Unpopular Opinions

Any discussion related to any production or staging of Boublil and Schönberg's Les Misérables.
TheRandomPhangirl

Re: Unpopular Opinions

Postby TheRandomPhangirl » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:42 am

I used to think I had a soft spot for Melissa because of her being the first Éponine I saw, but listening back now, three years later, I still love her performance.
Though I would sell my arm and leg to see les mis toronto again.
I'm the one to shout "Down with Polignac!"

Olivia_y

Postby Olivia_y » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:09 pm

I wish they'd change the bit after ALFoR that made Éponine some sort of symbol for the revolution. I get she's a popular character so they want to give her a send off, but isn't there another way to do it? She didn't even save Marius' life in the London production, so it makes even less sense. I guess you could argue the other people at the barricades would've assumed she was one of them, but the whole thing rings so hollow.

Morbidmuch_

Postby Morbidmuch_ » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:23 pm

Olivia_y wrote:I wish they'd change the bit after ALFoR that made Éponine some sort of symbol for the revolution. I get she's a popular character so they want to give her a send off, but isn't there another way to do it? She didn't even save Marius' life in the London production, so it makes even less sense. I guess you could argue the other people at the barricades would've assumed she was one of them, but the whole thing rings so hollow.

I actually like it, because Éponine does stand for most of what they're trying to change. In her death she becomes a tangible symbol of the people they're trying to help. Or maybe I've read too much fan fiction and is putting way too much thought into this :lol:
Lamarque est mort [disco dances patriotically]

Olivia_y

Postby Olivia_y » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:19 am

Morbidmuch_ wrote:I actually like it, because Éponine does stand for most of what they're trying to change.

A lot of people do, hence why I posted it in this thread lol. I'd disagree with the second part, but that's my personal interpretation.

Morbidmuch_

Postby Morbidmuch_ » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:02 pm

So over the past few days I've been intensely re-listening to the OLC, and I've really, really, really tried to like it. But I just don't. And I know it's a bit of a holy grail within the community, which is why I gave it a few more shots. I don't totally hate everything; there are some stellar performances (Michael Ball, you beast of a man), some horrible performances (Patti LuPone, could you sound more bored? I think not) and I like the orchestrations. The biggest problem for me is the tempo. Everything just draaaaags on and is so slow I just get irritated. Especially listening to The Confrontation, which is one of my favourite songs. To me, the whole point of that song is the building suspense and frustration between the two characters, which is totally lost when the tempo is so slowed down. It becomes more of a casual conversation than a confrontation in my opinion.
Lamarque est mort [disco dances patriotically]

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:00 am

Some of the old orchestrations are fab, but some have been improved on. I think it's mostly the cast that get the love, though Patti is pretty darn wretched.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Olivia_y

Postby Olivia_y » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:12 am

I don't know how unpopular this opinion is (since it's relatively recent) but...I'm not that keen on Killian as JVJ... :? ...(at least not yet...)

Return to “Les Misérables”