Comedic anti-climatic moments

Any discussion related to any production or staging of Boublil and Schönberg's Les Misérables.
Enjolvert

Comedic anti-climatic moments

Postby Enjolvert » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:34 pm

Was joking around with some mates the other day and we came up with some ideas if Les Mis was a comedy spoof on how some moments could be incredibly anti-climatic and how to ruin the poignancy.

During ALFOR, acid rain starts to fall on Éponine.

When Valjean sings "If I die, let me die!", he is then hit by a bullet and killed.

When Thenardier takes Marius' ring in the sewers, Marius suddenly screams in his face; revealing he was awake all along. Thenardier dies in shock.

So...anymore?
The law is unjust.

enjolraslesunicorn

Re: Comedic anti-climatic moments

Postby enjolraslesunicorn » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:06 pm

What about if when Fauchelevent is saved from underneath the cart, he keels over dead?
It's the return of the horrendously drawn unicorn horn

Courgette

Postby Courgette » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:51 pm

In the movie, when Marius is singing and crying during 'Empty Chairs at Empty Tables', Aaronjolras suddenly emerges out of nowhere singing,"I'm Alive!"

Not my idea, though. Read about it on Youtube.
"Lord in Heaven, look down on him in mercy..."

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:00 pm

Read that too on Youtube. And nearly died laughing.

Anticlimatic moment: Javert being fished out of the Seine by Ctuhulu.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

inkrose115

Postby inkrose115 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:12 pm

Jean Valjean confesses to being the guilty one, to save Champmathieu. It is the wrong trial (possibly the previous trial, for the murder).

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:15 pm

inkrose115 wrote:Jean Valjean confesses to being the guilty one, to save Champmathieu. It is the wrong trial (possibly the previous trial, for the murder).

The unfortunate part was that it really almost did happen.

Going through all the trouble to get Cosette over the wall, etc....and instead of meeting Fauchelevent, they come across the prioress.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:26 pm

At the end, Valjean doesn't die....

:D
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:23 am

We were talking about this one earlier...Valjean makes the entire trek through the sewers with Marius on his back, delivers him home, and the boy has the nerve to catch tuberculosis and die anyway. :lol: Apparently, that's how I'd die...
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:44 am

Acaila wrote:At the end, Valjean doesn't die....

:D
...Or has a heart attack right before he reaches the high note at the end of Who Am I.

Or just says "2460-" and walks offstage.

Or opens his shirt for the "number reveal," and has on a Superman outfit under his clothes instead.

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:55 am

I smirked at Marius dying, and then outright LMAOed at the Superman idea! :D
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Courgette

Postby Courgette » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:08 pm

A few of the earlier stage versions actually had Éponine kissing Marius in her final moment before she died. So, in that moment, Marius realizes that Éponine is actually a homosexual guy, who has been masquerading as a girl all along, simply to get his attention. I'm not sure if that qualifies as comedic, but what a weird twist that would be!!
"Lord in Heaven, look down on him in mercy..."

Majestic_Picnob

Postby Majestic_Picnob » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:06 am

I just got back from a production being staged at my old high school, and it had some... interesting technical difficulties. Cosette nearly got the curtain dropped on her when she came in after ECAET (was the curtain operator a M/É shipper?), for one, and at the end of the sewer scene one of the guys playing a corpse exited by ROLLING offstage. He was probably trying to be inconspicuous. It backfired.
"Oh my God! I'll never have time to strike a pose!"

Inspector

Postby Inspector » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:53 am

Just as Javert is about to jump into the river, Aladdin flies by on the magic carpet with his loaf of bread and catches him before he hits the water, but Javert is so triggered by the loaf of bread that he jumps right back off. The end.

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:36 pm

Inspector wrote:Just as Javert is about to jump into the river, Aladdin flies by on the magic carpet with his loaf of bread and catches him before he hits the water, but Javert is so triggered by the loaf of bread that he jumps right back off. The end.

Um, that totally happened. :shock: Well, it didn't at all, but it did. Gerrrvaaaaaaaiiiiiiis!!! Not quite, you see, she was writing a story, and I thought it was serious, but then all of a sudden comes a magic carpet. Ach, I'm not explaining this well at all. See? Anyway, sorry, it was just funny that you should mention magic carpet. :oops:

Another anti-climactic moment-- the whole Orestes fasting Pylades drunk scene, and then they smile, and shoot, and then Grantaire says "You missed."
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:15 pm

Majestic_Picnob wrote:I just got back from a production being staged at my old high school, and it had some... interesting technical difficulties. Cosette nearly got the curtain dropped on her when she came in after ECAET (was the curtain operator a M/É shipper?), for one, and at the end of the sewer scene one of the guys playing a corpse exited by ROLLING offstage. He was probably trying to be inconspicuous. It backfired.

:shock: :shock: :shock: He actually rolled. :shock: :shock: :shock: Wooooow.... :shock:

You rang, Marius? :wink: If you click the link, be warned that that was done when we were planning a genderswap fic, so Cosette is a boy. Not that that's the largest "WTF" bit if it, but just so you know. :wink:

During Suddenly in the film, the cart crashes.

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

Return to “Les Misérables”