Introducing a friend to LM

Any discussion related to any production or staging of Boublil and Schönberg's Les Misérables.
Acaila

Re: Introducing a friend to LM

Postby Acaila » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:29 pm

It's here but looks like the first and last parts are missing - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... JVELdX2LvM
I was thinking of the one with precious darling Charlie as Joly just before the end of the run, July 2006? That's better quality than the Sutton Foster one isn't it?
I don't have them downloaded to check and have only seen them once, but I think the September 2013 London videos were quite good too in terms of quality, if not a particularly exciting cast.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:52 pm

Yeah, July 14th or July 23rd, 2006 are both really well shot 3NT videos, too. (Which might even be what I had initially been thinking of.)
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Morbidmuch_

Postby Morbidmuch_ » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:55 pm

I introduced my best friend to Les Mis over New Years, after feeding her songs and trivia since my obsession started sometime in October (I'm such a newbie compared to most of you guys!). We saw some of the 25AC (because it's my favourite, don't shoot me) and when she asked if we could see the movie. I think for her, not knowing the story very well the movie was better to get a clear overlook of the plots and characters and such. Since then I know she's been alternating between the movie, TAC and the 25AC, as well as finding some other performances on youtube (which I do too, still being new to the fandom).
Lamarque est mort [disco dances patriotically]

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:24 pm

I think it was July 14th that I was thinking of. July 23rd is the final night of the tour IIRC?

While my friend knew the show through the CSR, I refused to let him watch the TAC (and deffo not the 25AC) until last year (so about 15 years of knowing each other!) because it was only last year he could see the London production. The concerts are good, but if you want someone to truly love it, staging is important imo.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Postby 23623 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:20 pm

Finally showed my friend the musical. We didn't have enough time to watch a full show, so I decided to skip some songs, pick good bits from various performances and explain the plot gaps myself. I was really glad that she, who claimed to hate bootlegs, was actually very bad at telling bootlegs from proshots. :lol: She didn't even realize the 1999 London video with JOJ was a bootleg!

Since I'm helplessly in love with Christopher Jacobsen's JVJ at the moment, we watched the international tour until "Look Down". I was so surprised that as someone who had never seen stage-Mis she could actually detect the uptempo. :shock: I feel like I sort of ruined the songs by constantly pausing and explaining to her why I loved his acting, which I wasn't sure if she really understood, lol. At Fantine's death, I gave her a lengthy lecture about the plot in the original novel. I told her how the trial goes, how Fantine dies, how Valjean ends up in prison and escapes once more in the Brick. At first I only intended to elaborate more about Fantine's death in the book (which is really sooooo tragic) but somehow lost control of my rambling. :oops:

Showed her TAC Stars for obvious reasons, but she didn't seem quite impressed. Couldn't believe that she didn't find anything notable about him. I always believe Quast's Javert should be totally mind-blowing for those who have only watched the movie, but oh man...what else could I use to get newbies into this fandom if even Quast's charm could fail? I wanted so badly to show her Suicide but we had to jump to the Epilogue after Final Battle, as we had very little time. :(

For Red and Black, I had thought about showing her something of David Thaxton but gave up the idea as soon as I remembered that terrible Marius. So we watched one with Jason Forbach as Enjolras. Had I watched the video myself before I would have picked Thaxton instead. I avoided an annoying Marius by getting an equally annoying one, plus an even more annoying Grantaire. :roll:
Btw, a funny thing happened while we were watching:
Friend: who's the guy with the wine bottle?
Me: he's Grantaire. Remember the name pun I told you?
Friend: Grantaire? Oh...is he the one in love with Enjolras?
Me: :shock: :shock: NO. Err...but you can take it this way if you like. (God, newbies nowadays...)

And then, watched IML and AHFOL from Berlin cast (for the best Marius/Cosette I could find in my small collection), Peter Lockyer's ALFOR (for the best Marius/Éponine) and JOJ's BHH.

Showed her the Final Battle from the Madrid revival because she demanded it. You know why? I have two videos from Madrid revival. To avoid confusion, I've labeled the one in which the flag gets stuck at the barricade "blooper", which made her curious. We ended up laughing to tears at poor Enjy's futile attempts to yank the flag out. :lol:

We finished with an Epilogue (in English) with Geronimo Rauch as Valjean. She seemed to be really moved. And It was not until we watched the Epilogue that I suddenly realized that I hadn't showed her anything of Anthony Warlow. I wouldn't forgive myself for this if she decided to give up on Les Mis (without seeing Warlow). She actually knows I like Warlow. She even gave me his CD as a birthday gift last year. Not letting her watch any video of him is such a stupid mistake!

Well...that's it. I tried my best. Hope I haven't scared her off with this bad introduction.
Revolution, but civilization

Return to “Les Misérables”