2012 Toronto Production

Any discussion related to any production or staging of Boublil and Schönberg's Les Misérables.
deHavilland

Re: 2012 Toronto Production

Postby deHavilland » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:57 am

Lovingly borrowing this image from Tumblr to point out two things:

1 - Mark's wig looking much better than it used to and with a queue no less - though you can't see it at this angle - and 2 - Chris Zonneville in his Bahorel waistcoat in the top right with an "oh, we have to hold hands now?" face. So much love.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:00 am

Awww he looks rather cute actually! I look forward to more pics when the brochure comes out, even if it's the grotty wig. But no, he can definitely pass the cuteness test (a highly important part of an Enjolras' work)
And yes, that is such a Bahorel waistcoat :lol:
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:03 am

There's better pictures from the photoset to show off Mark's lovely wig, but this was the only one that had a delightfully snit-faced Zonneville.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:05 am

Less snit-facing, more cute-facing! :D

EDIT: Derp, helps if I notice the link!
Abaisse Chief/Chef

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:13 am

The OP has a couple other photosets from the night too, all from the same curtain call, but you can see where Ramin takes his second solo bow because she got pics of that, too. Did JOJ do a second bow? I feel like I need to go rewatch something that has a curtain call on it, but I don't think he did and if JOJ didn't do it, you don't get to, Ramin.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:07 am

Yeah, no solo second bows that I've ever seen. That's definite diva promoting in an ensemble show. Harrumph!

Scrolling through this page to reply, that Zonny face really is rather amusing :D
Abaisse Chief/Chef

JVJ10642

Postby JVJ10642 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:33 pm

Saw the Full Show Thursday and 2nd acts Friday and Sat.Mat. Reviews to follow...
Ramin Brings it and deserves a 2nd bow(and I don't give those away easily)
Run don't walk to see this cast!

Flynn

Postby Flynn » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:05 pm

Acaila wrote:Yeah, no solo second bows that I've ever seen. That's definite diva promoting in an ensemble show. Harrumph!

I don't think Les Mis really qualifies as an "ensemble show", given that it does have clearly defined leads and supporting roles with varying levels of importance and stage time.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:31 pm

Actually, in terms of stage time, the ensemble are on more than most of the principals.

Officially, the three leading roles are Valjean, Javert and Fantine. That is *official*, and is apparently done so that they're the only ones they have to pay extra. Javert is onstage for something like 37 minutes of the show. Fantine is on for less than that (officially I believe she doesn't have to be a bullet boy in act 2, it's just tradition and for something to do, though that may have changed).

Compare that with the rest of the cast who are onstage practically throughout in a myriad of different roles. And even those who are principals usually have ensemble tracks, so for example Enjolras is also a convict, a labourer, a factory worker, the captain, a judge, and sometimes, though not always, a drinker at the inn, then the other servant at the wedding.

As for clearly defined, while I would say it's generally agreed who is a principal and who is in the ensemble, I've seen just this week Gavroche mentioned as a principal by some people despite him not traditionally being classed as such. Even Grantaire sometimes gets that. Though in a show where basically everyone has a recogniseable named part with at least a solo line, it's harder to delineate such things, as compared to shows where you are cast as one of four "Ballet Dancers" or "Gaga Girls".

I chose to comment on it being an ensemble show, because that is precisely how I've heard it described by notable performers from the West End production. That is how it is apparently treated and that is certainly how critics have described it.

Indeed, I think devaluing the ensemble goes against the spirit of the show. It's Les Misérables, not Un Miserable after all.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:55 pm

Pictures have happened.

I think the ones with Perry and Sam, especially the "I didn't see you there" one are perfectly lovely, and I really like the look of the one with Cliffy in the sewers. Mark's wig is... well.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:03 pm

Heh, Ramin's look is so based off of Jackman! Convict anyway, the barricade looks like JOJ's hair, not quite convinced on that :?
I find it amusing that Earl looks younger than he did when I last saw him do the show about three and a half years ago :D The wigs over here always used to age him somehow!
I really like the second Perry and Sam one actually, in the garden. Purty lighting!
I don't think those are terribly flattering choices generally for Mark (he looks ginger in one!) Which wig is that?
Abaisse Chief/Chef

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:17 pm

It actually looks like the "hair-pushed-back-Act-II" wig. So I guess they did the pictures and then were like, "let's not use that crap wig" and went with the "really-terrible-hair-in-face-Act-I" wig and then went, "nope, let's go back to that first one, that's even worse."

Yeah, I definitely think that the shaved head is a result of the movie, but Ramin's not the first for that. They had that stupid page boy bob wig for the US Tour up until the movie happened, and then Peter Lockyer went with the Jackman look.

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:06 pm

Toronto production photos?! ME GUSTA! Although, well, bww, hi-res starts with at least 1000xwhateva pixels. Poor Mark, looks awful. Hooray for Ramin's real beard this time! Like his con look alot better here, although that red jacket after release still gives me historical inaccuracy cramps. And Earl...looks...so different this time?! Must be the wig. Wish there would be more of that "marvelous, awesome, breathtakingtm" scenery to behold-but I moan that with every photo set of the anniversary production.

Any changes made to the production since first preview?
Resident Les Miz prop expert and collector
Non licet omnibus adire Corinthum
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:14 pm

Not seeing it again until opening tomorrow night, but as far as I've heard from people on it/who've seen it, not really. Not beyond Mark's wig, but I can let you know after tomorrow night's performance if I notice anything different!

They've had one technical issue so far, though, which is that the barricade came off its track by a couple inches. Not enough that anyone in the audience would have noticed during the performance, but enough that during intermission they ran it back and forth along its tracks a couple times to make sure that it wasn't going to come out any further and cause an actual problem.

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:54 pm

I love Sam's cloak and hair and dress. Thoroughly approve this Cosette costuming. It's really well done and suits her specifically.
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

Return to “Les Misérables”