Dream Cast

Any discussion related to any production or staging of Boublil and Schönberg's Les Misérables.
deHavilland

Re: Dream Cast

Postby deHavilland » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:09 pm

deHavilland wrote:Bahahaha, I was just coming here to do exactly that and saw there was a new post and was like SHE BEAT ME TO IT.

deHavilland wrote:Jean Valjean: John Owen-Jones [circa 1999]
Javert: Philip Quast
Fantine: Ruthie Henshall
Cosette: Annalene Beechey
Marius: Martin Crewes
Éponine: Frances Ruffelle
Thenardier: Alun Armstrong
Mme. Thenardier: Jenny Galloway
Enjolras: Stephen R. Buntrock

Also:

Grantaire: Tom Zemon
Combeferre: David Bardsley
Feuilly: Jason Forbach
Joly: Charlie Hagerty
Montparnasse/Bahorel - Chris Zonneville
Bamatabois - John Rapson (and 2nd cover Javert)
Brujon: Andrew Varela (and 1st cover Javert)

Courfeyrac: Jonathan Winsby

Basically I'm just going to continue to post and update this over the next eighty years. Sorry for not being more sorry about it. ;D
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:33 am

Hey, nothing wrong with updating it! I am tempted to shove a few people around in mine actually.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

JD094

Postby JD094 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:53 pm

Valjean: Geronimo Rauch
Javert: Tam Mutu
Fantine: Sierra Boggess
Thernardier: Adam Linstead
Mme. Thernardier: Katy Secombe
Éponine: Samantha Barks
Marius: Jonny Purchase
Enjolras: Killian Donnelly
Cosette: Katie Hall

Yes, very heavily London-based from the past five years but those are the only casts I've seen plus 10th and 25th anniversaries and film! That cast would pack a rather large punch though, I'm sure.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:07 pm

An interesting selection! Any idea who you would have as Grantaire? (especially since you've bumped Adam up to Thenardier)
Abaisse Chief/Chef

JD094

Postby JD094 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:26 am

Urm, I'm not sure. The only two I can remember seeing are Carl Mullaney and Adam aside from George Blagden in the film. So it'll have to be Carl I think!

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:09 am

Heh, I had a funny feeling that would be your answer! His Grantaire seems to be pretty well regarded, though I haven't seen it. (With respect to Carl, I'm quite happy I haven't because I adore Adam's R so much!)
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Postby 23623 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:53 pm

This is a lovely thread. 8 pages of recommendations for me to go through!

So the following list is made by a newbie who have only listened to several cast albums and watched about 10 full show videos including the movie and who unfortunately can't even remember all the performers... It definitely will change in the future but I'll write it anyway because it will be fun to see how my tastes change as I know more about this fandom. :wink:

-- Valjean: I haven't seen many good VJs so maybe...Murray? (Rauch is a close second :wink: )
-- Javert: Quast by default (I think he's on almost every list). And STEVE BARTON! Has anyone mentioned him yet? I really really really want to see his...I mean his Javert's suicide scene.
-- Fantine: ...yet to be discovered. But I do think that Anne Hathaway's acting is quite impressive.
-- Marius: Gilles Buhlmann (OFC Marius) And Aris Sas, the original Alfred in Tanz der Vampire...if only he had played Marius!
-- Cosette: Annalene Beechey (Latest wonderful discovery! :D )
-- Éponine: Marianne Mille (OFC Éponine. Hard choice between her and CSR Ponine...)
-- Enjolras: Warlow without that stupid wig. :mrgreen:
-- Thenardiers: Alun Armstrong and Jenny Galloway (TAC). No contest.
-- Bishop: Colm. Blame it on the movie...
-- Little Cosette: Can I nominate that girl who keeps singing despite the fire alarm? ...so her name's Emma Hunton. Just watched the Les Mis Blooper video again to be sure. :P
-- Gavroche: Maybe OFC because I don't like most of English Gavs I've listened to.

I never realize that I'm actually a huge fan of OFC until I finish this list. :shock:
Last edited by 23623 on Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Revolution, but civilization

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:48 pm

_23623_ wrote:-- Enjolras: Warlow without that stupid wig. :mrgreen:

The rat on Warlow's head finds that remark offensive.

"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:46 pm

_23623_ wrote:This is a lovely thread. 8 pages of recommendations for me to go through!

So the following list is made by a newbie who have only listened to several cast albums and watched about 10 full show videos including the movie and who unfortunately can't even remember all the performers... It definitely will change in the future but I'll write it anyway because it will be fun to see how my tastes change as I know more about this fandom. :wink:

-- Valjean: I haven't seen many good VJs so maybe...Murray? (Rauch is a close second :wink: )
-- Javert: Quast by default (I think he's on almost every list). And STEVE BARTON! Has anyone mentioned him yet? I really really really want to see his...I mean his Javert's suicide scene.
-- Fantine: ...yet to be discovered. But I do think that Anne Hathaway's acting is quite impressive.
-- Marius: OFC Marius. And Aris Sas, the original Alfred in Tanz der Vampire...if only he had played Marius!
-- Cosette: Annalene Beechey (Latest wonderful discovery! :D )
-- Éponine: OFC Éponine. (Hard choice between her and CSR Ponine...)
-- Enjolras: Warlow without that stupid wig. :mrgreen:
-- Thenardiers: TAC guys. No contest.
-- Bishop: Colm. Blame it on the movie...
-- Little Cosette: Can I nominate that girl who keeps singing despite the fire alarm? :P
-- Gavroche: Maybe OFC because I don't like most of English Gavs I've listened to.

I never realize that I'm actually a huge fan of OFC until I finish this list. :shock:

Aris Sas has played Enjolras in case you weren't aware (also Gavroche apparently!). He's in the marvellously delightful Baden video (aka probably my favourite non-replica production)
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Postby 23623 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:36 am

deHavilland wrote:The rat on Warlow's head finds that remark offensive.

The author of this post finds that picture...*dies laughing* :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Acaila wrote:Aris Sas has played Enjolras in case you weren't aware (also Gavroche apparently!). He's in the marvellously delightful Baden video (aka probably my favourite non-replica production)

Gav-Aris and Enjolraris yes yes yes yes all of my yes! though imo nothing could compare to Aris Pontmercy!

It does take me forever to know he has played Gav and Enjy though. I somehow got a long-lasting impression that his name was Eric (which wasn't bad, actually, since that would mean he's my angel of music!) It was not until recently (that is, 3 years after I knew TdV) that I finally knew his name. But I was so disappointed that there wasn't much stuff on youtube or even a wikipedia page about him. Then it finally occurred to me last week that English is not the only language on wikipedia und mein Gott...jetzt ich weiß alles!!
The roles he's played are the strangest mixture I've ever seen. Dickon (I've been imagining this all the time!), Gavroche (who is about the same age as Mary Lennox), Enjolras, Alfred, Rudolf, Che (aka Spanish-speaking Lucheni) and Franz Joseph being on the same list is just...*dies laughing again*

Sorry for the digression aka how to fangirl someone without really knowing his name, but this cutie needs more attention! He's the only actor that can get me into fangirl mode at the mere mention of anything related. :P
And the Baden video is now the no.1 on my to-watch list. Just having Murray and Aris in the same video is already wonderful enough. :D

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:11 pm

Murray is awesome in it - Sassmaster Murray I call his Javert. Definitely one to livestream soon, there's loads of crazy goodness, and it's a good quality video.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Postby 23623 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:04 am

Acaila wrote:Murray is awesome in it - Sassmaster Murray I call his Javert. Definitely one to livestream soon, there's loads of crazy goodness, and it's a good quality video.

Oh really?! This is exactly how I imagine his Chauvert I mean his Javert. Can't wait to see his Falcon in the Stars. :wink:
Check the cast list again and I am surprised that the Percy in Baden SP is Valjean in this video. Poor Inspector Murray, he has trouble catching this guy in every show! :mrgreen:

A STREAMING OF BADEN LES MIS? Vielen Dank if this is going to happen! I'm definitely going to see it even if it means I have to stay up at 3:00 am.

Postby 23623 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:05 am

Sorry for digging this up. I've been thinking about a revised dream cast list for a while, as a celebration of my fourth year in this fandom. This time I'll do it in a different way. :wink:

Without specification, JVJ = Geronimo Rauch; Javert = Phillip Quast; Fantine = *cough* Anne Hathaway (hey, don't look at me that way...I'm serious!); Cosette = Annalene Beechey; Éponine = Kaho Shimada; Enjolras = Anthony Warlow; Thenardiers = Alun Armstrong and Jenny Galloway; Bishop = Colm Wilkinson
Sadly, my headcanon Marius never gets to play the role, but my inner fangirl really wants him to be on the list, so, Aris Sas, do some magic, de-age yourself, and be a good Gavroche! :P

Prologue: JVJ = Christopher Jacobsen. Because he's AMAZING.
Confrontation: Definitely OLC. My favorite Confrontation ever.
Waltz of Treachery: JVJ = Chris Murray. Because he's Chris Murray I mean, this is still my favorite part from the Berlin cast.
Red and Black: Marius = TAC Ball.
DYHTPS = OFC because this song should be sung in French.
ODM = Sale el Sol. My favorite version of ODM. Also, someone please teach the Spanish Enjy to throw up the gun and catch it (or teach Warlow Spanish, whichever is easier XD)
OMO = Mon Histoire because this song sounds incredibly beautiful in French.
ALFOR: Marius = Peter Lockyer. <3
Can I have Chris Murray's Javert for the part where Valjean lets Javert go from the barricade?
BHH: JVJ = Olegg Vynnyk
Suicide: This I really can't decide. Quast or Miguel del Arco from 1993 Spanish cast. I still think Quast is the best because there's videos, but the other guy managed to make me cry with only an audio. Actually he's my second favorite Javert so he needs to be in my dream cast, by any means.
ECAET: Marius = Tom Lucas.
Epilogue: Fantine = Ruthie.

Oh, and I Saw Him Once exists in my dream cast. So does "La Faute a Voltaire".

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:15 pm

You taking it track by track reminds me I've never got round to making The Ultimate Les Mis Mix Tape. I did one years ago in school based on the English language recordings, but now with all the "souvenirs" I have, it would surely be way better!
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Morbidmuch_

Postby Morbidmuch_ » Thu May 11, 2017 6:51 pm

This was actually kind of scary. I don't like having to commit to just one performer for a character, most of these I have at least one or two more who I also really like. Except, funnily enough, Mme Thenardier. Galloway all the way!

Valjean: Jonathan Williams
Javert: Jeremy Secomb
Fantine: Lucy O'Byrne
Marius: I haven't found a Marius I really love yet. But I did enjoy Paul Wilkins' performance a lot, so he can be on here for now.
Éponine: Samantha Barks
Cosette: Zoë Doano
Thenardier: David Langham
Mme Thenardier: Jenny Galloway
Enjolras: Chris Cowley
Grantaire: Hadley Fraser
Lamarque est mort [disco dances patriotically]

Return to “Les Misérables”