Unpopular Opinions

Any discussion related to any production or staging of Boublil and Schönberg's Les Misérables.
Acaila

Re: Unpopular Opinions

Postby Acaila » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:19 pm

I do think I agree with you on Stars. I understand people who love the musical transition from Waltz of Treachery into Look Down, but the original placement seems to click better for Javert's character. As it is now, why is he promising to never rest 9 years later when the trail has actually picked up again? It doesn't make so much sense.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

The Bricklayer

Postby The Bricklayer » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:27 am

Acaila wrote:Speaking of the original French version, I was reading the other day that that version started with a narrated quote of Hugo's "So long as there exist......books like this cannot be useless" quote. Thought that was quite nice :)
It did. I have the soundboard if anyone wants it.
Tomorrow will come no matter what, but it is up to you to make it better than today.

Proud Member of the Resident Combeferre Club.

Lamarque-is-Dead

Postby Lamarque-is-Dead » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:52 am

Prisoner 24603 wrote:- I liked some aspects of the OFC and respect it for being the original version, but I'm not that thrilled with most of the cast, and a lot of the orchestral arrangements bug me. Also, I don't think it works as a musical quite as well as the version we have today.

This is pretty much exactly how I feel about the OFC. I love parts of it ("Donnez, donnez"!), but overall, I prefer the finished product.
Mistress of Dubious Compliments (thanks, Acaila!)
Valjean is my homeboy :D

Flynn

Postby Flynn » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:08 am

The Bricklayer wrote:
Acaila wrote:Speaking of the original French version, I was reading the other day that that version started with a narrated quote of Hugo's "So long as there exist......books like this cannot be useless" quote. Thought that was quite nice :)
It did. I have the soundboard if anyone wants it.

I would absolutely love to get ahold of that if possible.

As to "Stars", I can go either way as to its placement in the show, but I much prefer the original cut of it either way (I think having the song focus on the stars more than it does Valjean's capture does more to interiorize him as a character).

Majestic_Picnob

Postby Majestic_Picnob » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:29 pm

Not sure how unpopular this is, but I like Mme. T better in the musical than the book. In the book she's basically a satellite character who could actually be removed without affecting the plot all that much. In the musical she's her own (hilarious) person.
"Oh my God! I'll never have time to strike a pose!"

Enjolvert

Postby Enjolvert » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:39 pm

Majestic_Picnob wrote:Not sure how unpopular this is, but I like Mme. T better in the musical than the book. In the book she's basically a satellite character who could actually be removed without affecting the plot all that much. In the musical she's her own (hilarious) person.

There's something I find interesting about her in the book. While she's vile like her husband, her care for her daughters is interesting. It almost makes her better than Thenardier; unlike him there's something she cares for and a hint of decency, even if she shows it to others in a horrible way, like treating Cosette as inferior to them. Then there's the fact that she's more villainous than general in the show.

But I do think her comic side is maybe more enjoyable in the show, and her fate arguably works better. For someone who features a lot earlier on, she just disappeared with such a little mentioned death, which kind of echoes your point that she's fairly unnecessary to the plot actually.
The law is unjust.

Rachel

Postby Rachel » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:38 pm

I think the movie's placement of Stars probably makes more sense, but I'm too in love with Gavroche's little solo afterwards, and since it wouldn't make sense for him to be in Paris nine years earlier, it would have to be cut. And that would make me sad D:

I didn't hate Nick Jonas in the 25AC. He was definitely weaker than everyone else, but he was by no means bad, despite the fact he looked rather uncomfortable.

Also, in terms of Éponine I quite like Frances Ruffelle who's voice, though definitely not vocally as good as Lea Salonga or Sam Barks just sounds more Éponine from the book to me. I've heard Sutton Foster is rather brickish too, so I'll have to give her a listen.

I don't like Bring Him Home. It's rather boring, in my honest opinion, not to mention just out of character in places. The ever so guarded Valjean saying "he's like the son I might have known". Well then.

Clearly, I have fantastic luck in the dating field.

Quotes to live by:
"This is highly illegal!" ~Inspector Javert (The Girl Nextdoor)

macaron

Postby macaron » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:31 pm

Enjolvert wrote:There's something I find interesting about her in the book. While she's vile like her husband, her care for her daughters is interesting. It almost makes her better than Thenardier; unlike him there's something she cares for and a hint of decency, even if she shows it to others in a horrible way, like treating Cosette as inferior to them. Then there's the fact that she's more villainous than general in the show.

They've toned down her affection for her daughters a bit in the show compared to the book, interestingly - her line about Éponine in Look Down ("She never had a scrap of brain!") doesn't exactly point to a lot of motherly affection. *g*

Here's an unpopular opinion for you: I love Tracy Shayne's Cosette on the CSR! :D

Enjolvert

Postby Enjolvert » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:03 pm

True, and the only time we ever really get the chance to see any of that motherly affection is after COAC when she calls in Little Éponine and acts all precious with her, but there's not that same sense of deep rooted affection we see she has for Éponine and Azelma early on in the novel.
The law is unjust.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:31 pm

And even then, I feel like she's more one of those hideously annoying mothers who thinks that their little darling can do no wrong and is better than any other child. So more aggressive unfounded pride than motherly affection.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:39 pm

Acaila wrote:And even then, I feel like she's more one of those hideously annoying mothers who thinks that their little darling can do no wrong and is better than any other child. So more aggressive unfounded pride than motherly affection.

I sort of get that from her in the brick too, actually. Although I guess you could argue that by Look Down, she just doesn't *feel* for Éponine as much anymore because the daughter she had so much blind hope for is now nothing, but even in the brick there's more affection than that, and they've been through more too. (And that wouldn't be much of an excuse anyway, but could happen.)

Though, in the Gorbeau sequence, I did get the idea that she was more outwardly fond of Azelma than Éponine if only because Azelma was still "her baby."

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

freedomlover
Location: The Barricade of Freedom!!! (or southern-central Virginia)

Postby freedomlover » Thu May 23, 2013 11:06 pm

Enjolras can be really annoying sometimes, than again- I think the things that bug me about Enjolras are the things that I don't like in myself ;)
ImageTime Machine Theory:According to some people, Hugo had a time machine and based Enjolras on this user but made a male version of this user.

The Bricklayer

Postby The Bricklayer » Fri May 24, 2013 4:47 am

freedomlover wrote:Enjolras can be really annoying sometimes, than again- I think the things that bug me about Enjolras are the things that I don't like in myself ;)

I can understand that. The thing that really gets me though is when I wouldn't follow an Enjolras to my death. It's one of those things that I look for in the actor's portrayal.
Tomorrow will come no matter what, but it is up to you to make it better than today.

Proud Member of the Resident Combeferre Club.

freedomlover
Location: The Barricade of Freedom!!! (or southern-central Virginia)

Postby freedomlover » Fri May 24, 2013 4:53 am

Ahhh, good- I was hoping I did not sound too weird ;) I love Enjolras but sometimes he can just be "Enjolras????"
ImageTime Machine Theory:According to some people, Hugo had a time machine and based Enjolras on this user but made a male version of this user.

Postby 23623 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:28 pm

Not sure if this counts as "unpopular opinion"...just a thought I want to share after posting here viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2048 but I don't know where I should put it.

I feel that as the most famous Fantine song, IDAD shouldn't serve only to demonstrate how terribly her life sucks. Cosette is the center of every other Fantine song but she isn't even mentioned in IDAD. I think IDAD is good already, the melody, lyrics and all, but it would be even better if something about Cosette was included. Some might think there's no point stating the obvious or making Fantine Éponine no.2 (whose obsession is Cosette instead of Marius), but for me it works perfectly well. I can never have enough of the mother-daughter love!

On-topic, some opinions I guess are truly unpopular. These are what I can think of at the moment. I might in fact have more. Um..please don't judge me!

1. I don't like Colm or JOJ as JVJ that much. I do think they are good, but good in a conventional and unimpressive way. I feel that their Valjean is basically a Bishop with more stage time. Indeed Valjean shares some similarities with the Bishop but he's not the Bishop. He has been the governor of the town, he can fight at the barricade, and he can be as badass as Javert (taking Cosette away from Thenardier is my favorite badass Valjean moment though I do like his confrontations with our dear Inspector). He doesn't have to be the nice old grandpa all the time. Besides, Colm's voice makes me roll my eyes and JOJ's face always makes me laugh for no reason, especially in BHH.

2. About CSR:
I don't hate that JVJ. I acutally like him a lot at some points (e.g. finale!)
I don't hate that Cosette either. She is barely acceptable, but honestly she's far from the worst I've listened to.
It seems that many people here like the Gavroche but I can't stand that boy. He's extremely annoying (and so are his parents!) I guess it was him who started my dislike of English Gavroches in general...
CSR Eppie is one of my two favorites (the other one being the OFC girl). I don't have any complaint about her accent.

3. I really don't care much about what's going on at the barricade. Having spent 3 years in this fandom, I still can't tell who's who in musical Amis. For me they're just unimportant ensemble roles and I don't think directors will put effort in finding perfect match for their book counterparts. I don't fangirl Les Amis in the book either. Courfeyrac is adorable, R is an interesting character, but I'm not crazy about the rest of them (including Enjolras, I prefer musical-Enjy to book-Enjy) like many other fans do.
Revolution, but civilization

Return to “Les Misérables”