Poll: Favourite English language recording?

Any discussion related to any production or staging of Boublil and Schönberg's Les Misérables.

Favourite English language recording?

Original London Cast
2
7%
Original Broadway Cast
0
No votes
Complete Symphonic Recording
8
30%
10th Anniversary
8
30%
25th Anniversary
3
11%
2012 Movie
1
4%
Other
5
19%
 
Total votes: 27

Enjolvert
Posts: 1453
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:40 pm
Location: With Valjean and Thenardier

Poll: Favourite English language recording?

Postby Enjolvert » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:40 pm

I know there are threads on this, but I wanted to make one with a proper poll just out of interest to see what the opinion is like, based on the English language. I've included the major ones that I know of since my knowledge of the cast recordings is fairly limited, so that's why I put an 'other' option. Apologies if your choice isn't there. Give reasons if you can too so there can be some discussion on it.
The law is unjust.

User avatar
Gervais
Posts: 5975
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:10 pm
Location: Smelling your soul within your handkerchief

Re: Poll: Favourite English language recording?

Postby Gervais » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:33 am

I was honestly torn between the 10AC and the 25AC. Overall, I do like 10 better, I guess, though I wish Colm wasn't sick and they wouldve found someone else as Cosette. Judy Kuhn never has really fit as Cosette for me even though I usually like her voice in other things, and yes, the Cosette really does effect my decision that much. If only because she's the only non-ensemble character I could theoretically play. But since everything else and everyone else doesn't set me off in the negative sense, 10AC it is.

For the record, the OLC was my re-introduction to Les Miz, and though I love it, the original lyrics in AHFOL and the almost mangled Epilogue are really off-putting, although Michael Ball and Rebecca Cain have goooorgeoooous voices. When I say "almost mangled," mangled isnt the right word, but is the only way I can think of to describe how quickly they run through "To Love another person..," and most of all the *almost* weak chorus with almost no blend, which was probably more of a recording issue rather than an actor issue. Also not a huge fan of Lupone as Fantine, but in the same way I'm not a fan of Kuhn's Cosette.

Also, I love the Symphonic's completeness, though Gary Morris is...interesting, and Tracy Shane's Cosette is a lot like Kuhn's to me.
Image

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

User avatar
YoungStudentMarius
Posts: 8158
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:43 am
Location: In the library

Re: Poll: Favourite English language recording?

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:44 am

Wait, can I make a clarification? On the poll, is it referring to the 25th anniversary concert, or the 25th anniversary album? Because, personally, I think that, as much a minority as this is, the 2010 cast album is my favorite. :oops: I didn't think so at first, but then I just kinda kept on going back and back to it...Though, the cuts were very saddening, and much of them unneeded. I'm rather indifferent about the concert, though, but that may be because I haven't seen it all the way through.

The CSR is probably my second favorite, due to completeness, yes, but I agree, Gervais; I was not a fan of Tracy Shayne. Nor Michael Ball, but he does have a fantastic voice, I give him that ungrudgingly. I really liked Katie Hall's Cosette, though, and while I actually preferred Kaho Shimadra more than Rosalind James, I still liked the overall feel of the 25 anniversary cd more than some of the others. There was a bit more...urgency to it, than some, I think, and I really loved how it was live, and so all the gunshots from the barricade, etc, were included. But it's such a matter of personal preference.
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

User avatar
Courgette
Posts: 360
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:47 am
Location: Fly on the wall

Re: Poll: Favourite English language recording?

Postby Courgette » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:50 am

I chose 'Other'. I'm a huge sucker for the Original French Concept Album - it screams out 'Les Misérables', and it feels so authentic.
Image
"Lord in Heaven, look down on him in mercy..."

User avatar
Marie32
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:17 pm
Location: Climbin' in yo window

Re: Poll: Favourite English language recording?

Postby Marie32 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:02 am

Gervais wrote:I was honestly torn between the 10AC and the 25AC. Overall, I do like 10 better, I guess, though I wish Colm wasn't sick and they wouldve found someone else as Cosette. [/size]


I thought it was Michael Maguire that was sick. Was Colm sick as well? And totally agree is Judy Kuhn, she is the only casting in the concert I didn't like. Much too old.

User avatar
YoungStudentMarius
Posts: 8158
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:43 am
Location: In the library

Re: Poll: Favourite English language recording?

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:04 am

Oh, I love the OFC album, too, Courgette. There really is something so telling and beautiful about it. But that's the thing, it's so hard to choose when you take all the recordings into consideration, especially with all the other languages, and the different versions of those...I think this thread was trying to narrow it down a bit, asking your favorite of the English recording, because it really is so hard to decide when there's so many different options. :lol:

Sorry, I for one don't know, Marie. But I agree that Judy Kuhn was too old. I kinda thought she was a bit old even on the London cast...
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

User avatar
Legeaux
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:58 am
Location: Fighting for the right to a night at the opera.

Re: Poll: Favourite English language recording?

Postby Legeaux » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:49 am

I haven't rushed out and bought the movie album, but I was in a store today where they were playing it. I honestly wasn't expecting too much from it, but the ten minutes or so I heard today sounded great.

(I'm hoping Mrs Legeaux has it it mind for me for St Valentine's day next week)

I don't think it's going to displace the OLC or the CSR for me, but I'll certainly be giving it a thorough listening...
++ Legeaux

User avatar
Gervais
Posts: 5975
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:10 pm
Location: Smelling your soul within your handkerchief

Re: Poll: Favourite English language recording?

Postby Gervais » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:44 pm

Marie32 wrote:
Gervais wrote:I was honestly torn between the 10AC and the 25AC. Overall, I do like 10 better, I guess, though I wish Colm wasn't sick and they wouldve found someone else as Cosette. [/size]


I thought it was Michael Maguire that was sick. Was Colm sick as well? And totally agree is Judy Kuhn, she is the only casting in the concert I didn't like. Much too old.


You're probably right, but Colm just sounded sick there, at least. Or just not as good as he did on other things from the same time, which could mean sickness or could just mean a bad day.

And yes, it's hard to pick, because every album is amazing, but with its own weak spots here and there.
Image

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

User avatar
Auf die Barrikaden
Posts: 733
Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 2:36 pm
Location: In the heart of the city we claim as our own!
Contact:

Re: Poll: Favourite English language recording?

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:22 pm

Courgette wrote:I chose 'Other'. I'm a huge sucker for the Original French Concept Album - it screams out 'Les Misérables', and it feels so authentic.


Other here refers to other English language versions, e.g. the Manchester highlights or that one with Claire Moore...

YoungStudentMarius wrote:Sorry, I for one don't know, Marie. But I agree that Judy Kuhn was too old. I kinda thought she was a bit old even on the London cast...


Broadway...

Well none of them has a feeling of all around perfect (as in every voice and role perfect) cast for me. TAC and OLC are close yet suffer other faults. I agree that Colm struggled a bit in the beginning, it's more obvious in the video. The CSR suffers from bad conducting, sound effects and questionable mixing-plus Tracy Shayne. However it sports some of my all time favourite actors and...it's complete and really lush at many points in the score. OBC and 25AT have serious casting issues and mediocre performances. The soundtrack is an own beast of its kind for me. My ranking therefore would be:
CSR
TAC
OLC
25AT
OBC
Out of league: Movie
Resident Les Miz prop expert and collector
Non licet omnibus adire Corinthum
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

User avatar
Rose1836
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:29 pm
Location: Castle of Romantic female vampire

Re: Poll: Favourite English language recording?

Postby Rose1836 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:27 pm

Disclaimer: Unpopular opinions! Freedom of speech in the name of... eer, Café Musain!
First, movie is my LEAST favorite recording. No... just no. Overrated as hell. I rather listen Nick Jonas (likable, earnest, but too nasal) Marius (holding invisible box?) than Hugh Jackman (very sympathetic Valjean, BTW) or have patience for Anne or Eddie Redmayne (again, too very earnest, well-intentioned performances) trying to sing without any help from MUSIC!
Favorite? Aaargh, I cannpt choose. Can I get a tie?
10th Anniversary (Michael Ball! Lea Salonga! And yes, I preferJudy Kuhn´s voice as Cosette!)/Anything with Thaxton as Enjolras (only as bootlegs, I know! Pouts)
Although I really like 25th Anniversary, too.

User avatar
Acaila
Posts: 9990
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:44 am
Location: Scotland

Re: Poll: Favourite English language recording?

Postby Acaila » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:40 pm

Oh this is horrible. None of them are perfect really....

TAC I think has the strongest cast, even though Colm's voice is a bit weaker, Kuhn and Maguire are pretty bad and the applause breaks are a bit annoying to my listening pleasure.

CSR probably gets the most playtime for me simply because it is complete. But Gary Morris especially ruins everything he's in.

The OLC is like an old favourite shirt that you bring out every now and then and it just feels so comfortable and you wonder why you don't wear it more <3 I love the arrangements (tempo issues as mentioned before aside, partic One Day More and the Finale), though I don't like Ruffelle or Lupone.

I generally don't like the 25th and I never ever listen to the OBC, because I find Colm its only redeeming feature.

The movie hasn't really had time to bed down in my head and make its mark yet. It does feel a bit unfair to compare it to the rest for that reason if nothing else. Also, the fact that it's so incomplete! Once the deluxe edition comes out I will maybe be able to place it better.

So, my thoughts are:
Best - TAC
Most listened to - CSR
Favourite - for the warm fuzzies it always gives me, OLC

The only true answer - my own mix tape version of the best versions of every song from each!
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

User avatar
Rose1836
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:29 pm
Location: Castle of Romantic female vampire

Re: Poll: Favourite English language recording?

Postby Rose1836 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:43 pm

Same here: My own mix recording is true answer! :lol:

User avatar
macaron
Posts: 586
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:36 pm

Re: Poll: Favourite English language recording?

Postby macaron » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:48 pm

Auf die Barrikaden wrote:Well none of them has a feeling of all around perfect (as in every voice and role perfect) cast for me. TAC and OLC are close yet suffer other faults. I agree that Colm struggled a bit in the beginning, it's more obvious in the video. The CSR suffers from bad conducting, sound effects and questionable mixing-plus Tracy Shayne. However it sports some of my all time favourite actors and...it's complete and really lush at many points in the score. OBC and 25AT have serious casting issues and mediocre performances. The soundtrack is an own beast of its kind for me. My ranking therefore would be:
CSR
TAC
OLC
25AT
OBC
Out of league: Movie

This is pretty much exactly my ranking, too, and for basically the same reasons - except my one real issue with the CSR isn't Tracy Shayne (I actually love her), but Debra Byrne. Like Acaila and Rose1836 say, my own mix recording is the answer! It's usually a combination of the CSR and the TAC, since I grew up with them and love them both.

I believe an official London cast recording from 2008/09 would've ranked very highly, though.

User avatar
Acaila
Posts: 9990
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:44 am
Location: Scotland

Re: Poll: Favourite English language recording?

Postby Acaila » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:10 pm

I made a new mix recording recently for my boyfriend. Darling boy earned my eternal love after being marched to the Queens to see it by saying "Yes, I really enjoyed it. Which CD version would you recommend for me?" <3. To which I answered "Let me take care of that for you!". IIRC, it had Colm, Quast, Ruthie, Ball, Barks (I cheated and used the dvd rip of the concert), Caine, Armstrong, Galloway, Warlow.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Enjolvert
Posts: 1453
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:40 pm
Location: With Valjean and Thenardier

Re: Poll: Favourite English language recording?

Postby Enjolvert » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:42 pm

YoungStudentMarius wrote:Wait, can I make a clarification? On the poll, is it referring to the 25th anniversary concert, or the 25th anniversary album? Because, personally, I think that, as much a minority as this is, the 2010 cast album is my favorite. :oops: I didn't think so at first, but then I just kinda kept on going back and back to it...Though, the cuts were very saddening, and much of them unneeded. I'm rather indifferent about the concert, though, but that may be because I haven't seen it all the way through.

The CSR is probably my second favorite, due to completeness, yes, but I agree, Gervais; I was not a fan of Tracy Shayne. Nor Michael Ball, but he does have a fantastic voice, I give him that ungrudgingly. I really liked Katie Hall's Cosette, though, and while I actually preferred Kaho Shimadra more than Rosalind James, I still liked the overall feel of the 25 anniversary cd more than some of the others. There was a bit more...urgency to it, than some, I think, and I really loved how it was live, and so all the gunshots from the barricade, etc, were included. But it's such a matter of personal preference.


I was referring to the 25th concert on this one. Apologies for not making it particularly clear.
The law is unjust.


Return to “Les Misérables”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron