Comedic anti-climatic moments

Any discussion related to any production or staging of Boublil and Schönberg's Les Misérables.
HopeForTheJust
Location: Loitering near the Place du Châtelet, waiting for someone

Re: Comedic anti-climatic moments

Postby HopeForTheJust » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:05 am

I LOVE ALL OF THESE ^ ^ ^
"To shame the guise o'th' world, I will begin/
The fashion: less without, and more within."
-Posthumus Leonatus, Cymbeline

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:19 am

Prisoner 24653 wrote:Valjean tries to lift the cart, but the weight shifts and the cargo on the cart falls onto Fauchelevent and kills him anyway. Valjean looks around, then says "It wasn't me!" and wanders off.

Javert jumps off what he assumes to be a bridge over the Seine, but in his delirium, he doesn't realize that he simply walked over to a swimming pool and jumped off the diving platform. Thus, he's perfectly fine (if a bit confused) after the jump, especially once people start applauding and holding up scorecards.

Thénardier tries to pickpocket someone, but the person turns out to be a mousetrap salesman, and so T. painfully gets his hand caught in a mousetrap.

Thénardier is looting corpses, but one of them is just playing dead. When T. goes over to pick the guy's pocket, he yells "Boo!", scaring T. out of his wits.

Valjean believes he's dying and has his big, tearful reunion with Marius and Cosette... but then, it turns out he just had a mild case of food poisoning. After a good night's sleep, he's perfectly fine.

The students have built a barricade... but it collapses as soon as someone tries to climb it. Enjolras facepalms.

While wading through the sewers, Valjean accidentally drops Marius in the filth and can't find him. Later, he tells Cosette that Marius was killed in the battle, as he can't bear to admit his mistake.

Valjean runs into the courtroom and sings "Who am I?" Then he suddenly gets amnesia. "...No, really, who am I? I don't remember."

Oh my word, James, those really are fantastic. :lol:
...I'd pick a favorite, but I just can't.
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:55 am

HopeForTheJust wrote:I LOVE ALL OF THESE ^ ^ ^

AAAALLLLL OF THEM. :mrgreen:

Although Champmathieu isn't Jean Valjean, he did break his parole after being out of prison, which he went to for stealing bread. The whole calling him Valjean thing was due to a mix in the paperwork.

Alternatively, Champmathieu does have a 24601 tattoo on his chest, but in commemoration of his niece's birthday.

....I tried.

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

meow139

Postby meow139 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:56 am

Okay, I suck at this.... Musical verse:

Montparnasse shows up early to the robbery and instead of meeting Éponine Cosette spots him and he ends up awkwardly joining her in A Heart Full of Love, while Éponine and Marius are just watching from the shadows. Marius is crying and Éponine's laughing her ass off.

Also, Patron-Minette are all just sitting there observing this and eventually they just get fed up with Parnasse and go home, so there isn't any robbery.

The kid who Éponine swapped clothes with shows up in a dress in the middle of ALFOR and starts demanding his clothes back. (Seriously, what happened to that guy? Where did Éponine even FIND him?)

Movie verse:

When Valjean shoots at the wall when freeing Javert, a huge hunk of concrete gets knocked off and hits Javert in the head, killing him instantly.

Book verse:

Instead of proclaiming the republic, Jehan calls in Cthulhu. (Thank you AMarguerite!)
I change barricade boyfriends by the day.

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:26 pm

meow139 wrote:The kid who Éponine swapped clothes with shows up in a dress in the middle of ALFOR and starts demanding his clothes back. (Seriously, what happened to that guy? Where did Éponine even FIND him?)

I've seen several fics where the guy is the Changer mentioned elsewhere, but my (cracky) brain always liked to think it was a guy who liked cross-dressing and/or was needing a dress to pull a prank on friends. Or Montparnasse.

And Montparnasse joining in AHFOL is great. :lol:

The National Guard only wants to get in a snowball fight, but is so upset when they realise it doesn't snow in June they go pout in the corner instead.

Fantine keeps holding the "waaaaaaaaaake" at the end of Come to Me, for about three hours, before she finally dies.

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

MmeFeuilly

Postby MmeFeuilly » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:40 am

I've always sort of picture Javert doing some really dramatic dive (with a couple of flips, etc.) and then swimming off stage. He didn't give up on life, just wanted to pursue his dream of being a professional diver.
Marius doesn't get who Valjean is, in the: "Who am I?" "You're Jean Valjean." bit. so it just ends up something awkward like "Who am I?" "uh... my father-in-law?"
I Live On Constellation Street

sekibun

Postby sekibun » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:00 pm

It took me a while to find "10 lines that would have changed Les Misérables"
This was originally on some Les Mis fan site circa 1996 or so, so I'm reposting here.
Credits goes to a fan by the name of Robert Deutsch. Archived version here.

10) Jean Valjean, for your crime of stealing a loaf of bread, I sentence you to three weeks of community service.

9) Fantine a troublemaker? That nice girl? I don't believe it!!

8 ) Yes, my name is Javert, but you, Jean, can call me Chris.

7) I'm sorry, Monsieur; I can't give you more than five francs for these candlesticks: they're just silver plate.

6) Monsieur Le Maire, as sure as my name is Javert, I know you used to be number 24601, but, hey, that's ancient history.

5) Listen! Listen! General Lamarque has been elected President!

4) Grantaire, you have the right idea. Let's all have a few drinks and forget all about this revolution stuff.

3) Me, go in the sewer, with the dampness and the rats and everything? No way!

2) Éponine, it's true: I love Cosette. But maybe you'd be interested in a threesome...

1) Sister, just because this is Sunday and the bakery is closed, I'm not going to steal a loaf of bread!

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:31 am

In AHFOL...

Marius: "My name is Marius Pontmercy."
Cosette: "And mine's Cosette."
Marius: "Cosette! I don't know what to say..."
Cosette: "Then make no sound."
Marius: *promptly shuts up*

Then the orchestra members and audience sit in confused and uncomfortable silence until the conductor decides to move on to the Attack on Rue Plumet.

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:00 pm

I've just come upon this. Twenty years old, but still hilarious!
sekibun wrote:It took me a while to find "10 lines that would have changed Les Misérables"
This was originally on some Les Mis fan site circa 1996 or so, so I'm reposting here.
Credits goes to a fan by the name of Robert Deutsch. .
10) Jean Valjean, for your crime of stealing a loaf of bread, I sentence you to three weeks of community service.

9) Fantine a troublemaker? That nice girl? I don't believe it!!

8 ) Yes, my name is Javert, but you, Jean, can call me Chris.

7) I'm sorry, Monsieur; I can't give you more than five francs for these candlesticks: they're just silver plate.

6) Monsieur Le Maire, as sure as my name is Javert, I know you used to be number 24601, but, hey, that's ancient history.

5) Listen! Listen! General Lamarque has been elected President!

4) Grantaire, you have the right idea. Let's all have a few drinks and forget all about this revolution stuff.

3) Me, go in the sewer, with the dampness and the rats and everything? No way!

2) Éponine, it's true: I love Cosette. But maybe you'd be interested in a threesome...

1) Sister, just because this is Sunday and the bakery is closed, I'm not going to steal a loaf of bread!
Don't mess with Texas! We mess up enough by ourselves.
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now (10-3-17)

Return to “Les Misérables”