1985 Barbican Preview Lyrics

Any discussion related to any production or staging of Boublil and Schönberg's Les Misérables.
deHavilland

Re: 1985 Barbican Preview Lyrics

Postby deHavilland » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:28 pm

Thanks for giving it a go, Rachel! I don't know that I'm really hearing that first Éponine line as "I have a wolf for my parent," so much as it seems like it would make sense. Good hear on the "brilliantly won" bit, though another listen with those lyrics gives me "it could be brilliantly won."

**I have pretty much no idea, because anything I hear isn't a logical progression of words.

Haha, you should give the Final Battle a go! ;D
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Rachel

Postby Rachel » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:38 pm

deHavilland wrote:Thanks for giving it a go, Rachel! I don't know that I'm really hearing that first Éponine line as "I have a wolf for my parent," so much as it seems like it would make sense. Good hear on the "brilliantly won" bit, though another listen with those lyrics gives me "it could be brilliantly won."

**I have pretty much no idea, because anything I hear isn't a logical progression of words.

I'm not sure if wolf for parent is what I want to hear, though, or what I'm actually hearing.

Clearly, I have fantastic luck in the dating field.

Quotes to live by:
"This is highly illegal!" ~Inspector Javert (The Girl Nextdoor)

Flynn

Postby Flynn » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:01 pm

deHavilland wrote:for Gavroche's Death, the lyrics all follow the tune of his "how do you do, my name's Gavroche?" bit from Look Down, but at a reduced tempo. At "that's three, that's three" we're at "look down, look down" and then the song changes to Little People for those last couple of recognizable lines, starting with "so never kick a dog..."

Which is of course, exactly how the song was in the original French version of the show.

(I'll always find it rather interesting how much Gravroche's part got shrunk down over the years until it was basically just "Little People" and his "Look Down" parts)

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:18 pm

Rachel wrote:
deHavilland wrote:Thanks for giving it a go, Rachel! I don't know that I'm really hearing that first Éponine line as "I have a wolf for my parent," so much as it seems like it would make sense. Good hear on the "brilliantly won" bit, though another listen with those lyrics gives me "it could be brilliantly won."

I'm not sure if wolf for parent is what I want to hear, though, or what I'm actually hearing.

Still, that's some awesome work! :D You totally should try Final Battle. I guess if anyone can make sense of it you're looking like the best candidate ;).
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

humanracer

Postby humanracer » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:33 pm

I am on holiday in Finland so cannot listen at the moment but doesn't Éponine mentions something in the book about a wolf being her parent?

The Javert arrest music is really sinister. I can see why it was taken out. It was one part of the show that caught me by surprise, along with the "trust Gavroche" bit after Stars (which is still there).

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:38 pm

Yeah. Someone--Thernardier I think, but it was during that robbery--calls her a bitch, and she responds with "How can I be the daughter of a dog, when I'm the daughter of a wolf?" And thanks for that, Rachel!

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

Rachel

Postby Rachel » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:40 pm

Yeah, and it would make me really happy if they referenced that, since it's one of my favourite lines in my favourite scene. So, I'm not sure if that's really what I'm hearing or just what I want to hear.

Quotes to live by:

Dr Craven

Postby Dr Craven » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:22 pm

I've lurked here for a while, but only decided to register today, since this is a subject that I'm really interested in, and I thought I'd chip in.

Like others have said, I'm fond of Javert's 'it's the same pathetic story' bit. I don't care much for Valjean's Confession in its original form, but it is somewhat more believable. I guess the lyrics just don't sit well for me, 'will the universe fall' seems especially clunky.

'Let me go in his place, he's no more than a boy' fits a lot better than what they changed it to, I don't see the logic in cutting two words out so that it no longer has the right amount of syllables. I guess it's a bit of a mouthful that way, but I like it.

What were they thinking with the chord progression for Feuilly(?)'s bit in Look Down? The chords as they appear on the OLC recording are the same as the standard version, I don't understand why they did it differently in the full version of the song for the original run, it sounds horrific.

Javert's suicide here is one I find really interesting. I especially like Colm's delivery of 'it's you, Javert' - I presume the way he started singing it before the orchestra came in was an error in his timing, but I actually think it sounds great. Much better than what we have nowadays, where the actors can hardly enunciate the words properly because they're forced to sing it so fast, let alone have any kind of interesting emphasis or character in what they're saying. I don't care much for 'go, quickly, I'll be waiting at the door', though. What door? The entrance to the sewer? Doesn't make sense to me.

The first 'damned if I'll...' doesn't sound much like the proposed 'stink of his grace' in my opinion, the phrasing doesn't line up at all. I'm struggling to make out the next part, but it sounds to me like:

'I'll spit his pity right back in his face,
That is the law [something, maybe 'all of' or 'all the'] sanity gone (?)'

Listening to it again and again isn't making the middle of that line any clearer, this is driving me mad...

Anyone had any luck with The Final Battle? The lines are so rapidfire and off the expected rhythm that it's almost impossible to make anything of them. And they're basically inaudible...

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:31 pm

Hey Dr Craven, welcome to the forum! Go post a thread in the Introductions forum so we can all welcome you properly to Abaisse :D

I have to agree on the timing of Valjean and Javert in the sewers nowadays. I spent years singing completely made up lyrics at that point :oops:
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:40 pm

Welcome, Dr. Craven! Happy to have you! :D (And glad this prompted you to join for reals!)

I agree with you on the clunkiness of some of the lyric in Valjean's Confession, especially that universe one, it smells like desperate find something that rhymes, oh that doesn't quite make sense? oh well lyric writing. But the sentiment that the overall verses express I think are better than what we ended up with.

No one's mentioned it since I posted it, so I'm glad you agree with me about the music backing Feuilly's solo in Look Down. When I first wrote out the post I asked myself if I was maybe being too subjective as far as saying that that bit's awful, but seriously that bit's awful and I'm glad you agree!

The Final Battle... my goodness. On either recording it's impossible to make out. There's just so much shouting, it's almost enjoyable to think about it that way: "everything's falling apart and now they're yelling at each other incoherently in fear," which would work if the characters were, y'know, not these ones.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Rachel

Postby Rachel » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:27 pm

Hello, Dr!

Yeah, I'm honestly not sure of anything I posted. I could be wrong on all accounts.

Quotes to live by:

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:30 pm

Which is why anything we're uncertain of goes in the brackets, so that people down the road can give it a shot themselves. ;)

mastromjm

Postby mastromjm » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:52 am

Wow! Just wanted to say that I am extremely impressed by the work done here. I hope to be able to contribute a bit...
I believe I have figured out the problem with Feuilly's bit from The Beggars. It seems as though the orchestra is playing a little introduction into his segment which was presumably later cut, but Feuilly jumps straight into the lines as they are currently performed (and as they are on the London cast album, of course.) The chords that are played by the orchestra starting around "won't last the week out" are actually the chords from "Lamarque is ill and fading fast", and they are out of sync for quite a while. Long explanation short, Feuilly jumped his cue, which may have led to the cut of that pointless introduction.

Also on the music side of things, the orchestra reaaaally screws up the intro to "At the End of the Day", which uses a different synth strings patch throughout the song. It's cool, but it's very loud!

Rachel

Postby Rachel » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:58 am

Work? Pfft, I just made stuff up.

I will give Final Battle a shot, but not today.

Quotes to live by:

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:28 am

Rachel wrote:Work? Pfft, I just made stuff up.

Well, you know, some of us spent several hours listening to four different recordings to find and write out the differences. ;)

I'm glad you like it, mastromjm! Would you say then that the whole mess is just a result of a missed cue? That's actually really interesting, and I hadn't considered it. (Though given the other flubs throughout, might have been a good idea!) Thanks for pinpointing that as a possibility!

Return to “Les Misérables”