1985 Barbican Preview Lyrics

Any discussion related to any production or staging of Boublil and Schönberg's Les Misérables.
YoungStudentMarius

Re: 1985 Barbican Preview Lyrics

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:07 pm

It's ridiculously impressive, this project; thank you, thank you, thank you. :mrgreen: :shock:

Gavroche's death is just excruciating, in a bad way, but I actually like little change of "on the take" better than "on the make" for his Look Down solo. Can't say I'm mourning the Little People cuts and Grantaire's verse about him needing to go to bed, though.

And I think I kind of like the "peculiar gent" one, actually. :lol:

The lyrics for Valjean Confession are really interesting, and I'm actually not sure whether I like them better or not. It seemed so rushed as it is, but I'm not quite sure those would be the ones to fill it, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, thank you, very, very much for this. It's amazing, and very, very interesting.
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:10 pm

humanracer wrote:Thanks for this. I asked about something like when I first joined and although there are lots of great links out there, this is the first time someone has sat down and put all the lyrics to the first preview on the one page and in order. This can be used to recreate the libretto of the first show. Of course if I ever create something like this for my personal use you will get full credit. I have three 1985 shows but I think two of them are the same one with one being more cut than the other. I think the one marked "preview" or "unknown preview" is the second night. I think that one has most of Confrontation cut if I remember right. The first night I think is the one I have which is marked as "soundboard" though this i not true as it is just a good audience recording to me. I think the fact is mp3 does not help much. As a tiny bit of an "audiophile" I can tell you the master tape or a lossless low gen copy will sound 100 times better than the current version. It will take time to find it though as the trading community is full of poor bitrate mp3 copies.

I also have a 1986 recording which has about half the changes put here plus some new bits unique to that show (a bit after Waltz). So we have at least three different librettos before the 1987 "standard version".

Ha, well, putting together a full libretto is kind of easy after this point. Take the libretto and substitute these chunks. Done and done. I would have done it that way, but it would have taken up pages and pages on Abaisse and I didn't think anyone needed to see it in that form anyway.

Acaila's right, there are two 1985 Barbican recordings and a 1986 from the Palace, none of them are actual soundboards and original masters always sound better because of generation loss. Probably not 100 times better though, since it was 1985 and recorded to tape anyway. Even a higher quality recording will still mean it's difficult to make some things out, I ended up using Pro Tools to get in there to figure out some of these lyrics. Audience noise will be present on any recordings regardless of quality. Glad you enjoyed, though.

And thanks, Marius.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:23 pm

Also, there's never going to be any chance in hell of getting hold of the master anyway, not after nearly 30 years!

Marius - Until I was corrected otherwise by the author of this fine thread, I always thought that extra verse about him going to bed was sung by Enjolras :oops: I hadn't really picked up on the drinking references!
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:27 pm

I maintain that despite some minor exceptions where Enjolras is concerned, the focus has always been intended towards the friendship between Grantaire and Gavroche. :P
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:28 pm

Teaches my to get my facts right before using obscure lyrics as examples for my case to the contrary :oops:
Abaisse Chief/Chef

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:39 pm

I haven't done this yet, so:

Things I Liked From This That I Sort of Wish Were Still in the Show

I like the extra bit in Look Down, it goes well with the "I know she'll wait" part. I'm not sure if it's the same convict (when I typed it all up, I put "CONVICT" as an "A CONVICT" and not a specific one) but the two lines explain each other. Anyway, I can see where an extra little bit isn't necessary.

"I'd like to help you, really" over "I'd like to help a stranger," I like the idea here that it's more personal because Valjean is standing right in front of her over the general idea of "oh, I like helping scruffy highwaymen all the time!" but the words do seem to be too modern sounding.

"It's the same pathetic story, please monsieur, my child will die!" Love this, but hate the previous "gentle Jesus" line, mostly because of Patti Lupone, though. Difficult to say if I'd like it hearing a better, less over-the-top Fantine do it.

In the Runaway Cart bits, I love that Valjean is directly addressing the fact that no one will help him. Because seriously, in the musical I never really got the sense that that cart was actually going to kill someone who tried to help, except maybe for overexerting themselves by doing it alone.

I love this Well Scene. Valjean comes off creepy, of course, but when doesn't he at this part? What I like best is Cosette's "give me your hand and walk with me." It's almost like she's taking charge of the situation here and kind of sets her up to be that kind of a person later on, taking care of her father. I liked that.

Love the Hero of Waterloo bit in The Robbery and I wish Gavroche's addendum would have stayed there afterwards and if we still needed to move Stars around, Stars could have gone after Gavroche's bit.

Montparnasse's added lines in Attack on the Rue Plumet really helps to sell the context of the scene, love them, except of course now Montparnasse has like no lines anyway.

I like Grantaire's "better far to die a schoolboy than a policeman and a spy!" because I love what it's saying except that I don't love it being said by Grantaire.

I also like him putting Gavroche to bed, I think that bit is sweet, but agree that it has no place in the musical, is a little out of character and is very poorly situated right before Little People.

And lastly I love this version of Valjean's Confession! Because Marius is saying exactly what the audience is thinking: WHY ARE YOU TELLING ME THIS?

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:57 pm

Agree so much with moving Gavroche's addendum. I hate it so much at the moment, but a lot of that hate probably stems from the fact that Stars is my favourite bit of the show.
That and I hate people laughing and clapping at it because it's Not Funny!

Agree on Runaway Cart, Waterloo, Javert's line and Valjean's confession, less convinced with the rest.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Flynn

Postby Flynn » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:01 pm

My favorite of the bits are definitely the extended lyrics in "Fantine's Arrest", the original well scene, Gavroche's bit after Javert is caught, and the original "Valjean's Confession" (probably in no small part because most of those are from the French version).

I also adore the cut music segments in the Entr'acte and the sewer chase, though the revised bits probably work better for the show.

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:58 am

I have to agree with you on the music, though I am glad they dropped out the sewer chase music for what we have now, there's just something oddly upbeat and happy about the original stuff that doesn't quite work for me. As for Gavroche after Javert is caught: the music, I like. But the lyrics needed some work.

Rachel

Postby Rachel » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:12 am

Are Gavroche's lyrics to the tune of Little People? Or something else entirely?

Clearly, I have fantastic luck in the dating field.

Quotes to live by:
"This is highly illegal!" ~Inspector Javert (The Girl Nextdoor)

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:59 am

Rachel wrote:Are Gavroche's lyrics to the tune of Little People? Or something else entirely?

At Javert's Arrest, they're set to a completely new tune that's not at all in the show as it is currently. Little People remains Little People as it's heard on the OLC and for Gavroche's Death, the lyrics all follow the tune of his "how do you do, my name's Gavroche?" bit from Look Down, but at a reduced tempo. At "that's three, that's three" we're at "look down, look down" and then the song changes to Little People for those last couple of recognizable lines, starting with "so never kick a dog..."

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:14 pm

Rachel wrote:Are Gavroche's lyrics to the tune of Little People? Or something else entirely?

Listen for yourself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us_YP4IagOE

The whole rest of the preview extra stuff as discussed here can be found there too.
Resident Les Miz prop expert and collector
Non licet omnibus adire Corinthum
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

Rachel

Postby Rachel » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:52 pm

No, I meant when he reveals Javert as a spy.

Quotes to live by:

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:17 pm

As I said, for Javert's Arrest the music is completely different and not used elsewhere in the show. Going off of that youtube playlist that Auf linked: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jxa3TJ9h ... 907A8FFC3F

Rachel

Postby Rachel » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:41 pm

During the Attack on Rue Plumet, this is my best guess:

ÉPONINE:

I have a wolf for my* parent,
And he doesn't scare me!

THÉNARDIER:
Listen to me,
[What do we do with the slut?] [There will be two this time?]**
There will be something for all,
It will be brilliantly won,
You will have your share!

ÉPONINE:
I told you I'd do it, I told you I'd do it...

And then it all goes normally.

*Not sure about the beginning of the line, but I'm pretty sure parent is the last part
**I have pretty much no idea, because anything I hear isn't a logical progression of words.

When Gavroche calls out Javert, I think it's "a charlie for a copper to pay some cop"

JAVERT'S SUICIDE

JAVERT:

Damned if I live in the stink* of his grace
Damned if I live in the debt of Valjean
I’ll spit his pity right back in his face!
[...]**
There is nothing on earth that we share!
It is either Valjean or Javert!

*not sure, sounds weird, but it's what I heard
**Absolutely no idea

WEDDING CHORALE:

THÉNARDIER:

He was there, her old dad,
Rolling over and fleecing his [clad?]*
Rob the dead,
That's his way,

MADAME THÉNARDIER:

[...] the five hundred you paid!**

*Evidently, whatever is here is supposed to be the rhyme for dad, clad makes almost no sense, but it's what I keep hearing.

**Not sure of the beginning, but the gist of it is that it was worth Marius' money, I think. She definitely says five hundred and pay, so...

Quotes to live by:

Return to “Les Misérables”