2012 Toronto Production

Any discussion related to any production or staging of Boublil and Schönberg's Les Misérables.
Auf die Barrikaden

Re: 2012 Toronto Production

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:17 am

Looking forward to read about the new stuff! (And for further..."types of information" about the production *cough*)
Resident Les Miz prop expert and collector
Non licet omnibus adire Corinthum
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:53 am

Hehe, subtle, very subtle ;)
(Me too!)
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:13 pm

I hope the new whatever is better than the new song in Miss Saigon. They can't have screwed up both shows at once, right? (right? someone comfort me, even with lies.)
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:05 pm

I'll include this detail in my proper review, but in response to concerns raised specifically in this thread:

They did not move I Dreamed a Dream. Well, actually, they did move it. And then Cameron Mackintosh came to today's dress rehearsal and told them to put it back. So as of this afternoon, everything plays at as normal with no new material in the ATEOTD/IDAD/Lovely Ladies area. (Though it was written and intended for performance. Evidently CamMack did not agree.)

There seemed to be a couple further updated orchestrations, though I'm really crap at identifying that kind of thing. The only major libretto-related difference was that they've swapped out Gavroche's entire "These are my people, here's my patch" spiel for the movie version with "everyone's equal when they're dead!"

(Also, Cliff says that CamMack told them to drop the corn-holing out of Master of the House because it was "taking things too far.")

However: there were some other changes, off the top of my head I can think of two big blocking things that were interesting and different. See coming review for more details.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:14 am

Oooh interesting! Cammack comes through for us!
I don't mind the Gavroche change actually, I thought the new lyrics there were quite decent.
On tenterhooks for the full review!
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:15 am

Some other points about the first preview: http://lesmistoronto.tumblr.com/post/62 ... -few-quick

Not exactly sure how Gavroche's introduction works now? "Ow do you do, my name's Gavroche" is exchanged or is the movie verse (which is brilliant IMO) just added to that?
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:39 pm

Now it's:

"How do you do, my name's Gavroche!
These are my people, here's my patch.
Not much to look at, nothing posh.
Nothing that you'd call up to scratch.
This is the land that fought for liberty,
Now when we fight, we fight for bread.
Here is the thing about equality,
Everyone's equal when they're dead.
Take your place, take your chance,
Vive la France, vive la France!"

They also outsourced Fantine's "come on, Captain" lines to two other whores, "Come on, Captain, did you wear your shoes?" being the changed first line and the "Don't it make a change to have a girl who can't refuse?" remaining the same. Then Fantine sings the rest of it.

And some of the lines from the Marius-and-Enjolras bits of Look Down were also outsourced to other students, since they had most of them onstage during Look Down, building a soap box platform for Enjolras and Marius to preach upon. I wasn't expecting the change, so I didn't take note of who sang what, and it's too hard to tell on the audio, but I'll pay more attention next time. It was definitely some combination of primarily Combeferre and Courfeyrac.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

JVJ10642

Postby JVJ10642 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:19 pm

Going this Thursday night will Ramin be Out? :?:

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:35 pm

Answered this question for you on the other board. Ramin should be in this Thursday, apparently.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:38 pm

Probably because it's still in previews. A lot of leads that have alternates don't take days off in previews apparently (am hearing the same about Killian in The Commitments at the moment)
Abaisse Chief/Chef

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:38 pm

What I said on the other board, lol. ;)

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:50 pm

Like I check every thread before replying :P

Do we have an ETA on your review?
Abaisse Chief/Chef

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:16 pm

When you stop distracting me with your links to hiatused traders who have Leigh Martha Klinger starring as Ich in Rebecca or Mary in Rudolf.

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:30 am

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:45 pm

An important update! (Or at least, important to me because I care deeply about these things.)

Mark Uhre has a new wig! It's blonde and styled and has a ponytail!

AND DOESN'T LOOK LIKE A HORRIBLE BOWL CUT LIKE THE LAST ONE DID. My excitement really knows no bounds.

Return to “Les Misérables”