Les Mis Gone Wrong

Any discussion related to any production or staging of Boublil and Schönberg's Les Misérables.
Majestic_Picnob

Re: Les Mis Gone Wrong

Postby Majestic_Picnob » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:40 pm

I told this story in another thread once, but it actually fits better here, so, here goes.

A few months ago I atternded a production at my old high school. Pretty much everyone I knew personally had long since graduated, but I went anyway because a.) I like Les Mis, and b.) I like my old high school. And the talent was great (the kid playing Valjean in particular is definitely going to be Tony-worthy one day), the production values... not so much. The school had gotten a new director that year, and did it ever show. "Highlights" include...

* There was almost no body language in the production whatsoever. People just... stood there, singing (Kinda like the Hooper version amirite? Nyuck nyuck nyuck... I tease, I loved the movie). It was really distracting.
* The Lovely Ladies were dressed like Vegas showgirls, with the feathers in their hair and everything.
* When she came in after "Empty Chairs," the curtain operator dropped it on Cosette's head. Maybe whoever it was shipped M/E?
* At the end of the sewer scene, one of the guys playing a corpse rolled offstage to exit. He probably thought a dead guy getting up and walking off would look silly. Instead we were treated to a dead guy rolling off, which is infinitely funnier.
* And last but not least, the wedding guests did this weird kickline-esque thing during "Beggars."
"Oh my God! I'll never have time to strike a pose!"

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:23 pm

Trouser split reasonably often, but i love the idea of Bambi going through his scene with them not quite fastened.

Ryan Williams (Prouvaire in the tour in 2005-6) had a tendency to be really enthusiastic on stage. He has fallen off the barricade, split his trousers, and broken the flag. Twice. He broke the flag twice. (Prouvaire is the one who waves the giant flag in ODM.) He also enjoyed gleefully telling us all this at the stage door.
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:27 am

Oh gosh the trick chair!
So Ruthie Henshall told a story at her concert about that. She had obviously just died, and was lying there with her eyes closed while Confrontation happened. A Valjean understudy was on, he went to break the chair and was holding the wrong leg she later found out.
She, with her eyes closed, heard the chair break, then the audience gasp, then silence, then a loud sustained groaning noise. And nothing else happened for ages, no music, just a groaning noise.
She ended up totally breaking character and sitting up as subtly as she could and opening her eyes. Turns out the leg that Valjean was mean to be holding had flown off into the audience and hit someone. The person hadn't been badly hurt, but had been quick enough to realise that being hurt at a show translated into free tickets to every Cameron Mackintosh show in London that summer!
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Rachel

Postby Rachel » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:34 pm

There's also that famous story where Patti LuPone got bored during a show and was smoking and reading magazines in her dressing room. Some crew member rushes in and starts yelling at her, because Colm's on stage for the Epilogue and there's no Fantine.

Clearly, I have fantastic luck in the dating field.

Quotes to live by:
"This is highly illegal!" ~Inspector Javert (The Girl Nextdoor)

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:28 pm

Lovely story from Hartwig Rudolz during his 97 London stint as Javert:

Aber fast das schlimmste war hier in London bei Les Misérables. Manchmal, während ich auf den nächsten Auftritt warte, beantworte ich die Post und an diesem Tag habe ich mich sehr darauf konzentriert, bis ich auf einmal dachte "Es ist so still!" Da erkannte ich, dass die Studenten bereits alle tot waren und ich eigentlich schon auf der Bühne sein müsste. Sofort rannte ich Richtung Bühne und bermerkte dabei, dass ich meinem Mantel nicht mitgenommen hatte. Also sauste ich zurück, um ihn zu holen.

Und die ganze Zeit drehte sich auf der Bühne die leere Barrikade. So etwas ist mir noch nie vorher passiert und ich fühlte mich richtig schuldig. Ich habe ehrlich am ganzen Körper gezittert. Chris Langham (Thenardier) sagte zu mir: "Hardy, die Deutschen haben zwar den Krieg verloren, aber zum Schluss tauchten sie wieder auf."

Translation: he answers fan post between the time he leaves the barricade and reappears to search the bodies. One time he got so into it he missed his entry. He only noticed that everything had gone silent. After realising what just happened he rushed for the stage-only to forget his coat! He made a dash for it. Meanwhile the empty barricade turned and turned...he was ashaken with embarrasment only to get a tongue-in-cheek comment by Chris Langham, who said "Hardy, the Germans may have lost the war, but they always reappear at the end." :D
Resident Les Miz prop expert and collector
Non licet omnibus adire Corinthum
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:02 pm

Awww bless! At least that's a cute reason for missing his cue :lol:
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:50 pm

Have some more:
http://www.angelfire.com/musicals/lesmi ... opers.html
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=433

Byproduct results of a frantic search in the depths of abaisse why some production photos I found on google look almost exactly like the tour-but aren't. Mistery solved btw.
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:58 pm

Sirens were constant when the show was at the Palace: a fire station is across the street from the theatre. Rarely were the sirens perfectly timed like that for hilarity, though!
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:44 pm

The story about poor Clive Carter is hilarious :D
And I love the Convict!Marius wetting himself one too, that's so mean! :lol:
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:35 pm

To get the point about fast conductors in the Duisburg "did you know..." section I may add that we had many discussions and made alot of jokes about fast conducting back then. And they all were based on real experiences. Some demonstrated that you can run through the full 1987 standard show in barely 3 hours.

gazza

Postby gazza » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:12 am

My aunt went to see it, and apparently just after everyone died on the barricade an ambulance went by outside.

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:55 pm

A friend of mine saw a community production in California last night, and I got to listen to some of it so far... Wow. I don't think I've ever heard the pit orchestra for a musical mess up that much! The opening notes caused me to burst out laughing, and it hasn't gotten much better since then. It seems to be the orchestral equivalent of Vikidál Gyula's "2460-AAAAAARGH!!!", but applied to the whole show. Many of the onstage performers are decent, but yeah... I'm kind of in shock here. :shock:

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:14 pm

Have we mentioned anywhere the one about Colm Wilkinson getting locked out of the theatre on Broadway with his microphone still on and his rage turning the air rather blue? :D
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:20 pm

Or the one where Thenardier didn't get on stage on time. I think it was Gary Beach.
"Cure your Cholera with boiled water and bananas"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:37 pm

That's in the blooper video :)
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Return to “Les Misérables”