"So which one is Bahorel?" - Your guide to the TAC Amis

Any discussion related to any production or staging of Boublil and Schönberg's Les Misérables.
Acaila

"So which one is Bahorel?" - Your guide to the TAC Amis

Postby Acaila » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:36 pm

So, I was never very good at identifying which Ami is which on the Tenth Anniversary Concert DVD, so I thought I would make a little something up for those who have made similar comments.

This should hopefully help you tell which one is who and find out a little bit more about each of the actors. Not intended to be an exhaustive bio and I've probably made heaps of mistakes, but hey! Maybe it will stop you thinking Combeferre is the one who sings the start of Drink With Me! :oops:

Enjolras - Michael Maguire
Connection with Les Mis: original Broadway Enjolras, winning a Tony for the role
Other career highlights: Played Kes' dad in an episode of Star Trek: Voyager, and a number of other tv roles. Doesn't seem to have done much else of note in theatre though, though he was in a production of A Little Night Music that was broadcast on PBS. Was a stockbroker before he was a performer and now has a law degree.

Combeferre - David Bardsley
Connection with Les Mis: Played Combeferre, Grantaire, Enjolras and understudied Javert in London. Also played Enjolras on tour and at the Chelmsford Concert. The internet tells me he even understudied Valjean in London, though I haven't heard anything of him having played the role.
Other career highlights: Was one of the eponymous brothers in Blood Brothers. Currently performing in Billy Elliot, where he is an alternate in the part of Billy's Dad and used to share a dressing room with Killian Donnelly (there are adorably cute pictures of the pair of them <3).

Courfeyrac - Jerome Pradon
Connection with Les Mis - Marius in the Paris Revival Cast, also played Javert in the West End
Other career highlights: Played Judas in the filmed remake of Jesus Christ Superstar. Was in the original London cast of the Lord of the Rings musical as Aragorn *snort* and Martin Guerre. Also played Chris in Miss Saigon, meaning he's done all three of the big Boublin & Schonberg musicals. Recently performed in Follies in Toulon with Fra Fee, which is a very Les Mis sentence to type.

Feuilly - Matthew Cammelle
Connection with Les Mis - Played Prouvaire, Feuilly, Marius and Enjolras in London, and Marius at the Chelmsford Concert
Other career highlights: Played Raoul in Phantom and was also a standby for the Phantom. Now makes good use of those credits in Three Phantoms, spawning many pictures of him as the cute straight man to the craziness of John Owen-Jones and Earl Carpenter.

Jean Prouvaire - Peter Polycarpou
(he gets a gif, just because. Come on guys, an OLC performer deserves something a little extra)
Connection with Les Mis - Prouvaire in the Original London Cast. Later played Grantaire and Thenardier. Also played the Pimp in the 25th Anniversary Concert (which was part of his ensemble track in the OLC)
Other career highlights - Outside of theatre, he might be most famous for being one of the jailed husbands in the 90s UK sitcom, Birds of a Feather. He has also played John in the OLC of Miss Saigon, Phantom in The Phantom of the Opera, Beadle Bamford in the Chichester run of the Michael Ball Sweeney Todd and Ali Hakim in the filmed National Theatre production of Oklahoma! with Hugh Jackman.

Joly - Darryl Knock
Connection with Les Mis: Played Marius in London
Other career highlights: Played Edgar Linton in the Cliff Richard musical Heathcliff and on the video of it. Also appeared in the ensemble of the West End production of Anything Goes that featured Elaine Paige and John Barrowman in leading roles.

Lesgles - Mike Sterling
Connection with Les Mis: Played Feuilly and understudied Enjolras, then moved on to play Marius, all in London. Returned a decade later to play Valjean. Played Marius on the UK tour and on the Manchester CD, and Combeferre at the Chelmsford Concert.
Other career highlights: Like Matt Cammelle, has also played both Raoul and The Phantom. In Mike's case, he's performed both roles in London and on tour.

Grantaire - Anthony Crivello
Connection with Les Mis - Original Broadway Grantaire, who went straight on to play Javert once Terrence Mann left.
Other career highlights: Won a Tony award playing Valentin in Kiss of the Spider Woman. Well known for playing the title role in The Phantom of the Opera in Las Vegas. Also played a mobster in the soap One Life to Live, according to wikipedia, which gives some fantastic mental images of mafioso!Grantaire
Last edited by Acaila on Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

deHavilland

Re: "So which one is Bahorel?" - Your guide to the TAC Amis

Postby deHavilland » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:45 pm

Yay you did the thing! (And I adore the title!)

There is no lie in the fact that my favorite part of the TAC is when Bardsley takes over from Maguire in Do You Hear the People Sing for Combeferre's verse. The moment he steps up with "will you join in our crusade? Who will be strong and stand with me?" I melt. Because his voice has so much power and command behind it that it's wonderful. And then you add in Cammelle for Feuilly's verse and it's all beautiful.

As for "so which one is Bahorel?"

It's technically Keith Burns. Who was on for Montparnasse in the concert (and also played him and arguably Bahorel in the Original London Cast and appeared again as Montparnasse in the 25th Anniv) and if you watch the student scenes, you can see him standing up with them in the background, though he has no lines.

"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:00 pm

Oh that is precious! I knew he was playing Montparnasse, and I had a vague notion that someone was lurking around in that jacket, but I didn't realise that he was actually being both! :D

Just by way of explanations, I always thought that David Bardsley was playing Courfeyrac, Matt Cammelle was playing Combeferre, Jerome Pradon was playing Feuilly and Poly was playing Lesgles. Darryl Knock was about the only one I ever looked at and thought "Yeah, you are a Joly" and was actually correct about :oops:.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:04 pm

I'm not entirely sure when exactly the Montparnasse for Bahorel thing started. Montparnasse has always doubled as a student, but I think it was a particular actor having read the brick and saying "oh, well, we don't have a Bahorel, so from now on I'll be "Bahorel" instead of "Student." But that evolved over the years to the point where "Bahorel," still just "Student" in the playbill of course, usually gets shot first and spends Drink with Me getting bandaged up. But if we apply the Montparnasse-for-Bahorel theory as far back as the original cast...

That would make Burns Bahorel in the OLC, the TAC and the 25th, which would make Bahorel the oldest and most experienced of the students in the 25th Concert, awww yeaaah.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:06 pm

deHavilland wrote:I'm not entirely sure when exactly the Montparnasse for Bahorel thing started. Montparnasse has always doubled as a student, but I think it was a particular actor having read the brick and saying "oh, well, we don't have a Bahorel, so from now on I'll be "Bahorel" instead of "Student." But that evolved over the years to the point where "Bahorel," still just "Student" in the playbill of course, usually gets shot first and spends Drink with Me getting bandaged up. But if we apply the Montparnasse-for-Bahorel theory as far back as the original cast...

That would make Burns Bahorel in the OLC, the TAC and the 25th, which would make Bahorel the oldest and most experienced of the students in the 25th Concert, awww yeaaah.

This makes me so unspeakably happy. :D
Abaisse Chief/Chef

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:38 pm

Minus the part where I'm not sure that Burns stood with the students, which would make him just Montparnasse and not Montparnasse/Student (Bahorel.) Given the nature of the 25th Anniv, which was to cram as many performers into roles as possible rather than splitting the tracks traditionally, this might not hold up.

Unless of course we just agree that it does.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:00 pm

All those in favour!

Pop quiz!
Now test your knowledge of the TAC Amis with these videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6wqHPtBWf4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mlzn4GDtDg
Abaisse Chief/Chef

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:12 pm

What do I win if my knowledge proves true? ;)

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:16 pm

Umm.....the chance to do a follow up post with Patron Minette? :D
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Dr Craven

Postby Dr Craven » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:21 am

This is such a great resource, especially for people like me who can't tell one from another.

Acaila wrote:Jean Prouvaire - Peter Polycarpou
(he gets a gif, just because. Come on guys, an OLC performer deserves something a little extra)
Connection with Les Mis - Prouvaire in the Original London Cast. Later played Grantaire and Thenardier. Also played the Pimp in the 25th Anniversary Concert (which was part of his ensemble track in the OLC)

I love him and his crazy eyes. I'd never noticed him as the pimp in Lovely Ladies, that's pretty cool.

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:51 am

Similar idea, vaster scope:
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/ ... 600xpz.jpg

;) Misses names though.
Resident Les Miz prop expert and collector
Non licet omnibus adire Corinthum
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

Flynn

Postby Flynn » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:37 am

And that image perfectly encapsulates why I still can't tell half the Barricade Boys apart in the film.

(seriously, how the hell am I suppose to differentiate between Combeferre and Prouvaire?)

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:14 pm

Dr Craven wrote:This is such a great resource, especially for people like me who can't tell one from another.

Acaila wrote:Jean Prouvaire - Peter Polycarpou

I love him and his crazy eyes. I'd never noticed him as the pimp in Lovely Ladies, that's pretty cool.

Thanks! I'm glad you find it useful :D As I said above, I could tell them apart but thought they were all a different character! :D

As for Poly!vaire and his passionate looks, I found this post of him when I was searching for pictures yesterday and it made me laugh: http://thefleetstreetvicomte.tumblr.com ... aire-is-in

Thanks for that AdB! :D

Flynn - Telling those two apart wasn't a problem for me, because I recognised Killian Donnelly immediately. However, Prouvaire and Feuilly were the difficult ones for me, because my main memory of Alistair Brammer was that he had trademark tight curls as Marius. So I went through probably the whole movie thinking that Feuilly was Prouvaire and thinking "Man he looks a bit different up close!" and not recognising Brammer without them :oops:
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:06 pm

Except for Lesgles and Prouvaire, the TAC students are perfectly picked. Maybe they should have switched Polycarpou for Sterling? And I can totally see Michael Ball's Marius utter the famous "I have come to sleep with you" line to Pradon's Courfeyrac.

BTW: finding stage Bahorel pics is fun. :) Unnamed student but the only one besides Enjolras to wear a plain red vest?? Has always been Bahorel to me.
Resident Les Miz prop expert and collector
Non licet omnibus adire Corinthum
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:30 pm

Cammelle might have made a good Prouvaire with his adorable babyfaced passion. I still can't imagine Pradon as Courfeyrac though!
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Return to “Les Misérables”