Lines you judge performers on

Any discussion related to any production or staging of Boublil and Schönberg's Les Misérables.
deHavilland

Re: Lines you judge performers on

Postby deHavilland » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:41 pm

I'm trying to recall someone's whose really bothered me. I was recently listening to Alex Summer, who was an understudy in London for a while and whose Fantine, I think, was awesome. In my opinion, she trumps a lot of principles for the role, and she started off with a really bad husk of a whore voice and then it completely fell apart as she started to get nervous and it sounded really great.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:35 pm

When abouts was she in the show? Don't recognise the name.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:36 pm

Factory Girl (Ensemble)/Madeleine (Ensemble)/Whore (Ensemble)/Fantine (1st cover) in Les Misérables (Palace Theatre) Unknown date 1995/1996 - Unknown date 1996

Bardsley's on for Enjolras at the same time, but with Peter Karrie Valjean. (Blegh.)
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:40 pm

Ah, too early for me to really know her. Thanks for that, I'll maybe take a look :)
Abaisse Chief/Chef

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:47 pm

Well, listening to it (07.13.1996), I was like, ugh Karrie's Valjean makes me want to vomit, and then Alex Summer happened and she's very soft and a little timid and young-sounding in a good way and I really liked it. Also when Javert goes to arrest her she started shrieking "COSSSSSSSSSETTTTTTTTTTTEEEEEEEEE" and I was like, yes, I do believe you have a daughter and you know what you're talking about. Good job!

Postby 23623 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:13 pm

Em...I want to revive this topic...yes, after 2 years :oops: It's also something I've been curious about since a friend told me that she judges a Fantine on the line "But there are dreams that cannot be".

So here are some parts I consider as important assessment criteria :D

Prologue: "I know she'll wait, I know that she'll be true". I'll give the performer an A+ if he really sounds like an Edmond Dantes thinking about Mercedes!
Valjean: "On this page, I write my last confession. Read it well, when I at last am sleeping. It's a story of those who always loved you. Your mother gave her life for you then gave you to my keeping." I want him to sound weary but caring, relieved and content; the contrast should be explicit. If done incredibly well these lines can make me cry.
Fantine: "For God's sake, please stay till I am sleeping. And tell Cosette I love her and I'll see her when I wake." I really want a miserable Fantine, but somehow I can't find a Fantine who sounds genuinely miserable in IDAD; most of Fantines I've listened to appear to be more angry than miserable in that song. Thus I value her last words even more than IDAD. She has the opportunity to be as miserable as she can. So if the actress still fails to be miserable, I won't like her.
Enjolras: "They will come when we call" and "until the Earth is free". Don't crack and don't lower the key (I'm looking at you Warlow. This is the only thing that he, as my favorite actor so far, disappoints me)

Well...it seems that I love judging people on their dying moments :roll:
Revolution, but civilization

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:59 pm

But there are dreams that cannot be is actually quite a good line. That whole little bit, from "And still I dream" actually. Because so many Fantines play it as longing after a jerkass ex, but I love it when performers play it as bitter.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Postby 23623 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:21 am

My friend and I once listened to several versions of IDAD and tried to find a good Fantine according to her criteria but failed. She just didn't like any of them. Later she told me she found a version that she considered good, albeit sung by a male :shock: Probably a cover I guess, though she never sent me the link. She has a strange theory about the "but there are dreams that cannot be" line, namely male performers can convey the feelings better than female. Though I couldn't understand, and let alone agree with her theory, I then found a clip of Steve Barton singing IDAD. But he didn't impress me as much as I had expected (because I'm a fan of him :D ), generally or with respect to that line in particular.

Also I remember seeing some scary Fantines in bootlegs. I believe Lea is one of them. She performs that "dreams cannot be" part of IDAD as if she were going to lead a revolution against each and every unfaithful man in the world :lol:

So by now I've already given up looking for good IDAD and try to focus on Fantine's death.
Revolution, but civilization

Chantefleurie

Postby Chantefleurie » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:43 pm

Enjolras: "One more day before the storm" (One Day More). I've given up on finding actors who can portray all his charisma, or even look the part. But you can at least sing this line like you have an iron determination and inner strength.

Gavroche: death scene. I think he's the only one whose line that I judge him on is his death scene song.

Jean Valjean: "If I die - let me die" (Bring Him Home). As long as it sounds sincere within the context - if it can sound like a desperate prayer, not a music recital. So far the winner is not a professional actor/singer at all, but one of my former classmates who sang this song in one of the school concerts.
C'est tellement mystérieux, le pays des larmes. ~Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:48 pm

_23623_ wrote:Also I remember seeing some scary Fantines in bootlegs. I believe Lea is one of them. She performs that "dreams cannot be" part of IDAD as if she were going to lead a revolution against each and every unfaithful man in the world :lol:

I'm increasingly in favour of this approach. Tholomyes is such a dick, I prefer my Fantine's to be bitter about that rather than desperately wanting him back. For example, I like "And still I dream he'll come to me" to be self-loathing, not longing.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Return to “Les Misérables”