Directing Les Mis

Any discussion related to any production or staging of Boublil and Schönberg's Les Misérables.
singingstar1216

Directing Les Mis

Postby singingstar1216 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:54 pm

Has anyone here directed Les Mis? I plan to direct it, but I need details. I'm starting from scratch. How much does everything cost? Especially the rights to put on a certain number of performances. How did you raise the money? How did you create the set, especially the weird props like the barricade, the cart, the gate...I mean, they have to be sturdy so the people can climb them or go under them. How did you get the costumes? I know there are TONS of props. And set pieces are HUGE. And costumes are iconic, so the audience has particular costume expectations. Just anything important I'll need to know to put on this production will be great. If there's anything that helped you save up or get donations or anything, could you let me know?

I'll also post this elsewhere in case not everyone has seen it here.
Love is beautiful, but beauty is not love.

deHavilland

Re: Directing Les Mis

Postby deHavilland » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:19 pm

Sounds to me like you're not so much trying to direct it as trying to produce it as well. A lot of those things that you have questions about aren't really a director's primary concern; you bring in people to help you take care of details like costumes and props and set pieces, etc.

The rights are licensed through Music Theatre International (MTI) in both its regular and student (condensed for school performances) form. But it is notoriously difficult to get the rights to it as a professional, adult production. They have specifications about theatre size and distance from touring or standing productions as well as other community productions, etc. etc. The fees will depend on how long the show is running, where the show is located, etc. etc. But MTI's "request licensing" form is where you want to go to figure that out.

If directing is what you want to do, you're safer to find a local community theatre organization or school that's planning on obtaining the rights and then trying to find your way into it as a director. But they're probably not going to be interested in someone they don't know and chances are they already have a director in place/in mind.

I'll also post this elsewhere in case not everyone has seen it here.

That's not really necessary. If it's here somewhere, it's visible. Double-posting all over the place can be kind of annoying.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:26 pm

I haven't directed it yet, but I can perhaps offer some assistance.
Rights will usually depend on several factors - number of performances, size of auditorium and price of tickets. For a big license show like Les Mis, there will probably be additional restrictions such as a certain number of scores and such that you need to buy direct or rent from the license holder. They will also set restrictions on how you can market the show. You can find out these details by getting in touch with MTI with the sort of information described above and asking for a quote.
Raising the money will depend on your own company's background. Generally, places I have directed for have only done shows within their budget and make sure that previous productions fund future shows, so they don't need to fundraise especially. I would look carefully into that to see how you can balance things out. For that reason, it's certainly not something I would look at as a first production for a company.
When it comes to directing the show, it's not your job to create the set. You get a very very good capable set designer and explain your vision to him or her and get them to work out how it is done. A set designer will also know how to make set pieces safe and secure where necessary. A good director always uses the talent and knowledge of their team rather than trying to work stuff out themselves.
Costumes can be hired in many cases - a quick google should turn up places that you can hire complete sets of Les Mis costumes, though this always comes at a price. Personally, I would rather work with a good costume design team for a cheaper and more unique look, but that's my own preference as a director.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

singingstar1216

Postby singingstar1216 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:06 pm

Thank you!

Acaila wrote:I haven't directed it yet, but I can perhaps offer some assistance.
Rights will usually depend on several factors - number of performances, size of auditorium and price of tickets. For a big license show like Les Mis, there will probably be additional restrictions such as a certain number of scores and such that you need to buy direct or rent from the license holder. They will also set restrictions on how you can market the show. You can find out these details by getting in touch with MTI with the sort of information described above and asking for a quote.
Raising the money will depend on your own company's background. Generally, places I have directed for have only done shows within their budget and make sure that previous productions fund future shows, so they don't need to fundraise especially. I would look carefully into that to see how you can balance things out. For that reason, it's certainly not something I would look at as a first production for a company.
When it comes to directing the show, it's not your job to create the set. You get a very very good capable set designer and explain your vision to him or her and get them to work out how it is done. A set designer will also know how to make set pieces safe and secure where necessary. A good director always uses the talent and knowledge of their team rather than trying to work stuff out themselves.
Costumes can be hired in many cases - a quick google should turn up places that you can hire complete sets of Les Mis costumes, though this always comes at a price. Personally, I would rather work with a good costume design team for a cheaper and more unique look, but that's my own preference as a director.
Love is beautiful, but beauty is not love.

Return to “Les Misérables”