Dream Cast

Any discussion related to any production or staging of Boublil and Schönberg's Les Misérables.
Acaila

Re: Dream Cast

Postby Acaila » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:58 pm

Well Mari I did make a point of only picking people that had been in the stage show, and mostly only in parts they'd actually played, though there are quite a few people shifted around in the ensemble. Mostly because I have never remembered female ensemble quite so well unfortunately, but also because I wanted to sneak the likes of Forbach in more than I liked other Jolys for example.
Javert has never been an alternate role incidentally, because it's really not a demanding one (as Varela's penchant for lounging around backstage without his trousers will demonstrate)

Geronimo - I actually thought of Rapson when I was picking a BamBam! But I do think Blakely stuck out as being really good at it. Who is your favourite Marius if it's not Crewes?

I was tempted to sneak Thaxton in as a constable too, but I've already got a rather large male ensemble. :(

Speaking of my ensemble thoughts, I had a dream last night that Polycarpou was explaining just how the Pimp was the most important person in that entire scene :?

Matty as Claquesous would be the funniest thing, wouldn't it?
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:52 pm

Acaila wrote:Geronimo - I actually thought of Rapson when I was picking a BamBam! But I do think Blakely stuck out as being really good at it. Who is your favourite Marius if it's not Crewes?

I was tempted to sneak Thaxton in as a constable too, but I've already got a rather large male ensemble. :(

Speaking of my ensemble thoughts, I had a dream last night that Polycarpou was explaining just how the Pimp was the most important person in that entire scene :?

Matty as Claquesous would be the funniest thing, wouldn't it?

Well, you've actually seen Blakely, haven't you? As soon as Rapson came out, I was like, oh yeah, this is gonna be good. I'm so glad we have him on for Toronto's Bambam, too!

I don't know that I have a directly favorite Marius. Just a long list of ones that I really like, as mentioned above; Crewes, Cammelle, Lockyer, Jacobs, I loved Devin Ilaw, Tim Howar was awesome, etc. etc. No ultimate Marius yet.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:31 pm

You know, I also have an awful lot of Marii I like. It's funny, because he's not one of my absolute favourite characters in the musical - I prefer him in the Brick - and I've seen some really rubbish ones too, so it's not like one of those parts it's hard to do wrong. Heck, I even commented when I saw Jamie Ward that he's the best Marius I've seen in ten years. But I still seem to like a whole bunch of them in comparison to other characters.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:20 am

deHavilland wrote:Jean Valjean- John Owen-Jones [circa 1999]
Javert- Philip Quast
Fantine- Ruthie Henshall
Cosette- Annalene Beechey
Marius- Martin Crewes (it was a tough call between Crewes, Lockyer, Cammelle, Rawle, Jacobs and a couple other more recent Marii, but in the end I chose Crewes to play off of Beechey. They were really nice together.)
Éponine- Frances Ruffelle (she fits right into the Beechey-era, and I find that the way she plays Éponine is a good foil to Beechey's very sweet but capable Cosette.)
Thenardier- Alum Armstrong
Mme. Thenardier- Jenny Galloway
Enjolras- Stephen R. Buntrock (it's so close with Warlow, so close, but within the dynamic of the group I'm listing, Buntrock would work better, I think.)

Also:

Grantaire: Tom Zemon (I love Spieldenner's Grantaire, and I enjoy Linstead's Grantaire, and I can name probably five or six more that I really like, but to play off of Buntrock's Enjolras, gotta go with Zemon.)
Combeferre: David Bardsley
Feuilly: Jason Forbach

Updating to include:

Montparnasse/Bahorel - Chris Zonneville
Bamatabois - John Rapson

Not sure why I forgot to include Rapson the first time around, but seeing him again last night reacquainted me with how much I love his poncy yet menacing ass in that role.

And also Chris Zonneville as Montparnasse. But really what I mean when I say that is Chris Zonneville as Bahorel. From a visual standpoint, with his wild Drew Sarich-esque facial expressions, he's not exactly my ideal head canon image of Bahorel, but oh man was he brilliant. His arm was all shot to pieces and he took Grantaire on in a fight during Drink With Me, then as soon as the attack was called, he was there, struggling to load a gun with one working arm. And most importantly: when the boys came out for Empty Chairs and were all dead and somber and such, he had the BIGGEST shit-eating grin on his face I have ever seen. I loved it.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:49 am

Oh wow, that is an interesting take on the ghosts! I'm really glad you have a dream cast Bahorel now though!
Abaisse Chief/Chef

grantaire

Postby grantaire » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:31 pm

Valjean: Colm Wilkinson
Javert: Philip Quast
Fantine: Ruthie Henshall
Thénardier: Alun Armstrong
Mme Thénardier: Jenny Galloway
Gavroche: Adam Searles
Éponine: Samantha Barks
Enjolras: Ramin Karimloo
Marius: Michael Ball
Cosette: don't really care
Grantaire: Hadley Fraser
"Grantaire, put that bottle DOWN!"

CeridwenLynne
Location: At the Cafe Musain discussing politics with Enjolras.

Postby CeridwenLynne » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:23 am

Valjean----------Colm Wilkinson
Javert-----------Norm Lewis
Fantine----------Lea Salonga
Marius -----------Michael Ball
Eponine----------Samantha Barks
Cosette--------Judy Kuhn
Enjolras-------- Michael Maguire
Combeferre----David Bardsley
Feuilly ----- Matthew Camelle
Grantaire ----Hadley Fraser
Courfeyrac--- Fra Fee
Joly ---- Jamie Moscato
Gavroche----Daniel Huttlestone.
young Cosette -----Hannah Chick

My list is based on vocals. I know some of the above are now too old to play the parts.
" He makes no vain sacrifice who fights for a cause. All here are ready to die so that our brothers may live as free men. Liberty... sweet liberty... come fight with those who defend you." ----Enjolras.

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:01 am

Javert- Philip Quast
Fantine- Ruthie Henshall
Marius- Martin Crewes (it was a tough call between Crewes, Lockyer, Cammelle, Rawle, Jacobs and a couple other more recent Marii, but in the end I chose Crewes to play off of Beechey. They were really nice together.)
Éponine- Frances Ruffelle (she fits right into the Beechey-era, and I find that the way she plays Éponine is a good foil to Beechey's very sweet but capable Cosette.)
Thenardier- Alun Armstrong
Enjolras- Stephen R. Buntrock (it's so close with Warlow, so close, but within the dynamic of the group I'm listing, Buntrock would work better, I think.)

Also:

Grantaire: Tom Zemon (I love Spieldenner's Grantaire, and I enjoy Linstead's Grantaire, and I can name probably five or six more that I really like, but to play off of Buntrock's Enjolras, gotta go with Zemon.)
Bamatabois - John Rapson

Updating again-again because:

Brujon: Andrew Varela (and 1st cover Javert)

... I miss him, okay? And the irony of it is that I never really even liked his Javert to begin with! I just miss him.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:16 am

This is quite amusing to me :D
To be fair though, I suppose he fulfills the same role that James Smoker does in mine - give fans amusing cracky things to keep them happy, whether it be mic drops or haiku contests. Overlord of social media I guess? :D
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:23 pm

So, with the aid of our own Geronimo, I've just discovered Charlie Hagerty's Joly and....wow, I might need to do some rearranging.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:06 pm

Bahahaha, I was just coming here to do exactly that and saw there was a new post and was like SHE BEAT ME TO IT.

Javert- Philip Quast
Fantine- Ruthie Henshall
Marius- Martin Crewes
Éponine- Frances Ruffelle
Thenardier- Alun Armstrong
Enjolras- Stephen R. Buntrock

Also:

Grantaire: Tom Zemon
Bamatabois - John Rapson
Brujon: Andrew Varela (and 1st cover Javert)

Adding in:

Joly: Charlie Hagerty

The fact that I saw him three times in succession in 2005 and yet am only adding him to my dream cast now seems an egregious sin. I'm sorry, Charlie Hagerty. I'm sorry, Charlie Hagerty's hair.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:24 pm

deHavilland wrote:I'm sorry, Charlie Hagerty's hair.

We know what the priority is here. A Joly like that, I quite understand Musichetta!
Abaisse Chief/Chef

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:27 pm

Seeing Charlie Hagerty in two different Vietnam War musicals was a sad, sad thing. Not that Charlie's hair was the best part of him, but damn, he has really nice hair.

(Yes, I drove to Philly to actually suffer through Aspects of Love because Charlie is pretty enough to have made it all worthwhile. I paid tolls and paid for parking and got a friend to ditch out of work early because we did this on a weekday evening since that was when we could score the discount front row seats. I regret nothing.)

Tying back in, slightly: there was a tour review, professional, somewhere that bothered to mention Charlie. I don't think Grantaire even got a look in (sorry, Trent - you would have if I'd written it), but Charlie Hagerty got mentioned by name. He's obviously worth being in a dream cast if he can get called out in a professional review when he wasn't playing Marius.

Also, Varela, come back to covering Valjean. You were number 2 after Mark McVey of people I desperately wanted to see for real, and Mark lived up to everything I ever wanted, so I still want to see you as not Javert!
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:52 pm

MmeBahorel wrote:(Yes, I drove to Philly to actually suffer through Aspects of Love because Charlie is pretty enough to have made it all worthwhile. I paid tolls and paid for parking and got a friend to ditch out of work early because we did this on a weekday evening since that was when we could score the discount front row seats. I regret nothing.)

That is dedication, right there. Aspects of Love. Bleghhh.

I was watching a 3NT boot, which is why he came to my attention. Because the hair and then the fact that he's actually acting and reacting to things sustained throughout. Had to pull up one of my old 3NT playbills to figure out who he was, though. Trent Blanton, however, I remembered! Pity about that review, I've always really liked his Grantaire.

I like Varela's Valjean more than I like his Javert; from a vocal standpoint, anyway. But the presence that he brings to the stage when he's on for Javert is something that I found I really missed seeing Earl Carpenter last week. It kind of surprised me that it felt like Varela had a more commanding stage presence than Earl did. Wasn't something I expected. But I guess that's something that comes with the actor's personality, too. Varela owns everything he touches regardless of if he's onstage or not, and Earl's generally a lot more subdued.

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:09 am

It's also awkward at the stage door because Charlie is such a sweetheart, but half the time I'm having to remind myself I cannot just stand there and drool.

Last I saw him, he'd come down for a mutual friend's cabaret. Charlie is her "gay husband" from college (yep, I know a girl who was at Catholic with him, in the theatre program), and she agrees, with far more knowledge, that he is a perfect specimen of a human being.

I think I've realised the real reason I don't really play around with "Dream Casts" anymore is that I saw the show so many times with people I straight up adore as people that seeing any one of my casts, all together again, would make me happier than some perfect combination, and that's largely because the 3NT was so strong for so many years. The bits of dead weight were few and far between, particularly once JP Dougherty finally left. I have been so very, very lucky.
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

Return to “Les Misérables”