Favorite Song

Any discussion related to any production or staging of Boublil and Schönberg's Les Misérables.
grantaire

Favorite Song

Postby grantaire » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:30 pm

Basically what the title says. What's your favorite song in Les Mis, and why? Mine's a tie - I love Drink with Me, because it's so beautifully sad, and the Grantaire bit just makes you want to cry, and I also love DYHTPS (who doesn't?) just 'cos it's so powerful and awesome.
"Grantaire, put that bottle DOWN!"

WhoIam

Re: Favorite Song

Postby WhoIam » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:00 pm

I love all the songs, and I love different songs at different times. Singing Lovely Ladies during gym because it's a loathesome hell is okay, right?

Overall, though, my choice would be the Epilogue/Finale, because it goes right from this heartbreaking moral message about love to this inspiring song about the future - "even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise" - reminding me that no matter how horrible today might be, tomorrow will be better, and I can make it that way.
All the world's a party, and I'm usually the awkward wallflower in the corner with a glass of water and a copy of Les Mis.

grantaire

Postby grantaire » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:05 pm

WhoIam wrote:I love all the songs, and I love different songs at different times. Singing Lovely Ladies during gym because it's a loathesome hell is okay, right?

Overall, though, my choice would be the Epilogue/Finale, because it goes right from this heartbreaking moral message about love to this inspiring song about the future - "even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise" - reminding me that no matter how horrible today might be, tomorrow will be better, and I can make it that way.

Wow. You're a WHOLE lot more philosophical than I am. Maybe I need to rethink my favorite songs.

WhoIam

Postby WhoIam » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:22 pm

I'm just a philosophical person by nature, I guess. As I said, my favorite songs change with my mood. When I'm feeling silly, it's Master of the House. Liking the tune or the poetry or the feels it gives you are all equally valid reasons.
All the world's a party, and I'm usually the awkward wallflower in the corner with a glass of water and a copy of Les Mis.

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:58 pm

Always, always Drink With Me. Largely for the emotional component but also because it's a great ensemble number, everyone is doing something, there's lots going on and plenty to watch and see. The characters really come out here in their interaction with one another, especially (thanks largely owed to David Thaxton) Grantaire and Enjolras.

But also that counterpoint and the female harmonies. Absolutely gorgeous music.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:23 am

One Day More. The whole Les Mis in a nutshell. Fav forever. One Day More! *at the BARRICADES of freeedoooooooooom*
Resident Les Miz prop expert and collector
Non licet omnibus adire Corinthum
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:25 am

Auf die Barrikaden wrote:One Day More. The whole Les Mis in a nutshell. Fav forever. One Day More! *at the BARRICADES of freeedoooooooooom*

Agreed!
"Cure your Cholera with boiled water and bananas"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:02 am

I love every single one really, but my favourite will always be Stars.
I think it's musically beautiful and the crescendo moments are utterly sublime.
It's one of the songs that I will actually sit and hum the accompanying parts to rather than just the melody, which I think is a sign that the song offers more than just a catchy tune.
And come on, it's Javert. My absolute favourite character in musical theatre, and it's his big moment. Being an astronomy geek, at least in my younger days, I bloody loved the metaphor too.
And man, I love those fairy lights in the background!
I adore both versions. Certainly the arrangement was better in the original version I would say, and I think it fits the character that it is brought to a less extrovert conclusion.
But equally, I'm not going to argue with a big musical theatre finish that elicits a very deserved ovation.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:02 am

I love every single one really, but my favourite will always be Stars.
I think it's musically beautiful and the crescendo moments are utterly sublime.
It's one of the songs that I will actually sit and hum the accompanying parts to rather than just the melody, which I think is a sign that the song offers more than just a catchy tune.
And come on, it's Javert. My absolute favourite character in musical theatre, and it's his big moment. Being an astronomy geek, at least in my younger days, I bloody loved the metaphor too.
And man, I love those fairy lights in the background!
I adore both versions. Certainly the arrangement was better in the original version I would say, and I think it fits the character that it is brought to a less extrovert conclusion.
But equally, I'm not going to argue with a big musical theatre finish that elicits a very deserved ovation.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:02 am

I'd put Stars as my favorite solo number-however it's still ruined for me by the Gavroche lines afterwards. Wish they would simply put them after "clear this garbage off the street!"-as they originally (Barbican) were. All that fiddling in recent years and they never came up with that idea.
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:14 am

Hear hear! I don't consider them as part of the song though, and I use the Manchester Highlights version over the CSR when I'm putting it on playlists and such.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

grantaire

Postby grantaire » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:18 am

Auf die Barrikaden wrote:I'd put Stars as my favorite solo number-however it's still ruined for me by the Gavroche lines afterwards. Wish they would simply put them after "clear this garbage off the street!"-as they originally (Barbican) were. All that fiddling in recent years and they never came up with that idea.

I've actually never heard these Gavroche lines. They must have cut them out of the 10th and 25th anniversary concerts.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:23 am

Yeah, they cut quite a lot out of both concerts for time and for the difficulty in staging some bits.
You can hear them on the Complete Symphonic Recording, or on the 25th Anniversary Tour CD IIRC.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

grantaire

Postby grantaire » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:33 am

Acaila wrote:Yeah, they cut quite a lot out of both concerts for time and for the difficulty in staging some bits.
You can hear them on the Complete Symphonic Recording, or on the 25th Anniversary Tour CD IIRC.

Thanks! I'll be sure to look it up.

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:45 am

Right now my memory produces the image of Robert Madge delivering the lines in the 25th concert...I'm too lazy to verify myself though.

Ha knew it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... tlR4M#t=54
Well done brain, well done. Have some food as reward.

Return to “Les Misérables”