Stupid things you've heard people say about Les Mis

Any discussion related to any production or staging of Boublil and Schönberg's Les Misérables.
User avatar
singingstar1216
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:07 am

Re: Stupid things you've heard people say about Les Mis

Postby singingstar1216 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:56 am

Well, my current director is under the impression that Gavroche has an L in his name. Like Galvroche. It's driving me insane, especially because she's seen the musical so many times and knows it so well...other than name pronunciations.

Also, a friend of mine took her husband to Les Mis and she asked him which song he liked the most. He said, "The song that Valjean sang to Marcus." Then she said, "You mean MARIUS?"

And then there are people who sing "On My Own" like pop divas. I want to tell them, "Guys! She's walking the streets of Paris by herself, she's not performing in a concert. Just because she can belt doesn't mean she's supposed to sound like Katie Perry. This is the 1800s!"
Love is beautiful, but beauty is not love.

User avatar
TheRandomPhangirl
Posts: 2831
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:24 pm
Location: So far in the closet I could be in blimmin Narnia

Re: Stupid things you've heard people say about Les Mis

Postby TheRandomPhangirl » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:00 am

My parents came up with some pretty good stuff last Wednesday.

"So...that Fantine woman, did Marius not love her at all?"
"Mum...Fantine never met Marius"
"Wasn't she the one who died?"
"Everybody dies, mum"
"But she must have met him, because she died in front of him after he pretended to love her"
"Oh boy...."


"So, was Gavroche the drunk guy's son?"
"Which drunk guy?"
"That one who died"
"No!"


"Cosette needs a slap. Éponine was so much better. And Marius was a dumb shit"

"So Javerts's the bad guy right?"

"Why didn't Éponine go for the guy wearing your vest?"

Yep, best night ever.
I'm the one to shout "Down with Polignac!"

User avatar
Barricade Butterfly
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:01 am
Location: On a Les Mis fan forum...

Re: Stupid things you've heard people say about Les Mis

Postby Barricade Butterfly » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:37 pm

I walked into class wearing my Les Mis shirt (it was my mom's, so this is the Original Broadway logo, mind you) and literally three people react like: "Dude! That movie was so depressing!" *facepalm*

Edit: and I just remembered. My friend saw a community production, and I asked who her favorite character was. Well, she had somehow gotten it in her head that Gavroche's name was Tommy. :shock: Not really stupid, she honestly thought.... and was surprised.......I will just never know how she got "Tommy."
"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words, and which cannot be silenced"--Victor Hugo

User avatar
Gervais
Posts: 5975
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:10 pm
Location: Smelling your soul within your handkerchief

Re: Stupid things you've heard people say about Les Mis

Postby Gervais » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:53 am

Barricade Butterfly wrote:I walked into class wearing my Les Mis shirt (it was my mom's, so this is the Original Broadway logo, mind you) and literally three people react like: "Dude! That movie was so depressing!" *facepalm*

The logos aren't that different, though. *shrug* Also, comments like that are a good way to introduce them to the Brick. Trust me. :wink:
(...Is there merchandise for the movie alone? I don't think I've seen it, but even if there were, I doubt it would be much different than what they were selling at the theaters, which are mostly the Little Cosette engraving or say 24601. Or have song lyrics.).

...Maybe the actor was named Tommy? But otherwise...yeah, there's nothing for that.
Image

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

User avatar
Acaila
Posts: 9984
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:44 am
Location: Scotland

Re: Stupid things you've heard people say about Les Mis

Postby Acaila » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:23 am

I've got some posters from the movie, and I think there might be a Denny version of the Brick with the movie cover. Otherwise I think it's only unofficial stuff, like the myriad of cockades that come up every time you put "les mis" into etsy.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

User avatar
Auf die Barrikaden
Posts: 722
Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 2:36 pm
Location: In the heart of the city we claim as our own!
Contact:

Re: Stupid things you've heard people say about Les Mis

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:31 am

I got a postcard set of the movie, with the eight poster motives: http://chachic.files.wordpress.com/2013 ... es-mis.jpg
And some flyers. Other than a shirt promoting the movie (or DVD release) and the brochure that was in the Mail on Sunday UK, that's it for merchandise to my knowledge.
Resident Les Miz prop expert and collector
Non licet omnibus adire Corinthum
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

User avatar
Prisoner 24653
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:07 pm

Re: Stupid things you've heard people say about Les Mis

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:23 pm

I just got a BroadwayWorld theatre news e-mail talking about a video interview with "Les Misérables' New Bad Guy, Will Swenson."

*headdesk*

User avatar
Majestic_Picnob
Posts: 302
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:10 pm
Location: THE SHRINE OF THE SILVER MONKEY

Re: Stupid things you've heard people say about Les Mis

Postby Majestic_Picnob » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:41 pm

"Javier" always gets a chuckle out of me.
"Oh my God! I'll never have time to strike a pose!"

1886
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:40 am

Re: Stupid things you've heard people say about Les Mis

Postby 1886 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:21 pm

One night in Sydney a girl asked her mum what was Les Mis about and the mum said, it's about the war dear.

Malaika
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:26 pm

Re: Stupid things you've heard people say about Les Mis

Postby Malaika » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:29 pm

After telling one of my friends that I'd read the brick she was like : "how do you read les mis, isn't it just all the song lyrics?"
It took me a while to explain that the film was based on a musical which was based on a book.

:shock:

User avatar
Chantefleurie
Posts: 81
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:39 pm
Location: The realm of forgotten words

Re: Stupid things you've heard people say about Les Mis

Postby Chantefleurie » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:24 am

One of mine - until I read the Brick this year, all I had to go on was the 2012 movie, and I used to think that the man who I now know to be Courfeyrac was Gavroche's older brother. Reason: Gavroche sits on his shoulders a couple times, and Courfeyrac is the one who tries to pull Gavroche back when he goes over the barricade. Also, I just had some assumption that Gavroche must have had an older friend or relative in the rebellion who would inspire Gavroche's interest in the whole deal. I just couldn't picture a kid his size involved in politics. (But having read the Brick, I'm kind of surprised that there weren't MORE Gavroches running around the barricades - though maybe there were, but not everyone is quite like Gavroche).

EDIT: Speaking of Gavroche, I've had this conversation once with a well-read adult:

Me: Have you read Les Misérables?
Him: I tried once, but it was too muddled. I just remember there was a convict and Gavroche.

My reaction: shame that's all you remember, but woohoo! Gavroche made it to the list of main memorable characters!
C'est tellement mystérieux, le pays des larmes. ~Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Ilargi
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:42 pm

Re: Stupid things you've heard people say about Les Mis

Postby Ilargi » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:51 am

Chantefleurie wrote:One of mine - until I read the Brick this year, all I had to go on was the 2012 movie, and I used to think that the man who I now know to be Courfeyrac was Gavroche's older brother. Reason: Gavroche sits on his shoulders a couple times, and Courfeyrac is the one who tries to pull Gavroche back when he goes over the barricade. Also, I just had some assumption that Gavroche must have had an older friend or relative in the rebellion who would inspire Gavroche's interest in the whole deal. I just couldn't picture a kid his size involved in politics. (But having read the Brick, I'm kind of surprised that there weren't MORE Gavroches running around the barricades - though maybe there were, but not everyone is quite like Gavroche).

Not so bad. In the film you don't understand very well why Courfeyrac and Gavroche are so close. I used to think that Courfeyrac just was friendlier with kids than the rest (but again I didn't know anything about Courfeyrac when I first watched the film, all the students looked the pretty much the same to me, except for Enjolras who sang more - does it count as stupid? :oops: )

Chantefleurie wrote:Me: Have you read Les Misérables?
Him: I tried once, but it was too muddled. I just remember there was a convict and Gavroche.

My reaction: shame that's all you remember, but woohoo! Gavroche made it to the list of main memorable characters!


So you mean that man overcame the whole Waterloo part and then gave up? Because, if I remember well, Gavroche doesn't appear until book 3, does he? Except for the scene when he's the crying little child of the Thénardiers. Anyway, it's difficult not to love Gavroche. You should convince that man to give the book a second chance. :wink:


For some reason, my mother can never remember the title of Les misérables (it's similar in Spanish: "Los Misérables") and she often asks me if the song I'm singing belongs to "Los invisibles" (The invisible ones).

And this is not stupid, but I find it funny. Once, a friend ask me what Les Mis is about and the conversation began like this:
Me: Well, it's about a man who spent 19 years in prison because he stole a loaf of bread...
Her: Poor man! I hope the bread was tasty!
I was sorry to tell her he didn't even had the chance to taste it before he was arrested.

User avatar
Chantefleurie
Posts: 81
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:39 pm
Location: The realm of forgotten words

Re: Stupid things you've heard people say about Les Mis

Postby Chantefleurie » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:00 pm

Ilargi wrote:
Chantefleurie wrote:One of mine - until I read the Brick this year, all I had to go on was the 2012 movie, and I used to think that the man who I now know to be Courfeyrac was Gavroche's older brother. Reason: Gavroche sits on his shoulders a couple times, and Courfeyrac is the one who tries to pull Gavroche back when he goes over the barricade. Also, I just had some assumption that Gavroche must have had an older friend or relative in the rebellion who would inspire Gavroche's interest in the whole deal. I just couldn't picture a kid his size involved in politics. (But having read the Brick, I'm kind of surprised that there weren't MORE Gavroches running around the barricades - though maybe there were, but not everyone is quite like Gavroche).

Not so bad. In the film you don't understand very well why Courfeyrac and Gavroche are so close. I used to think that Courfeyrac just was friendlier with kids than the rest (but again I didn't know anything about Courfeyrac when I first watched the film, all the students looked the pretty much the same to me, except for Enjolras who sang more - does it count as stupid? :oops: )


To be honest, I didn't even know who Enjolras was until I read the book. Their names are mentioned only once or twice at best, and in the 2012 movie they cut out the Cafe de l'ABC song where most of the names get thrown in, so all the Amis were pretty much identical. I barely understood that Enjolras was special. The only reason I registered Courfeyrac at all was that his face stood out and Gavroche hangs around him more than the others.

And the funny thing is, when I started reading about Les Amis, and my own mental images started to form, I tried to map my image onto faces from the musical. And it turned out that my Combeferre looked like the 2012 Grantaire, and my Feuilly looked like the 2012 Combeferre. I was a very confused individual for a while.

Ilargi wrote:
Chantefleurie wrote:Me: Have you read Les Misérables?
Him: I tried once, but it was too muddled. I just remember there was a convict and Gavroche.

My reaction: shame that's all you remember, but woohoo! Gavroche made it to the list of main memorable characters!


So you mean that man overcame the whole Waterloo part and then gave up? Because, if I remember well, Gavroche doesn't appear until book 3, does he? Except for the scene when he's the crying little child of the Thénardiers. Anyway, it's difficult not to love Gavroche. You should convince that man to give the book a second chance. :wink:


I think he just skipped around a lot. Perhaps he even had an adapted edition to begin with. I thought of trying to convince him to try it again, but given the tone of relief in his voice at not having to read it in school pointed me elsewhere. ;) Sorry, but I'm not seeking out confrontations with real-life people because not everyone appreciates awesome books equally. :D

Ilargi wrote:And this is not stupid, but I find it funny. Once, a friend ask me what Les Mis is about and the conversation began like this:
Me: Well, it's about a man who spent 19 years in prison because he stole a loaf of bread...
Her: Poor man! I hope the bread was tasty!
I was sorry to tell her he didn't even had the chance to taste it before he was arrested.


Awww! That's sad but funny.

In the rare times that I speak about Les Mis, I try to avoid the usual descriptions. I've heard that it's a story about "war", about "an escaped convict who changes his ways", but neither one is really true. For a lack of encompassing all that is Les Mis into one sentence, I usually begin with that it's about all the kinds of misery caused by society before getting into specific examples. It's like when people say that Anna Karenina is about the life of Anna Karenina - well, no duh she's one of the main characters, but the book itself is more about all kinds of unhappy families, and Anna's is just one of them.
C'est tellement mystérieux, le pays des larmes. ~Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Ilargi
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:42 pm

Re: Stupid things you've heard people say about Les Mis

Postby Ilargi » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:41 am

Chantefleurie wrote:And the funny thing is, when I started reading about Les Amis, and my own mental images started to form, I tried to map my image onto faces from the musical. And it turned out that my Combeferre looked like the 2012 Grantaire, and my Feuilly looked like the 2012 Combeferre. I was a very confused individual for a while.

That's funny, haha!
For me, this book has been the first one in which I was able to imagine the characters as the author describes them and not as they appear in adaptations. I usually have problems to do that when I've seen the characters so many times in films, for example, with Harry Potter. But when reading Les Mis I somehow learned to forget how the actors look like and create my own mental images of the characters.

Chantefleurie wrote:Sorry, but I'm not seeking out confrontations with real-life people because not everyone appreciates awesome books equally.

Of course! I didn't mean you should argue with him. :wink: That's the problem when you are forced to read a book for school, that you end up hating it even if you would have liked it if you read it because you wanted or someone recommended it to you.

Chantefleurie wrote:In the rare times that I speak about Les Mis, I try to avoid the usual descriptions. I've heard that it's a story about "war", about "an escaped convict who changes his ways", but neither one is really true. For a lack of encompassing all that is Les Mis into one sentence, I usually begin with that it's about all the kinds of misery caused by society before getting into specific examples.

I'm trying to convince my friends to watch the film and I'm already having problems to raise their interest when I tell them about the characters. If I started to explain them the deep meaning of the story, they'd just run away! :( But yes, it's very difficult to summarize the plot, because though Jean Valjean is the main character, some of the others are very important too! And you can't avoid to mention the social and historical context, which not interested people usually find boring.

User avatar
23623
Posts: 497
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:08 am

Re: Stupid things you've heard people say about Les Mis

Postby 23623 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:17 am

Guess what, this is the decisive thread that prompted me to register an account! I laughed from the beginning to the end while reading this :lol:

Mine are probably not as funny... but definitely stupid:

1. I have a friend who is actually kind of a musical theater fan. She loves Les Miz the musical, but she hasn't read the novel. So one day when we were talking about Les Miz I mentioned that Enjy is a handsome man and this is how our conversation went:

Friend: What what what?! You must be kidding me.
Me: I'm not kidding. Hugo writes it. Come on it's cannon!
Friend: No I refuse to believe that. It can never be cannon because judging from what I've watched, how can it be? You see, obviously Marius is the handsome guy because he gets the girl while Enjy doesn't.
Me: Oh dear, is this the conclusion you get after watching the movie, TAC and 25AC etc? I guarantee you Enjy IS handsome. You need to read what Hugo writes.
Friend: ...oh, bad, bad Hugo.

And even now I can't believe what I have done to finally give her some faith in Enjy's appearance. I showed her a picture of Kröger as Enjy (yes you read it correct. I really didn't have any other pictures in my phone then). Then she said "Emmm... Well, now I think I can accept that Enjy is handsome."

2. Still that friend who refused to believe Enjy is handsome. So this was what happened after I sent the link of that famous Les Miz bloopers to her.

Friend: I guess there are technical problems with either my computer or the recording device they use.
Me: Why do you say that? When I watched it there were no problems at all. Maybe you can try again.
Friend: I tried, but there were still loud noises, like a blast, at some point.
Me: Wait, do you mean the noises at the end of the video when the little girl sings? That is not a blast, that's...
Friend: No, somewhere before that, when Valjean...
Me: Oh my God that is not a blast either. You misunderstand the absolutely best thing on that video!

*EDIT* So...said friend finally realized how handsome Enjolras is (thanks to whatever videos she's watched) and when we chatted today I was surprised to find that she had become a devoted Enjy fangirl and E/E shipper. :shock:
Friend: you know, I really wish the protagonist could be as handsome as Enjolras...
Me: ...(trying to remind her of Valjean's age but she didn't give me a chance to speak)
Friend: ...but anyway, he's got Cosette.
Me: Marius is NOT the protagonist!!
Friend: But now that Marius and Cosette are in a relationship, why can't Enjolras be Éponine's boyfriend? He's sooooo good-looking! And poor Éponine, nobody loves her!
Me: ...(totally speechless)
Now I sincerely wish she never realized that Enjolras is handsome.
Last edited by 23623 on Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Revolution, but civilization


Return to “Les Misérables”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron