Stupid things you've heard people say about Les Mis

Any discussion related to any production or staging of Boublil and Schönberg's Les Misérables.
Trompe-la-Mort

Re: Stupid things you've heard people say about Les Mis

Postby Trompe-la-Mort » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:43 pm

Funnily enough, I've never heard anyone claim that Les Mis was set during the French revolution until I started regularly checking the imdb boards in the year leading up to the musical movie...
I have heard people claim it's an Andrew Lloyd Webber musical, though. Or a Broadway/American musical... I'm not 100% certain of the definition of "Broadway musical", but I'm unsure if just ANY musical that ran on Broadway at some point qualifies... And it's still a French musical, because, you know, it's written by two French guys...

A newer funny one, though: So far, everything my little brother knew about Les Mis was that Disney comic, Secret of the silver candlesticks. I told him that that's not quite the same story (actually, the comic itself points that out...), but it seems he forgot. So, he is also quite the fan of Scrubs, so when Zac Effron tweeted about seeing the movie, my brother actually watched the trailer. And came to me, really confused... "Who's Enjolras? Who's Fantine? And Éponine? Where's that rebellion suddenly coming from? What happened to the treasure hunt? Why does everybody say it's such a sad story?"
I just took the comic and pointed to the one panel, where Donald points out to Scrooge McDuck that he told quite a different story...
Dark sarcasm ought to be taught at schools!

Rose1836

Postby Rose1836 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:38 pm

Enjolvert wrote:I don't mind when someone makes the mistake because it is a fairly common one and an understandable one if you're not familiar with the musical, but it's more annoying when it's someone who claims to really know the musical. :lol:

Exactly. People make mistakes, they mispronounce, big deal... but when people claim they know the subject, it´s a bit like "What?". But then, one guy refused to believe that STOKER´S Dracula does not burn in the sun, even when the book was quoted word for word. :roll:

inkrose115

Postby inkrose115 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:40 pm

Enjolvert wrote:I don't mind when someone makes the mistake because it is a fairly common one and an understandable one if you're not familiar with the musical, but it's more annoying when it's someone who claims to really know the musical. :lol:

Exactly. I swear it sometimes seems like the weirdest misunderstandings come from people that claim to know it well. But like I said, it's probably memory bias. It's just a lot less memorable when your average person makes an error, as some of them are quite understandable if they have only seen the musical or the films. So you smile, correct them, and move one. It is only aggravating when someone who claims to know better makes a mistake.

I've heard some pretty weird things from people who ought to know better; in my classes a lot of the dumbest questions seem to always come from people are are snobby and act as though they know everything already.

Also most people I talked with were under the impression the ending was tacked on simply to end on an positive note. They thought that it was heaven or some abstract place.

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:28 pm

This one's on my brother, actually, though the poor fellow's not to blame at all. I told him that Jean Valjean and Cosette were some of the main characters, and his first question was "Did they get married?" :shock: I said no, and he said "Why not?" I had to, um, explain the age difference and stuff. :shock: At least he certainly understands now, and sometimes makes fun of "Cosette and Marius being all kissy and stuff!"
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:22 am

Here's a gem from Edward Behr's "Complete Book of Les Misérables", attempting to translate the Japanese lyrics for the beginning of 'I Dreamed a Dream' to show us the problems that arose from translating the show into such a different language:

Long ago men sweet words whispered,
love intoxicated,
filled were days gone by . . .
I dream saw hope
high-live-kite, love forever, God forgive . . .

*low whistle* Some of that, I suppose, is forgivable if we assume Behr (or whoever figured out that bit for him) was just looking up individual words in a Japanese dictionary with no understanding of how the grammar worked. From the line rendered as "I dream saw hope" onward came from the main part of the song, so they skipped (or were unaware of) a substantial portion. Where the "kite" came from, though, is anybody's guess. It's possible that the Japanese lyrics really were that bad in the original production but were fixed by the time of the 2000 performance I saw a video of and the subsequent cast albums in 2003 (since the albums from 1994 omit that section and just go into the main part of the song), but I kind of doubt it (though if anyone does have a live recording from Japan in the late 80s or early 90s, I'd love to hear it). The actual lyrics from the recordings I've seen/heard are more like this:

Long ago (or "In the past"), men would whisper sweet words
Love would intoxicate
The world was a song
that made my heart pound
It was a dream, but now . . .

I once had a dream,
and I lived with high hopes
(I dreamed) that love was forever;
that God would continue to forgive . . .

Much more understandable and true to the spirit of the English lyrics, I'd say... so yeah, not sure what Behr was doing there.

brixhamlaura

Postby brixhamlaura » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:31 pm

I just was talking to someone on the phone about our production of Mis, and he thought it was a sex show because it has prostitutes in it. :shock:
He hung up very disappointed.
Les Mis fan...
Highly chuffed to be directing a (non-musical) stage show based on aforementioned brilliant Victor Hugo novel, in 2013 - http://southdevonplayers.weebly.com

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:08 pm

.......what?!! :shock:
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Enjolvert

Postby Enjolvert » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:05 pm

On that one, I did used to think that Master of the House was about a whore house and that Thenardier owned a house where prostitutes were sold/rented out as that was what someone had told me the song was about long before I had any knowledge of the show. Knowing Thenardier, a lot of that stuff probably did go on but I was slightly surprised when I realised it was only an inn he owned. Because of that I'd always assumed the scene with whores was MOTH.
The law is unjust.

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:11 am

They let us think that in marching band in high school when we were illegally doing selections from the show. Seriously. I don't remember if we were directly told there were whores dancing on tables (not like organized dancing on tables, just that when everyone gets all het up and starts dancing on tables, the women involved happen to be whores). So this is a common one and depending on what the ensemble staging ends up like, possibly not a misconception when it comes to the show itself.

Though a few years later, we sucked so hard at remembering our parade music that our director gave up and let us just do a section of The Heat Is On In Saigon (we were doing Miss Saigon that year for our field show) when we were marching in the parade at Disney World. Yes. Magic Kingdom. Electrical Parade. Midwestern high school playing a song about an actual whorehouse. By sheer chance, Jimmy and Rosalyn Carter were in attendance.

My band director was awesome and obviously had no problem with high school kids and shows involving prostitution.
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:15 am

That is so awesome :D I wonder if anyone got what it was you were playing and made the connection!
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Rachel

Postby Rachel » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:20 am

Les Mis, huh? So it's about miserable lesbians?

NO. IT'S NOT.

Clearly, I have fantastic luck in the dating field.

Quotes to live by:
"This is highly illegal!" ~Inspector Javert (The Girl Nextdoor)

brixhamlaura

Postby brixhamlaura » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:31 pm

had an answerphone message requesting being allowed to audition for our production of "Les Michael"...

:shock:
Les Mis fan...
Highly chuffed to be directing a (non-musical) stage show based on aforementioned brilliant Victor Hugo novel, in 2013 - http://southdevonplayers.weebly.com

FortressDoor
Location: Taking Down the government!!! (Via Facebook. The outside scares me)

Postby FortressDoor » Sun May 05, 2013 9:18 pm

My pronounciation of it has probably annoyed my friends a lot- even though I know more about it than they do. I used to go "Les miserablelelelel **** it-n les mis-er-ab-leseses"- I literally couldn't say it :oops:

Most of these are about the 2012 movie

1. "It's too long"- STFU and read the book.

2. Any mention of Susan Boyle- You are now an oxygen thief.

3. I actually read a Youtube comment that said that until the 2012 adaptation, the 1998 movie was the most accurate adaptation of Les Misérables there was. *facepalm*
4. "Everything is sung, thats so stupid "- shut up.
5. "Russel Crowe is bad"- I beg to differ.

Also, 2 people that have barely met and are single, a love couple do not make.
Everyone who complains that the movie is too long hasn't read the book.

Name stolen from friend on other forum.

Rachel

Postby Rachel » Sun May 05, 2013 10:11 pm

What's so bad about Susan Boyle?

*steals some oxygen*

Clearly, I have fantastic luck in the dating field.

Quotes to live by:
"This is highly illegal!" ~Inspector Javert (The Girl Nextdoor)

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun May 05, 2013 10:23 pm

FortressDoor wrote:2. Any mention of Susan Boyle- You are now an oxygen thief.

Errr....harsh much? :?
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Return to “Les Misérables”