Les Mis Gone Wrong

Any discussion related to any production or staging of Boublil and Schönberg's Les Misérables.
Auf die Barrikaden

Re: Les Mis Gone Wrong

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:24 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPk7u9yHnCQ

Watch out for the highly accurate description what Bring him Home is about... *rolleyes*
Resident Les Miz prop expert and collector
Non licet omnibus adire Corinthum
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:53 pm

Darn, I was so sure when I clicked that that it would be Alfie Boe's appearance on The One Show the week of the 25AC where he totally mangled the plot!
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:00 pm

Has anyone heard orchestra bloopers?
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:33 pm

Oh yes. A while back, a friend of mine recorded a community production where the cast was decent, but the orchestra was simply horrible -- few if any of the players seemed to have practiced or learned the score at all. (If any of you are curious and want to hear a complete orchestral trainwreck, feel free to message me. As long as you promise not to sue for psychological/auditory trauma afterward. :lol: )

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:10 pm

Not orchestra bloopers, alas, but a couple Canadian production ones:

Once, Todd Waite, who played Enjolras in the original Canadian cast in 1989, was somehow thrown off the stage and into the audience, where he landed more or less in some woman's lap. They were both fine, but he was so mortified that he came out in costume during the interval to apologize to her.

Also in the original Canadian cast, they were in the habit of singing humorous parodies of the lyrics backstage and one evening, one of the convicts slipped and actually sang one onstage:
"When I get free,
I'll watch TV,
Then I'll dust!"

(This story was relayed to me by original cast member Duff MacDonald, but I don't recall who the convict in question had been, it wasn't Duff himself.)

And lastly, during preview week of the current Toronto production, Mark Uhre's (Enjolras) gun jammed onstage and when he went to pull it back, it cold cocked him in the face and gave him a black eye that lasted for two weeks.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

TheRandomPhangirl

Postby TheRandomPhangirl » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:00 pm

Our Éponine ended up singing "On my own, pretending he's inside me" in the second performance. Audience didn't notice.
I'm the one to shout "Down with Polignac!"

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:27 pm

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:44 pm

Apparently Earl has been making flubs like that a lot recently by his own admission on twitter :D
Abaisse Chief/Chef

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:58 am

Just been watching a boot of the 2011 Los Mis cast and whoops! The flag got stuck in the barricade so Daniel Diges has to spend basically all of his allotted flag-waving time trying to yank the damn thing out, ends up running out of time and just jumps off the barricade sans flag.

Never fear though, Courfeyrac manages to pull it out, wave it around for a second and then use it as a projectile against the advancing National Guardsmen. (Or just get rid of it so that it makes sense that Diges' corpse is sprawled across it in the cart.)
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Olivia_y

Postby Olivia_y » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:02 am

Good Lord these are hilarious! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I feel bad for laughing since it must be embarrassing for the actors but damn, they're just priceless...

The closest to a blooper I saw was when Gavroche went to throw the bag of bullets up over the barricade, and he threw it at completely the wrong angle so it sort of just hit the barricade and fell back. If it was someone's first time watching the show they might not even realise it was a mistake, and just think how sad it was that he died for nothing.

I remember reading somewhere (might be another thread on this forum) that there was an Enjolras (in an amateur production perhaps?) who fell off the barricade while he was supposed to be dead. Ouch. :shock:

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:20 pm

Ah, I've seen a missed bullet bag once now I think about it! But yes, like you say, that's not a serious problem even in the storytelling if it goes wrong.

I could believe an Enjolras falling out of the original replica version too. I swear they've changed the way they lie down on the flag now so they are less at right angles to the barricade, which feels like a safety choice to me.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:02 pm

The bullet bag has never needed to actually make it - it misses as often as it goes over, in my experience. (You try throwing a bag full of lead to a great height when you're dying - it should be hard!) Since it works both ways narratively, more effort is put into the singing and acting than the throwing.

To get around that, and better use their smaller space, Signature Theatre had a fantastic solution. The barricade doesn't turn, but Gav comes out on a bit of set that functions as sort of a balcony. He's the only one lit. He dies, and knocks the bullet bag off his little balcony so it falls down to the stage, so it makes it to the "other side" every time. The minitour that much of the 25th anniversary stole had the major flaw of trying desperately to do a book-based retrieval of Gav's body and the bullets, but without fully thinking it through. Gav climbed over the barricade, then hurried downstage through a gap, so everyone is acting as if he's on the upstage side (their backs are to us, the audience), but he's dying downstage. The bag doesn't have to go anywhere because this is still the "right" side of the barricade. But instead of retrieving him in the same fashion as he came "over", Grantaire just walked over and picked up the body, as if the director had forgotten that there was a barricade inbetween. But that's the only thing that needed fixed, and it is a fantastic solution to the problem of the bag. (the NG corpses were basically pulled from the orchestra pit)

So there are better options than trying to make a "dying" 11 year old try to land that throw (even Hugo didn't have him try anything that crazy *g*).
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:59 pm

Not quite so funny, but Jason Forbach fell between the two parts of the barricade in Fresno at the weekend and dislocated his shoulder :(.
Also I think Aaron Walpole brained himself on a carbine in Toronto recently?

These barricades man, you need to be careful on them! Someone could get seriously hurt in one of these stage revolutions!
Abaisse Chief/Chef

sekibun

Postby sekibun » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:18 pm

Since I was paying close attention to Aaron and Jason who do the Brujon track in the current Toronto production, I noticed the Thenardier always pokes Brujon in the eye, twice during "The attack on Rue Plumet." I asked Aaron Wadpole about this and he said that not only was it part of the stage direction, but also he has been poked in the eye for real a few times. Ouch.

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:33 pm

Similarly, when Cliff [Thenardier] steps on Perry [Marius] during Dog Eats Dog, he's misstepped and caught him in some awkward and uncomfortable places.

Return to “Les Misérables”