The New Broadway Revival - Starting March 2014

Any discussion related to any production or staging of Boublil and Schönberg's Les Misérables.
deHavilland

Re: The New Broadway Revival - Starting March 2014

Postby deHavilland » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:54 pm

Of course it's still there, it's a plaque!

Also, breaking news: Charlotte Maltby has just been replaced by Sam Hill as Cosette. No word yet on why. That's too bad for Charlotte, but I'm happy for Sam and I quite like her Cosette.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:22 pm

Oh now that's interesting...I wonder why.
Sam certainly seems to be well regarded.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:47 pm

deHavilland wrote:Of course it's still there, it's a plaque!

It just doesn't get featured alot-hopefully this will change with the return of the show it belongs to. :)

A wild new Les Mis Broadway website appeared! http://evolutionoftherevolution.net/
Resident Les Miz prop expert and collector
Non licet omnibus adire Corinthum
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:52 am

Because she's "too young" in comparison to Marius (27) and Éponine (over 30). Which totally makes sense since they were all hired at the same time and everyone knew the whole time Charlotte was 20 and things have changed so much since first rehearsal got everyone in the same room.

In other words, management is being wanky as usual and Charlotte is just the latest victim of someone wanting to fire someone. Richard Jay Alexander is PISSED AS HELL all over Facebook, so this may be a "stay tuned" thing where it could get even more dramatic.

Edited to add the link to her Facebook post: https://www.facebook.com/cpmaltby/posts ... eam_ref=10 Be sure to read RJA's comment.
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:07 am

I found the Richard Jay-Alexander thing very interesting, actually, given the reputation that he tends to have as far as actors are concerned. I'll try not to hope for further wank while sort of still hoping for further wank.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:07 am

MmeBahorel wrote:Because she's "too young" in comparison to Marius (27) and Éponine (over 30). Which totally makes sense since they were all hired at the same time and everyone knew the whole time Charlotte was 20 and things have changed so much since first rehearsal got everyone in the same room.

That's why, a month into rehearsal, it sounds to me like there's rather more to it than "we just realised she's too young looking".
Abaisse Chief/Chef

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:47 am

Oh, it's just the excuse that they're giving her. Ben Davis was told his voice was "too operatic" when he was fired. Management comes up with really terrible excuses because they don't have good ones. If she were fired for cause, she wouldn't be posting on Facebook about their weird excuses because they wouldn't be making weird excuses, so it's obviously a messed up situation. A messed up situation that is all too familiar in US Les Mis companies. It seems to have "Cammack is firing people again for shits and giggles" written all over it.
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:53 pm

Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

Prisoner 9430

Postby Prisoner 9430 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:37 am

Valjean's soliloquy seemed a tad fast, but I LOVED the way Ramin did the "gave me a number and murdered Valjean" and also the "take an eye for an eye" part. "Another story must begin" almost rivals his West End performance (which is my favourite)

Prisoner 9430

Postby Prisoner 9430 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:11 am

I'm really not a fan of Swenson's Javert (Aside from the suicide). Stars didn't feel right and he didn't do it for me in One Day More, maybe his on stage presence makes up for it but I'll never know...
Javert's Suicide was wayyyyyy better than Stars, it might be because it's my favourite song in the show but he was outstanding in it. Not quite as good as Hadley's and nowhere near Crivello's, but the last two verses had that sound that I love.

I LOVED Enjolras, he has a bit of grunt in his voice that I feel the role needs. Needless to say DYHTPS was incredibly led by him. Courfeyrac was also amazing (I am a bit bias though because I played him last year :wink: )

Éponine was alright.

Bring Him Home was downright incredible, I think it's better than his West End and Toronto versions :D .

Combferre and Courfeyrac were absolutely inspiring in their last lines in the final battle. Enjolras' final line was delivered with such a great brute force, I loved it.

Empty Chairs was very well done, yeah I liked it a lot.

It's been about 6 months but I still can't listen to the finale, I'm sure it was great though.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:06 pm

Abaisse Chief/Chef

welch

Postby welch » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:02 pm

We saw it last night. Great to have it back on Broadway, and still downright thrilling to see the whole thing live, no re-shoots for perfection, feel the audience go wild from the first notes by the orchestra.

Perfect performance. Standing ovation. My arms finally got tired from clapping. Waves of loving admiration from the audience.

- Karimloo (Valjean): I was a little skeptical at first, feeling his voice is thinner, more like a Hugh Jackman voice than Colm Wilkinson, but the touches (yes, "murdered", for instance) carried me along until "Bring him home" which was exquisite. Wow

- Will Swenson (Javert): properly menacing and physical. Big, which fits (and also reminds me of Philip Quast, my ideal Javert). I liked his singing, from the "duel" to "Stars" and the suicide.

- Caissie Levey Fantine): just the right balance of acting-singing, as which she sings after havng been thrown in the street: begins singing as she sits. Or when she sings from her death-bed. Feels honest. Then she can also "Broadway belt" lyrics when the song and the story need it.

- Kyle Scatliffe (Enjolras): Wow! A tall actor, which fits the glorious Enjolras, and a voice that almost knocks out the back wall of the theater. Great! Welcome to Broadway, Kyle!

- Thenardier and Madame (Cliff Saunders and Keala Settle): I have trouble hearing anyone but Alun Armstrong as Thenardier, but Saunders does so many things right that the "happy couple" just fit. Saunders has great movements in "Dog Eat Dog" and "Beggars at the Feast"...

- Samantha Hill (Cosette): a stronger Cosette than I've remembered from other productions, which is good. Daughter saw the late '90s movie; thought Cosette was played as a whining spoiled kid. NOt this Cosette.

Still amazed that so many people move so much and get to their spots. That the fairly small stage can be made to seem so big. Live theater, forever!

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:01 am

I'll get around to properly reviewing the production, I will, but for now: some changes made for the Broadway incarnation of the 25th Anniversary staging. (As viewed in continuation from Toronto andh the US Tour.)

- The proscenium that was built into the Princess of Wales for the Toronto production has been flattened out to stretch closer to the walls and runs further into the audience at the Imperial. (The PoW has a very wide proscenium, so the fact that more of the pross set pieces now extend further into the house is largely due to the Imperial’s smaller setting.) As a result, there’s more movement into and out of it than there had been in Toronto.

- During Look Down, the convict lines split in two, with the first line traveling downstage and through the stage right pross entrance, and the second line through the stage right wings as opposed to the single line that had traveled offstage on both the tour and in Toronto.

- In the original 25th Anniv staging, Valjean took part in the farmwork during the On Parole sequence and it was his vigorous threshing that attracted the attention of the other labourers. Now, the little girl who runs through the crowd trips and scuffs her knee and when she sits down in tears, Valjean goes over to see if she’s alright and is pushed away by her father (Max Quinlan), which results in the rest of the labourers questioning who he is.

- The moment with Petit Gervais has been taken out. (I attribute this to the addition of the little girl beat above. It would look unbalanced for Valjean to show concern for one child and than blatantly scare another off two seconds later.)

- Ramin’s convict Valjean now very obviously wears a regular convict shirt underneath the red sleeved jacket. When he sits down at the Bishop’s table, the Bishop removes the jacket for him. (Which is why it’s so easy for Ramin to tear his shirt off at the end of the Soliloquy. Also new though more of a Ramin thing than a staging thing.)

- Ramin has a new wig as mayor/older Valjean which is shorter and curlier and seems to match Hugh Jackman’s look in the film.

- The Factory Fight between Fantine and the Factory Girl appears to be better staged.

- Levy starts out I Dreamed a Dream a capella, a la the film version up to “there was a time, then it all went wrong.”

- The sailors at the top of Lovely Ladies pass around a telescope and perform another “inanimate object used as a penis” gag. Because the show didn’t have enough of those or something.

- Track-related costume change: in Toronto, Sam Hill wore the white skivvies with the blue pullover, now it’s Nikki M. James who wears it.

- No one seems to yell “it’s a runaway cart!” in the runaway cart sequence, just “look out!” This might be a dropped line kind of thing, but although a fairly obvious piece of exposition, I think it’s kind of necessary.

- The process of rescuing Fauchelevent appears less organized. On tour and in Toronto, it was very obvious that some of the bystanders were going to step in and pull him out before the cart is lifted, now Ramin has the cart fully lifted up before anyone moves to do anything.

- The fight sequence during the Confrontation appears to be better staged. Additionally: Javert manages to force Valjean to his knees and wrench an arm behind his back to cuff his right wrist - though not his left! - before Valjean breaks free and wraps the end of the chain around his hand.

- During Who Am I? the two individuals flanking the judge (as played by Enjolras) on either side of the dais (usually Marius and Feuilly) have been removed and only Kyle Scatliffe appears there.

- On the US Tour, Grantaire doubled as the blind man in Master of the House. In Toronto, John Rapson (Grantaire) did this track in previews, but then the role was given to Chris Zonneville (Montparnasse) after opening. With the new revival, it appears that Dennis Moench (Claquesous) now plays the blind man and John is now one of the three drinkers who enter the inn first, while Jason Forbach (Feuilly) has taken on John’s Toronto track as the drunk man who sits at the same table as the three drinkers. The original Feuilly track included playing the blind man’s valet, though this role was removed for Toronto and is still no longer present with this new revival.

- Both the tour and the Toronto production included one of Thenardier’s “sons of whores” on crutches, though the crutches appeared to be all that’s wrong with him. Max Quinlan plays him as a - somewhat less than might be politically correct and for want of a better term - village idiot.

- During Do You Hear the People Sing, in Toronto, David Silvestri (Combeferre) sang his verse directly to Jonathan Winsby (Courfeyrac), though it didn’t make terribly much sense to ask Courfeyrac if he would “give all he can give.” Now, the students - including Grantaire and Gavroche, who in previous incarnations had stood off to the side - crowd around Enjolras when DYHTPS starts, leaving Marius to stand awkwardly alone on stage right. Combeferre now sings the verse directly to him, compelling him to join in the group.

- The US tour and Toronto had Combeferre carrying the flag during DYHTPS, now Max Quinlan (Prouvaire) does.

- At the end of DYHTPS, Marius and Éponine exit through the stage right proscenium entrance when they head to Cosette’s rather than stage left. (This threw me because Mientus led the way and I’m so used to them leaving through stage left that I thought Nikki was going to chastise him for going the wrong way as Éponine should really be the one leading: she’s the one who know where they’re going.)

- On both the tour and in Toronto, Alan Shaw’s Joly was shot and knocked off the barricade during the First Attack and this has been removed from Chris McCarrell’s Joly track. He remains at his post at the far stage right end of the barricade until Drink With Me.

- After Marius and Cosette’s introduction at the wedding and the Weddng Chorale, John Rapson as the Major Domo introduces their wedding cake, which is wheeled onstage, partially consumed by Mme Thenardier and then wheeled off.

- The “this one’s a queer!” kiss is now with Max Quinlan’s Prouvaire track instead of the Joly track.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:52 pm

This is really useful, thank you :)

Sad that they've taken out Petit Gervais, that was one change I actually really liked in the 25th anniversary version.

And yay, objects as fake penises jokes :roll: How witty and original :roll:
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:31 am

Return to “Les Misérables”