Favorite Song

Any discussion related to any production or staging of Boublil and Schönberg's Les Misérables.
Acaila

Re: Favorite Song

Postby Acaila » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:52 am

You may be lazy, but you are correct :)
http://youtu.be/jrz84DgZlO4
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

grantaire

Postby grantaire » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:53 am

Auf die Barrikaden wrote:Right now my memory produces the image of Robert Madge delivering the lines in the 25th concert...I'm too lazy to verify myself though.

Ha knew it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... tlR4M#t=54
Well done brain, well done. Have some food as reward.

Did anyone else think Madge was a bit old for a Gavroche? Perhaps it's just me, but I always picture Gavroche as, like, ten.
"Grantaire, put that bottle DOWN!"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:55 am

I get annoyed with younger Gavroches because they're usually cast for cuteness. Older Gavroches usually act it far better.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

grantaire

Postby grantaire » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:00 pm

Acaila wrote:I get annoyed with younger Gavroches because they're usually cast for cuteness. Older Gavroches usually act it far better.

Very true. Still, I think age is important - or at least how old they appear to be. I couldn't take Madge seriously just 'cos he looked nearly grown.
"Grantaire, put that bottle DOWN!"

CeridwenLynne
Location: At the Cafe Musain discussing politics with Enjolras.

Postby CeridwenLynne » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:16 pm

I love every song so it's very difficult to choose one but I have to say Drink With Me would be my favorite. It's so moving and sad.
" He makes no vain sacrifice who fights for a cause. All here are ready to die so that our brothers may live as free men. Liberty... sweet liberty... come fight with those who defend you." ----Enjolras.

Dr Craven

Postby Dr Craven » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:21 am

Tricky question.

Both soliloquies are mind-blowingly good, and perfect in their emotional exposition and development. The vocal lines and lyrics are exquisite, and the parallels and contrasts between the two are sublime ('turn your heart into stone'/'my heart is stone and still it trembles').

Red and Black has great interactions between the students, and also a wonderful melody (David Burt may be a comparatively weak Enjolras, but his 'it is time for us all to decide who we are' never fails to give me serious chills). The song shifts seamlessly from low key and contemplative to huge and stirring, and is outstanding in each.

Who Am I? isn't the most intricate song, but it's still fantastic - the instrumentation perfectly reflects Valjean's turmoil and then triumphant surrender. The final section of the song, in the courtroom, is one of the most moving parts of the show for me - the high note only hammers the awesomeness in further.

The Final Battle is awe inspiring; the more recent standard of singing rather than shouting on 'until the earth is free' is a great improvement on the already powerful final moments before the barricade falls. The series of instrumental reprises which follow are too very powerful, especially the rising strings of Bring Him Home as the bodies of Enjolras and Gavroche are revealed. That would have to be the most emotional moment in the show for me.

All three of Valjean and Javert's confrontations are fantastic, all tied together by their use of counter melodies over the Look Down instrumentation. Undoubtedly my favourite moment in the Tenth Anniversary Concert is the third of these, before Javert's Suicide - Quast's 'I warned you I would not give in' is just huge.

Stars is another excellent one, probably the one I most often find myself singing. The number of changes it's undergone mean there's a number of forms to enjoy it in, which I find to be a good thing, as there are a few different versions of the instrumentation which I appreciate equally. Then there's the two endings; I love both, but I'm partial to the original, since it was the first I heard and listened to frequently. And then from that, there's the two variations on the final note, one as appears on the OLC and the other on the Barbican recording - I love both. This song would be a contender for my favourite for the fact that there's been so much variation within it, meaning lots of versions which are different but equally effective.

One Day More. I don't think I really need to justify that - so much happening, and interwoven so perfectly with pretty much every musical motif from the first act used effectively.

The Finale is wonderful - I'm counting everything from 'Alone I wait in the shadows' to the final note as one song, which I think is reasonable. Éponine and Fantine's harmonies can move me to tears when done right. I'd list Come To Me as another favourite, but mainly for the beautiful melody, which is used to even stronger effect in the finale, so I'll just leave it as a side note here.

Fantine's Arrest is also damn cool - Bamatabois' 'It's the same with a tart' bit and Javert's verses especially.

So basically I love all of them, this question is unfair :'(

EDIT: It's 1am and I really didn't mean to write such a long post when I started... Oops.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:01 am

So long and yet you still didn't give an answer :p ;)
Though I do appreciate your highlighting of some of the bits that don't really get considered as songs. Both of Javert's bits where he shows up and sorts things out in his inimitable style are favourites of mine, with probably his bit in The Robbery slightly edging ahead because of that awesome electric guitar in the earlier arrangements. Similarly there are some great moments in the barricade scenes.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

LauraLeZunzu

Postby LauraLeZunzu » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:28 am

I LOVE Drink With Me. I loved it in the movie, but in some comments realised it was longer on the theatre, so when I checked it out it was marvellous.
I like One Day More even more than DYHTPS, because... I don't know, you can relate the song to too many things... but they are two of my favs either.
I love Who Am I, but most since I read the book. Before I thought it was good, but it didn't impressed me that much.
And the soliloques depend more than the others (for me) on who is performing them, as they are monologues, Javert and Valjean need to express so much in a few words. I find a monologue harder to express than a song played by many people, is like in the monologue you can't distract the attention to the situation, you have to create it. So they can be great or not, not like DYHTPS that is easily epic 8)

Morbidmuch_

Postby Morbidmuch_ » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:11 pm

I think it's reaaaaaally difficult to choose a favourite, so I'm not even going to try. But one song that never fails to make me tear up is At the End of the Day. The chord progression changes from minor to major at "At the end of the day there's another day dawning" comes with such a promise of hope that I just cry. Also the epilogue, pretty much as soon as Fantine starts singing "Come with me, where chains will never bind you". From there on I'm in full tears until the end of the show.
Lamarque est mort [disco dances patriotically]

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:21 pm

I think "Red and Black." It's just so revolutionary. Second DYHTPS. Inspiring, and I like the original French lyrics better, as seen in translations, especially where Feuilly says he'd be the first name on the monument. Beats the blood of the martyrs line. More personal, shows more individual determination.

That is in DYHTPS, right? I don't know the show well enough to be sure...have only watched it/listened to it 6 times, I think, all on the computer, and 3 or 4 of those were in non English languages which doesn't help this not very musical person learn the words.

My goal is to learn a song or two so I can sing it to myself while cleaning up my parents' kitchen. It's boring and they don't have a radio to listen to.
Don't mess with Texas! We mess up enough by ourselves.
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:13 pm

Yep, it's A La Volonte du Peuple:
"A la volonté du peuple,
Je fais don de ma volonté.
S'il faut mourir pour elle,
Moi je veux être le premier,
Le premier nom gravé
Au marbre du monument d'espoir"

I remember hearing that, when I had enough French to understand it and thinking, "Woah! The boy does not fuck around :shock: "
Abaisse Chief/Chef

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:45 am

Acaila wrote:....
Moi je veux être le premier,
Le premier nom gravé
Au marbre du monument d'espoir"

I remember hearing that, when I had enough French to understand it and thinking, "Woah! The boy does not fuck around :shock: "

No kidding.
I can remember thinking like that when I was considerably younger. I see a lot of my younger self in the barricade boys. Good thing there was nothing going on when I was that age--I think now, but then I was absolutely frantically frustrated.
Don't mess with Texas! We mess up enough by ourselves.
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now.

Postby 23623 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:21 pm

Oh...haven't really thought about this. I don't think I have a “favorite” song because I love all of them! :oops:

I love A La Volonte du Peuple. I still sing the OFC lyrics by default. But in fact I love the Epilogue lyrics even better. I remember singing DYHTPS all the time when I just got into the fandom, but later I found the message in Epilogue more powerful and complicated. It's such a heartbreaking ending to a heartbreaking story, but meanwhile it brings so much hope! Also, La Faute A Voltaire, that's one of the main reasons I love OFC.

I like Marius' part in Red and Black because he's such a cutie! :P Marius' interaction with Éponine is quite adorable if the actors play it right. I also love Cosette's lines in In My Life. I'm probably the only fan of Castle on a Cloud in this fabdom, but yeah I like it. And of course, I SAW HIM ONCE. Rebecca sings like an angel on OLC. Never understand why the song got cut.

Fantine's death and Valjean's death have made me cry several times. So beautiful and so sad. I love the instrumental bits after Final Battle too but I always skip it when watching bootlegs. I've never seen any Enjolras dying on barricade. You know why? Because the background music is BRING HIM HOME of all songs they can use, and I can't help but think “if only Valjean could save them all!” :cry:
Revolution, but civilization

Ursula_F

Postby Ursula_F » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:24 pm

I'm going to say "One Day More," because it includes so many bits of other songs within it, so it's a way of not having to actually choose JUST one. ;)

Postby 23623 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:27 pm

Ursula_F wrote:I'm going to say "One Day More," because it includes so many bits of other songs within it, so it's a way of not having to actually choose JUST one. ;)

Oh yes, ODM! That's precisely my strategy when someone who doesn't know LM really well asks me this question. :lol:

I remember after watching TAC my favorite LM songs were actually Stars, Master of the House and Javert's suicide. 8)
Revolution, but civilization

Return to “Les Misérables”