Stupid things you've heard people say about Les Mis

Any discussion related to any production or staging of Boublil and Schönberg's Les Misérables.
Aurelia Combeferre

Re: Stupid things you've heard people say about Les Mis

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:06 pm

These:

"Isn't this about the French Revolution?"

"Marius led the revolutionaries, right?" (permissible I guess, if one has not read the book)
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

MamzelleCombeferre

Postby MamzelleCombeferre » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:41 pm

Permissable, but still groan inducing.

As for the French Revolution one, I've ranted to people so many times about how Les Mis is set in a completely different time period than the French Revolution, although I must admit that I was at one time guilty of saying the exact same thing.
KITTENS AND UNICORNS AND RAINBOWS OH MY! *Sparkles*

BlazingDarkness

Postby BlazingDarkness » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:44 pm

I was watching Two Broke Girls, and there was something along the lines of this:
Caroline: I wrote a musical once. It was about the French Revolution.
Max: There's already one. Les mis?
Caroline: Yeah, but mine's from the side of the rich.

*Facepalm*

enjolraslesunicorn

Postby enjolraslesunicorn » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:58 am

My friend totally depressed me. First of all he said Cosette was the main character. Because she's first on the IMDB character list. Now Fantine is, but still. Then I started talking about Jean Valjean being main, and Javert, and he said I said Javert wrong. My pronounciation: "Jah-ver". His: "Hah-ver". Then he also threatened to punch me in the face if I said "Jean Valjean" the way the French say it. He almost did it. And his reason: His sister took French for six years, and that's "how the French say J." You know, like the Spanish. And I am pretty much the Les Mis expert in my grade, and knew the musical since I was like three. So yeah. If he pronounces Enjolras' name wrong too, I'm gonna be mad. He probably doesn't even know who the heck he is. And can he name pretty much every character in the novel, even the minor ones? I can't name them all, but the majority of them. So, I can't wait 'til he sees it and realizes how wrong he was.
It's the return of the horrendously drawn unicorn horn

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:17 pm

I'm not sure that saying that Cosette is the main character would be entirely incorrect; she is one of the "centers," for sure. Although Fantine (and just about everyone else) do overshadow her a lot in the musical, so that could be debated back and forth forever.

Heh, I used to say "Ha-ver." And I still call Brujon "Bru-hahn." :oops:

Conversation with my friend about the Brick:
Me: So, have you read it yet?
Friend: Well, I started it, but stopped when I realized it wasn't about the French Revolution.
Me: :shock: :evil: There's, uh, Waterloo! You'd like that! And, uh, street revolts!
Friend: Oh. *walks off*
Me: :evil:

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

enjolraslesunicorn

Postby enjolraslesunicorn » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:28 pm

Yeah, it's not horrible, it was just the whole "I'm gonna punch you if you say Jean Valjean again" thing and saying that I'm wrong and not acknowledging that I'm not right.
And hon valhon. It sounds like something someone with an accent would say.
It's the return of the horrendously drawn unicorn horn

Amy3422

Postby Amy3422 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:36 pm

Hearing Les Mis. criticized by people who just don't get it is annoying, but I suppose it doesn't count.

However, I have some really bad ones about myself:

My first introduction to Les Mis. was when I was in a split class in grade 4 and the grade 5s used an abridged version for their novel study. I realized that what they were studying was amazing and sometimes eavesdropped on their classes (which were in French and not the easiest to follow). I overheard that having an illegitimate child was bad and that Cosette goes to get water in the night. I assumed she was going to get a drink of water *facepalm*, but understood about how she was left with inkeepers.
Also - and I have no idea how this happened - I missed the name Fantine and thought Jean Valjean was the name of Cosette's unwed mother, and that she eventually went back and retrieved Cosette.
When I next tuned in, they were talking about when Valjean carries Marius on his back. Since I didn't know this was nine years later and thought Cosette was a little kid, I assumed that Marius must be some new guy that Valjean/Fantine was in love with.

All very embarassing now, but not my fault. Later that year I saw the play and things sorted themselves out.

moderntrickster

Postby moderntrickster » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:11 am

Just to be Devil's advocate, I think a lot of people say "during the French Revolution" and mean, around the time of the French Revolution. The period we're in isn't the French Revolution, but it's not Napoleonic anymore either, and it's not Victorian yet, it's just this weird period of history where things were happening. When you're talking to people who don't have an excess of knowledge on history, you sort of have to generalize in order to give them the most vivid (albeit not entirely correct) picture of when you're talking and most people can picture French Revolution better than they can, say, late Romantic era, which is what it can most accurately be called (or post-Napoleonic, but that's really a huge window of interpretation).

On-topic, though... I've heard people refer to the barricade boys as "peasants" and twitch. While some of Les Amis can potentially be called such, referring to the students that way is just... inaccurate.
Suffering seems to be the inevitable fate of the creative sensitive types. Poverty, disease, death, unrequited love affairs, and disappointments of every sort fan the flame of the artistic spirit. - Henry Miller

Rose1836

Postby Rose1836 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:34 am

Moanings that Les Misérables is violently anti-Catholic and "supports Reign of terror in French Revolution". :roll:

Amy3422

Postby Amy3422 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:03 pm

Rose1836 wrote:Moanings that Les Misérables is violently anti-Catholic and "supports Reign of terror in French Revolution". :roll:

Where do they get that from? What about the Bishop, the Petit-Picpus, Sister Simplice, and Valjean's own Catholicism? In what way does Les Mis support the Terror?

Haha. Also, complaints about the movie that, since the 1832 revolution failed, the finale at the end makes no sense. :?

Rose1836

Postby Rose1836 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:45 pm

Amy3422 wrote:
Rose1836 wrote:Moanings that Les Misérables is violently anti-Catholic and "supports Reign of terror in French Revolution". :roll:

Where do they get that from? What about the Bishop, the Petit-Picpus, Sister Simplice, and Valjean's own Catholicism? In what way does Les Mis support the Terror?

Good question! Couple of Catholics in the net claimed that. I was a bit like :evil: What version you have read/seen?

inkrose115

Postby inkrose115 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:17 am

Les Misérables being set during the French Revolution. Judging by other posts that is a fairly common one. What annoys me was it was our teacher who said this, and she was supposedly familiar with the musical.

Assuming that Javert is the villain, although I can kind of understand this, as most of the people who say this have only seen the 1998 and/or the 1935 film versions.

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:00 am

I had a teacher who said that, too. :lol: I was talking about Les Mis again, having gone to school in a Jean Valjean coat, and it got brought up, and the class was confused, and he said, "It's about this heroic guy in the french revolution..." and then I cut him off, saying, "It's not in the french revolution." He paused, and said, "What?" and I told him that Les Mis took place after the french revolution, that it was the June Rebellion in 1832, roughly forty years after the french revolution. His response? "...Uh...I know. {immediately changes the subject and moves on}..." :wink:
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

inkrose115

Postby inkrose115 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:19 am

I want to buy a Les Misrables shirt and write on it with a sharpie "Not Set during the BLEEPing French Revolution".

It's actually a very understandable mistake, but the is only so many times one can hear it from people who claim to be experts before one loses their grip on their precious sanity. Funnily enough it seems like the most egregious mistakes are made by people who claim to know a lot Les Misérables, but it might be memory bias.

Enjolvert

Postby Enjolvert » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:24 pm

I don't mind when someone makes the mistake because it is a fairly common one and an understandable one if you're not familiar with the musical, but it's more annoying when it's someone who claims to really know the musical. :lol:
The law is unjust.

Return to “Les Misérables”