The New Broadway Revival - Starting March 2014

Any discussion related to any production or staging of Boublil and Schönberg's Les Misérables.
Acaila

The New Broadway Revival - Starting March 2014

Postby Acaila » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:06 pm

I just realised that we somehow don't have a thread for this yet!
A new Broadway production starts in about six months time. It's the 25th Anniversary Production with which a lot of people are familiar. Rumours of pre-Broadway changes have swirled around the Toronto production too with people tweeting about new bits being composed and moved around.

A good place to start I suppose would be casting.
Who would you like to be cast?
Who do you think will be cast?
Will there be any stunt casting going on?
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

deHavilland

Re: The New Broadway Revival - Starting March 2014

Postby deHavilland » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:09 pm

I don't know that they're going to start it out with any really dramatic stunt casting, at least from the general celebrity world. Like, I wouldn't expect them to pull out Justin Bieber and call him the new Marius, but out of the pool of Les Mis-related celebrities, I could see Alfie Boe showing up a Valjean. Particularly given they've been in talks with him for quite some time regarding doing exactly that. (Though that particular rumor mill has died down considerably, so I think it might be off the table at the moment.)
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:12 pm

I really fervently hope so! I suppose I could look up what he is doing with himself these days but....that would involve actually having to deal with remembering him, and I don't want to do that :(

I guess one of the big questions would be if they'd get anyone out of the movie into it.
A friend was hoping for Tveit, but I think he's probably the least likely (except for maybe Crowe!).

Jason Forbach hasn't, unlike other US Tour folk who were also auditioning, said that he didn't get in, so I continue to hope that he will be in the show. And hopefully he'll regrow his hair for it after doing Miss Saigon.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:25 pm

They might decide to just wig him. Blonde wigs are super in right now in Enjolrati land.

Of the movie cast, I honestly would not be surprised to see a special limited engagement featuring Anne Hathaway. Probably not right off the top, but somewhere in there. Broadway loves its celebrity limited engagements and I have a feeling that's something Hathaway would really love to do if she had a couple months off between whatever else she was doing.

I don't think Jackman can pull it off onstage. I don't even think he pulled it off in the movie, but Valjean's a different, very physically demanding beast onstage and I don't think Jackman can - or would - do it. Tveit might be a maybe, but for some reason I just don't really see that being a thing.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:30 pm

Yeah, I wondered about a wig. But I think he's mentioned that they tried to wig him on the tour and it looked a mess? (I get the impression he's like Tveit in that he has fantastically fluffy thick hair that doesn't take very well to them).
Abaisse Chief/Chef

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:38 pm

Ah, but once he's cut it all off for Miss Saigon, he won't have fantastically fluffy hair anymore. And it'll be easier to tell him to just keep it short than to do the initial cutting it all off if there's a possibility of him doing it without a wig. With Saigon, that's not even an option.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:59 pm

*sniff* It better be a darn good wig :cry:
Abaisse Chief/Chef

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:26 pm

Oh! This reminds that I had a conversation with Aaron Walpole the other night about actor's unions and how difficult it is for him as a Canadian, having used up all his freebie performances for American Equity and SAG. And that "when he brings this to New York in March, he's going to have to join the union properly." So he'll be in the Broadway production, most likely as a Valjean cover, which is what he's doing in Toronto (he's on every Thursday, when Ramin's off) and on the US Tour.

JVJ10642

Postby JVJ10642 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:14 pm

deHavilland wrote:Oh! This reminds that I had a conversation with Aaron Walpole the other night about actor's unions and how difficult it is for him as a Canadian, having used up all his freebie performances for American Equity and SAG. And that "when he brings this to New York in March, he's going to have to join the union properly." So he'll be in the Broadway production, most likely as a Valjean cover, which is what he's doing in Toronto (he's on every Thursday, when Ramin's off) and on the US Tour.

I have tickets for this Thursday. Will Ramin be off?

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:22 pm

For this Thursday, I'm not sure. I think I heard that Ramin was doing all the preview performances and not taking his Thursdays off until after opening, when the schedule settles into its normal pattern. (Right now they have shows on Monday but not on Sunday, which is only for the preview weeks.) I just asked someone, though, so I'll be able to let you know for sure in a bit. If it's not Ramin, it might actually be David Silvestri. Because Alan Walpole was on the tour, he doesn't need an equity-required put-in, so it makes more sense to put Silvestri in for his first performance during previews, after which point Aaron will take over on Ramin's days off.

But that's just me saying in a lot of words that I'm not sure. Let you know in about twenty minutes when I hear back. ;)

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:33 pm

Update: had someone check the weekly schedule on the cast board and it doesn't say anything, so Ramin should be in.

JVJ10642

Postby JVJ10642 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:39 pm

Thanks so much. Coming from SF bay Area.
Will give my thoughts.

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:42 pm

No problem! I hope you enjoy, and I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts! :D (That's a long way to come!)

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:51 pm

JVJ10642 wrote:Thanks so much. Coming from SF bay Area.
Will give my thoughts.

That is some great Les Mis dedication there!
And hello! Do post a thread in the introductions forum so we can welcome you properly :)
Abaisse Chief/Chef

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:12 pm

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/18 ... rs-Respond

Now that's sort of interesting. As soon as I saw the article, I was like, mm, Patrick Wilson in Les Mis. But as who, there aren't really any Raoul-ish characters in Les Mis, Raoul's like a mutation of Marius and Enjolras and even then not really. Then I realized it's been like ten years since he played Raoul and that if he were going to do something in Les Mis, it'd be Valjean or Javert most likely.

Which appears to have a good amount of support. And is interesting. (But unlikely.)

Return to “Les Misérables”