Stupid things you've heard people say about Les Mis

Any discussion related to any production or staging of Boublil and Schönberg's Les Misérables.
Enjolvert

Stupid things you've heard people say about Les Mis

Postby Enjolvert » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:50 pm

Obviously, as fans of the musical, a lot of us have had the chance to see it several times and now understand the story without any trouble.

For people who have only seen it the once though, it may not be as easy and they may become confused with it at points and not understand what's going on, leading to them making bizarre conclusions.

An example was after a friend saw our school one, he thought Fantine had actually only gone to sleep, and wasn't able to work out at all that she was in fact dead. I think the odd person also thought that our ghostly figures in Empty Chairs were actually us and that we hadn't died after all.
The law is unjust.

mywildimagination

Re: Stupid things you've heard people say about Les Mis

Postby mywildimagination » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:05 pm

One person who saw our production thought Fantine and Cosette were played by the same person. How the finale worked out in their brains I do not know . . .

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:31 am

The other night, my brother looked at me and said,

"Combeferre's the drunk guy, right?"

I started laughing so hard, because as we all know, that's like completely opposite of Combeferre. I said, "No no no!!! That's Grantaire!"

The he looked really confused, and said, "I though Grantaire was Enjolras' right hand man! That Enjolras was always needing to help plan revolutions and stuff!" He could never remember which one was which.

So he got them mixed up, which wasn't really stupid, but it was pretty funny.

Oh, and my dad describes Les Mis as: "A play about a guy who stole some bread."
True, I guess, in a sense...But just so... so... wrong
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

Enjolvert

Postby Enjolvert » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:38 am

The other day someone who'd been involved in the production asked me if Valjean and Fantine were brother and sister.
The law is unjust.

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:58 am

Oh boy...

Ok, just remembered this one that my brother said. It's really funny. He told me Jean Valjean had committed suicide. I was really really confused, until he explained himself.

"But Jean Valjean committed suicide because he died waiting for Javert! He said Javert could take him after he rescued Marius, and then Javert said, "I will be waiting!" so Jean Valjean went back to the hospital where Fantine died and he and Javert fought, because he was waiting for Javert to come and arrest him. But he didn't eat food or drink anything, and put himself in the cold room, so he committed suicide after he'd been in there too long and Javert didn't come, by dying of starvation!"

That's the weirdest one I've heard. But I'm sure there's worse. :wink:

Poor guy. He really didn't understand...
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

Trompe-la-Mort

Postby Trompe-la-Mort » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:05 am

I can actually put one here that came from myself:
About two months before I saw Les Mis for the first time, me and my musical-obsessed friend (who'd take me to see the full musical in Berlin a few months later) were watching a recording of some kind of "Best-of-musicals" TV show. They had invited casts from several musicals that were running in Germany at the time to perform one to three songs from the musical in question. My friend was always stopping the video to give me the shortest possible summary of each musical. At some point, we came to Les Mis. They only showed songs from the first act (I think it was IDAD and MOTH, but I'm only 100% sure about MOTH) and so I got a very short summary of act 1 minus the prologue and when she said that Valjean then went to fetch Cosette, I asked her why he'd do that and if he was her father. Cue my friend's laughing fit...
I got a more detailed summary after that...

About a year later, I was giving a very long summary (~5 hours) of the book to a different friend (she had asked for a detailed summary) and after I finished she asked "And Javert?". I was really confused and reminded her that I'd told her about his death some 45 min ago. And she said, that, yes, I had, but she had all the time been expecting some Deus ex Machina rescue to be revealed, because she couldn't and didn't want to believe Hugo would let Javert die. So... New Javert fangirl after only a summary, huh?
Dark sarcasm ought to be taught at schools!

Mlle_Alexandrie

Postby Mlle_Alexandrie » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:38 am

I have a shirt with Little Cosette on it that I got in London, and literally every time I wear it my dad says something along the lines of "Oh, that's Gavroche, right?" :roll:
"The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."

Trompe-la-Mort

Postby Trompe-la-Mort » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:43 am

Sounds like he's just winding you up, though, doesn't it?
Dark sarcasm ought to be taught at schools!

MmeFeuilly

Postby MmeFeuilly » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:51 pm

I get the question "That's the one where they all die, right?" A lot. And "Isn't that the one with the bird?"
Yeah, the bird one confuses me too.
I Live On Constellation Street

Ulkis

Postby Ulkis » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:42 pm

Trompe-la-Mort wrote:I can actually put one here that came from myself:
About two months before I saw Les Mis for the first time, me and my musical-obsessed friend (who'd take me to see the full musical in Berlin a few months later) were watching a recording of some kind of "Best-of-musicals" TV show. They had invited casts from several musicals that were running in Germany at the time to perform one to three songs from the musical in question. My friend was always stopping the video to give me the shortest possible summary of each musical. At some point, we came to Les Mis. They only showed songs from the first act (I think it was IDAD and MOTH, but I'm only 100% sure about MOTH) and so I got a very short summary of act 1 minus the prologue and when she said that Valjean then went to fetch Cosette, I asked her why he'd do that and if he was her father. Cue my friend's laughing fit...
I got a more detailed summary after that...

I think it's a reasonable misundertstanding that you'd think Valjean is Cosette's father though.

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:33 pm

I think it's a reasonable misundertstanding that you'd think Valjean is Cosette's father though.

Yeah, I agree. He's her adopted father... Um... Less reasonable misunderstanding here... :oops: ... This one's on me. When I first saw it, the Enjolras looked really old. Like, I thought he was in his late forties. And our seats were really far back, so it was hard to see. It was the "new production" so Gavroche's death happened on the other side of the barricade where you couldn't see it, and then when Grantaire yelled, "Nooooooo....," we thought it was Enjolras. He was kind of the only one easily located on the barricade. So, from that and the fact that he and Enjolras seemed pretty close, and actually looked really related... I thought that maybe Enjolras was Gavroche's father. Yeah... so wrong... Know better now, though.

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:02 pm

How about this?

"Thenardier, it turns out, is Gavroche's father. Like Jean-Jacques Rousseau, he abandoned his baby at birth, and Gavroche never finds out who his father is....In one of his scams, Thenardier poses as a down-and-out actor, and Valjean, ever the soft touch, gives him money and clothing. But Thenardier (who fails to recognize the now older Valjean) believes him to be a fabulously wealthy old eccentric, and, thinking Cosette is Valjean's daughter, plans to kidnap her and hold her for ransom. Strangely, Valjean doesn't recognize Thenardier, either....Javert promptly arrests them...Valjean decamps through a window...French justice, so hard on Valjean, is surprisingly lenient as far as the Thenardiers are concerned, and they are soon released and back in business.

On stage, such flimsy, implausible melodrama would have been too far-fetched; wisely, none of it is included in the musical Les Misérables which constitutes a leaner, more credible version of Hugo's plot, and is far stronger as a narrative drama."

From "The Complete Book of Les Misérables," by Edward Behr. Published 1989 by Arcade Publishing. Self-explanatory. :D

enjolraslesunicorn

Postby enjolraslesunicorn » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:16 pm

Yesterday, my sister said that Fantine had a crush on Valjean. I was like "What the heck? No, of course not! Where'd you get that from?" Yeah, she didn't have a reason. So stupid!
It's the return of the horrendously drawn unicorn horn

Taelin

Postby Taelin » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:18 pm

"Why is this so depressing?!"

Enjolvert

Postby Enjolvert » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:20 pm

Someone's been watching that 1998 movie a bit too much. :lol:

Another one I heard a while back is that apparently Javert killed himself because he was annoyed at letting Valjean go again. Can't remember where though.
The law is unjust.

Return to “Les Misérables”