Dream Cast

Any discussion related to any production or staging of Boublil and Schönberg's Les Misérables.
Auf die Barrikaden

Re: Dream Cast

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:12 pm

(Personally, I almost feel as if Éponine receives her best characterization vocally when sung in French- something about the language itself gives her that soft and yet tough quality)

Funny you mentioned that because in the last few days I listened alot to the French recordings and the English/other foreign crosswise. It is now my impression that you have to be either French or from French descent/influence in any way to portray Thenardier, Éponine and Marius authentically.
Resident Les Miz prop expert and collector
Non licet omnibus adire Corinthum
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

Gigi

Postby Gigi » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:06 pm

Oh this is a lovely topic! Mt dream cast would be:

Valjean: Colm Wilkinson
Javert: Norm Lewis
Fantine: Madalena Alberto
Thénardier: Matt Lucas
Mme Thénardier: Jenny Galloway
Gavroche: Robert Madge
Éponine: Lea Salonga (but Samantha Barks would be great too)
Enjolras: Ramin Karimloo
Marius: Gareth Gates
Cosette: Katie Hall

Had to edit this because I just found out about the 2010 tour cast and I seriously love some of those voices.
Last edited by Gigi on Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Un incendie peut faire une aurore sans doute, mais pourquoi ne pas attendre le lever du jour?"

Rose1836

Postby Rose1836 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:31 am

Valjean: Alfie Boe (understudy: JOJ)
Javert: Philip Quast (understudy: Norman Lewis)
Cosette: Judy Kuhn
Fantine: Ruthie Henshall
Éponine: Lea Salonga
Marius: Nick jonas dubbed by Michael Ball :lol: (understudy: David Thaxton circa 2005 :lol:)
Enjolras: Killian Donnelly

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:30 pm

Oh well, since it's been bumped! :D

Valjean - Drew Sarich
Javert - Philip Quast (Michael McCarthy understudying)
Fantine - Ruthie Henshall
Thenardier - Alun Armstrong
Mme Thenardier - Jenny Galloway
Cosette - Philippa Healey
Marius - Niklas Anderson (understudy Jody Crosier)
Éponine - Jo Ampil (understudy Celia Kennan-Bolger)
Enjolras - Jason McCann (understudy David Thaxton)
Grantaire - Hadley Fraser

I reckon Fantine and the Thenardiers could both change, just that I haven't seen much in the way of Fantines who really made me feel "this is IT! :shock: " and I rather like Ruthie's tone of singing. I've seen good Thenardiers live, it's just that I never seem to remember two above all the rest. I think I'm similar to YoungStudentMarius in that I'll like one bit from one person, and one bit from another, but the extreme familiarity and them just looking *right* makes me default to Alun and Jenny.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Rose1836

Postby Rose1836 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:09 pm

Sorry, this cast needs a bit of trimming...

Valjean: Alfie Boe (understudy: JOJ)
Javert: Philip Quast (understudy: Norman Lewis)
Cosette: Judy Kuhn
Fantine: Ruthie Henshall
Éponine: Lea Salonga
Marius: Nick jonas dubbed by Michael Ball
Enjolras: David Thaxton (understudy: Killian Donnelly)

RayB

Postby RayB » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:19 pm

In terms of who I would have liked to see in the movie:

Valjean: John Owen-Jones
Javert: Earl Carpenter
Fantine: Betsy Morgan (I guess? Ruthie Henshall is the only Fantine I love)
Marius: Alistair Brammer (by default)
Éponine: Nancy Sullivan
Cosette: Katie Hall
Thenardier: Martin Ball
Madame Thenardier: Jenny Galloway
Enjolras: David Thaxton

HallowGhost2774

Postby HallowGhost2774 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:31 pm

Jean Valjean: JOJ (the best onstage JVJ)
Javert: Philip Quast (the greatest Javert ever)
Fantine: Anne Hathaway (because no-one else has ever made me appreciate the lyrics in IDAD more)
Marius: Alastair Brammer (because Ball is too old)
Éponine: Nancy Sullivan (nice to see a blonde Ep. and got a fantastic voice)
Cosette: Gina Beck (fantastic voice, still has that wonderful innocence about her)
Thénardier: Rowan Atkinson (having seen him as Fagin, he could be brilliant in this role)
Madame Thénardier: Jackie Marks (family friend, and the most deliciously vile Mme T in a long time)
Enjolras: David Thaxton (the voice, the jump, the majesty)
Grantaire: Adam Linstead (brilliant drunk, but wonderful emotion)
Gavroche: Daniel Huttlestone (adorable in the film, so cheeky)

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:20 am

HallowGhost2774 wrote:Grantaire: Adam Linstead (brilliant drunk, but wonderful emotion)

I highly approve of this! I should redo my dream cast just so I can add him in now actually since I know I did mine before I had seen him (well, unless the tour counts, but I didn't notice his existence in that production)
Abaisse Chief/Chef

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:50 am

Would you still put Linstead over Spieldenner?

Jean Valjean- John Owen-Jones [circa 1999]
Javert- Philip Quast
Fantine- Ruthie Henshall
Cosette- Annalene Beechey
Marius- Martin Crewes (it was a tough call between Crewes, Lockyer, Cammelle, Rawle, Jacobs and a couple other more recent Marii, but in the end I chose Crewes to play off of Beechey. They were really nice together.)
Éponine- Frances Ruffelle (she fits right into the Beechey-era, and I find that the way she plays Éponine is a good foil to Beechey's very sweet but capable Cosette.)
Thenardier- Alum Armstrong
Mme. Thenardier- Jenny Galloway
Enjolras- Stephen R. Buntrock (it's so close with Warlow, so close, but within the dynamic of the group I'm listing, Buntrock would work better, I think.)

With Bonus Honorable Mention:

Grantaire: Tom Zemon (I love Spieldenner's Grantaire, and I enjoy Linstead's Grantaire, and I can name probably five or six more that I really like, but to play off of Buntrock's Enjolras, gotta go with Zemon.)
Combeferre: David Bardsley
Feuilly: Jason Forbach

The romantic trio of Cosette/Marius/Éponine (Beechey/Crewes/Ruffelle) was based on performers I'd like to see working together, not necessarily my favorite individuals for each role. (Bar Beechey, she wins for Cosette.) Then of course, the Enjolras/Grantaire pairing is Buntrock and Zemon for the same reason. I think Warlow would be a little too overpowering in comparison to some of the other picks for students/romantic trio, so Buntrock's softer Enjolras fits in a little better. Ruthie, I just really like, ditto Alun and Jenny as the Thenardiers. Bardsley's Combeferre makes the entire TAC for me and Forbach had me sold at "ammunition's sh-ort!" (Maybe before then, since that comes pretty late in the libretto. But I love the way he does it.)

The weakest thing I think in what I listed above might be the way JOJ and Quast play off of each other. They're both from different eras of the show and I don't know how well they would mesh together despite being my favorite Valjean and Javert individually.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:39 am

Yes, much as I love Joe Spiels, I'd still consider Linstead to be my favourite. He is just so fabulously Brick-ish to me in his ability to be a magnificent shit and even though Joe does great at the heartstring tugging, I feel like Linstead handles the layers better and tugged enough to make me cry when I saw him live.

I might try and do this again and also cast as many of the minor parts as I can. Maybe even covers too! :D
Abaisse Chief/Chef

humanracer

Postby humanracer » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:39 am

Jean Valjean- Colm Wilkinson
Javert- Philip Quast
Fantine- Rose Laurens
Cosette- Amanda Seyfried
Marius- Michael Ball
Éponine- Frances Ruffelle
Thenardier- Barry James
Mme. Thenardier- Gay Soper
Enjolras- Anthony Warlow
Gavroche - Ross McCall

CosetteMari

Postby CosetteMari » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:24 am

Brilliant (I'm not English!) topic, m'dear! I do believe this will be mine:

Valjean- Hugh Jackman/Alfie Boe/Ramin Karimloo (not Enjy now!)

Javert (how can I choose?)- Philip Quast/Norm Lewis/Russell Crowe/Killian Donnelly/Earl Carpenter/Hadley Fraser (I know, I know... it's too much! Well, I actually also wanted Hadley to play Marius, but he's Javert!)

Fantine- Ruthie Henshall/Lea Salonga (she won't be playing 'Ponine 'cause she's Fantine!)/Anne
Hathaway

Mon. T- Matt Lucas/Alun Armstrong

Mme. T- Jenny Galloway

Marius- Michael Ball/Nick Jonas (yes, yes, I know)/Eddie Redmayne

Y. Cosette- Isabelle Allen

Cosette- Rebecca Caine/Judy Kuhn/Katie Hall/Amanda Seyfried

'Ponine- Samantha Barks

Enjolras- Michael Maguire/Anthony Warlow/Aaron Tveit

Gavroche- Robert Madge/Daniel Huttlestone

Heh, weird cast, I know! :mrgreen:
Whenever I see either Roy, 'Pony, Enjy, Mari, Fantine, Comb, Couf, Jehan, Joly, and Gav, I fangirl... too much. (Do you guys know who Roy is? Well, if you barricaders go online to the new performers, you might know... :D)

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:44 pm

Ok, so.....

Valjean - Drew Sarich. Though if I could have any cast I wanted for one night only, I might be tempted to say Chris Jacobsen to see if he could make me cry.

Javert - Quast. Anything to see him play it live. Thing is, I feel like Sarich would be better against a Javert like Tam Mutu, so it's another reason for possibly saying Jacobsen as Valjean, but Quast is the one above all others that would make a cast a dream cast.

Fantine - Ruthie Henshall. I was seriously reevaluating her place in my affections earlier this year, because I adore Jo Ampil so much, but then I saw Ruthie do IDAD live and I don't think anyone can do it better.

Marius - Niklas Andersson is my favourite certainly. And most of my other favourites are on video somewhere and he had such fantastic chemistry with.....

Éponine - Joanna Ampil. She doesn't look too old for it, even if she left the role 12 years ago. I want her back dammit!

Cosette - Philippa Healey. I'm just going into my favourites now amn't I? Though I would love to see Rebecca Caine do it too, but I think I'll say Philippa since I don't have anything more than audio to remember her by and I did really like her.

Thenardiers - Alun Armstrong for definites, but I'm tempted to say Sue Jane Tanner instead of Jenny Galloway, just because I've seen 3 videos of Jenny even though she's my favourite.

Enjolras - Jason McCann. Eh, you know how I feel about him. Also in the ensemble track where he gets to bang his gavel in Who Am I?

Grantaire - Adam Linstead. Yep.

Bishop and Combeferre - Paul Monaghan. Because anyone else is just weird to me as the Bishop. And it's always his voice I think of singing Ferre's bit in DYHTPS.

Courfeyrac - I'm tempted to say Chris Jacobsen so he can understudy Valjean and Enjolras. It is a *cast* after all :D. Also as the Factory Worker who is clearly just waiting to clock off.

Feuilly - Kieran Brown. He's still adorable like he was back when he played Feuilly and he sang it so well. Even though in my head, I always mentally recast him as....

Prouvaire - Ian Patrick Gibb. The most Jehan-ish Prouvaire that they've ever cast. And he can also be cover Marius.

Joly - Jason Forbach (and cover Feuilly). But still the one who hooks up with a chick in Master of the House from his Enjolras track.

Laigle - Joe Spieldenner (and cover Grantaire and Javert). But still the blind guy in Master of the House with the Lennon glasses.

Foreman - Hmm, Michael McCarthy is in my head for his epic moustache, though I do already have Spieldenner as a cover Javert. Not sure about this, but I might throw David Bardsley in for the sheer hell of it because I'd like to actually see what he did with it.

Bamatabois - Cameron Blakely

Pimp - Peter Polycarpou. Because he should be in there somewhere. Maybe cover Thenardier as well.

Montparnasse - Andy Coxon

Brujon - Going by recent discussion I'm tempted to leave this as a mystery! :D Eh, I'll throw Niall Sheehy in because I want to put him in somewhere.

Babet - James Smoker. He was precious and I was sad I didn't see him more than once. Parnasse is taken, but I'm sure he'd be a good Babet too. He can cover the Bishop too I suppose if I don't use Linstead for that. But more importantly, they can just give him the twitter account for weeks on end.

Claquesous - My thoughts just went "Who would it not be a dream cast without?" and my brain went to Matt Cammelle. This is now the most hilarious thing in the history of the world to me, so I am putting it down just for giggles.

Female ensemble - Elinor Collett (Factory girl and cover Fantine), Nancy Sullivan, Laura Michelle Kelly (cover Éponine), Annalene Beechey (cover Cosette), Katie Hall. Not sure who to put in the ensemble as cover Mme T, maybe someone like Claire Moore.

Swings -
Killian Donnelly
Jason Ostrowski
Sarah Lark
Lydia Griffiths

I never really keep that much of a close eye on the kids to care, but the Gavroches were a lot better around the 1999 UK Tour and in London in the few years after that, so as long as they don't try to make him cute and they do give him some attitude, I'll be fine.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

CosetteMari

Postby CosetteMari » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:13 pm

@Acaila: Cool! You really covered all the parts... how I wish I could insert the 2012 barricade boys into mine, so it would probably have all... except Killian. :cry: Is it kinda possible for him to be Comby with being an alternate for Javert? Oh yeah, wait. He can! :mrgreen:
Whenever I see either Roy, 'Pony, Enjy, Mari, Fantine, Comb, Couf, Jehan, Joly, and Gav, I fangirl... too much. (Do you guys know who Roy is? Well, if you barricaders go online to the new performers, you might know... :D)

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:21 pm

Acaila, your full-casting post reminds me that I want John Rapson as my Bamatabois! :D

Oh lord, Matty as Claquesous.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Return to “Les Misérables”