Community and School Productions

Any discussion related to any production or staging of Boublil and Schönberg's Les Misérables.
Prisoner 24653

Community and School Productions

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:02 am

I did a search and nothing like this came up, so I thought I'd start this topic. Basically, this is a topic where everyone can talk about community or school theatre productions of LM that they've seen or been involved with.

I mentioned a couple days ago in Le Cafe Mu(in)sain that I was auditioning for a community production here in Hawaii. The audition took place last night, and I sang "The Longer I Live" from Frank Wildhorn's Dracula. I didn't get called back, but I still found it to be an awesome experience.

The auditions were set up almost like a concert -- the auditionees got up on stage and sang their piece not just for the director and others in charge of casting, but also for the other auditionees, families, and friends seated throughout the theatre. I got to see a lot of fantastic performers (including some superb kids trying out for Little Cosette and Gavroche), and I feel really optimistic about this production because of the level of talent I saw at the audition. I look forward to seeing how it turns out! :mrgreen:

WhoIam

Re: Community and School Productions

Postby WhoIam » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:38 pm

My little sister is one of two Little Cosettes in my community theatre's production. :D
All the world's a party, and I'm usually the awkward wallflower in the corner with a glass of water and a copy of Les Mis.

Rachel

Postby Rachel » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:00 am

I'd love to be in one. A middle school near me did one and it was actually really good (for middle school).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uInouwdQ1Q

(Here's their OMO and part of their ODM [in rehearsals, obviously])

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC5mjT6HaSE

And here's their Castle on a Cloud.

Clearly, I have fantastic luck in the dating field.

Quotes to live by:
"This is highly illegal!" ~Inspector Javert (The Girl Nextdoor)

Enjolvert

Postby Enjolvert » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:29 pm

I was in a school one of Les Mis over a year ago and it was an absolutely brilliant experience. Loved every minute of it and being onstage in it was great.

Had quite a few students lines throughout while I was also in Thenardier's gang and was the farmer as well, also appearing in some chorus scenes too. We had a fairly small group of guys which was why we had to do so much each but it worked on perfectly in that we had guys who suited each of the 5 main roles very well respectively. The girl parts and Gavroche were double cast with everything else single cast. Excellent experience though and I recommend doing the show to anyone if they ever can. If anyone ever wants to know a bit more about my experience in Les Mis then feel free to ask.
The law is unjust.

mastromjm

Postby mastromjm » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:18 am

My first experience with Les Mis was a community production of the school edition which I took part in back in December. The show was *mostly* double-cast and the males who played a lead role were given a number of ensemble parts when they were not on. I was one of two cast as Javert, and when I was not playing him, I played Combeferre, Bamatabois, the Major Domo (Flunky is the name?), a convict, a beggar, and the "factory assistant" - I basically followed the foreman around during "At the End of the Day" and abused Fantine a little.
The cuts are disappointing, but thankfully, despite the fact that it is not allowed by the licensors, we re-added little parts of the music. "Stars" was back to its original length (much to my delight), the end of "The ABC Cafe" and a few other act 2 Amis bits, the middle of "Valjean's Soliloquy", and the prince/Jew lines in "Beggars at the Feast".
The cast was made up of local teenagers and I was among the oldest in the cast. The top-notch cast and crew handled the material and all of its complexities very well. We made the show as large as we could given the small space. Our tiny orchestra of seven packed a mighty punch - two keyboards, drums, clarinet/soprano sax, trumpet, trombone and horn, and managed to sound less anemic than the new orchestration. What I would give to do it again!

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:17 am

Hehe, I'm so glad you added Stars back. That's the one cut in the Schools Ed that I genuinely can't understand. It doesn't make proper sense without the first verse!
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Enjolvert

Postby Enjolvert » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:24 pm

Acaila wrote:Hehe, I'm so glad you added Stars back. That's the one cut in the Schools Ed that I genuinely can't understand. It doesn't make proper sense without the first verse!

That's one thing that's always annoyed me personally. It's not awful without the first verse, but the problem is that it just becomes far too short and I don't think it even reaches 2 minutes. The two verses give a proper buildup before the powerful finish and without one it's not quite the same.

Surprisingly though, most of the other cuts in it don't have too much of an effect and you can live with them. The Confrontation largely being chopped down is another annoying one but apart from that and Stars the rest didn't bother me too much.
The law is unjust.

Flynn

Postby Flynn » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:49 am

That's my biggest problem with a lot of cuts, be it for school productions, films, or producers who don't want to spend money for overtime- they tend to only think about how the lyrics and content is affected by the cuts and not how the music is. Songs are often structured in very precise and deliberate ways and affecting that can sometimes really screw with how effective it can be.

torontocolm

Postby torontocolm » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:08 pm

I had to beg and petition and threaten my director to put the full Confrontation in our high school version. I played Javert and couldn't let that song go. I love it too much. Our version was lots of fun and well-acclaimed, although our school was caught in some trouble for letting me jump from a balcony in Javert's Suicide rather than some whirlpool illusion. It was worth it. :)

Any production you can get in to, whether as a main cast member, chorus singer, or even set design is guaranteed to be fun.

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:43 am

My local newspaper had an article on LM this morning -- apparently, there's a community theatre on Maui that's doing the show (opening this Friday) in addition to the aforementioned one I auditioned for (opening September 20th). I haven't been keeping up with casting info for our production partly because I wanted to be surprised... but according to the article, Kip Wilborn (a fantastic former Raoul and understudy Phantom in Toronto's production of POTO, who has been working with Hawaii Opera Theater for the past few years) will be our Valjean. Cliffton Hall, former Marius on Broadway and the US Tour, is reprising his role here. And here's a clip of the man who will be playing Javert, singing "Some Enchanted Evening" at a charity event.

I cannot. I seriously cannot... I've been squeeing all day. :mrgreen:

singingstar1216

Postby singingstar1216 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:53 pm

Has anyone here directed Les Mis? I plan to direct it, but I need details. I'm starting from scratch. How much does everything cost? Especially the rights to put on a certain number of performances. How did you raise the money? How did you create the set, especially the weird props like the barricade, the cart, the gate...I mean, they have to be sturdy so the people can climb them or go under them. How did you get the costumes? I know there are TONS of props. And set pieces are HUGE. And costumes are iconic, so the audience has particular costume expectations. Just anything important I'll need to know to put on this production will be great. If there's anything that helped you save up or get donations or anything, could you let me know?

I'll also post this elsewhere in case not everyone has seen it here.
Love is beautiful, but beauty is not love.

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:36 pm

This is a tiny bit OT, but I was wondering if anyone here has the libretto for the School Edition. If so, could you please PM me? I'm working on a project and would be interested in looking it over. :mrgreen:

Return to “Les Misérables”