2012 Toronto Production

Any discussion related to any production or staging of Boublil and Schönberg's Les Misérables.
deHavilland

Re: 2012 Toronto Production

Postby deHavilland » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:05 am

Actually, it was always booked through to February 2nd. They just announced it as an extension to make it look like it's doing really well and that people should definitely buy tickets. It's just a marketing ploy, same as saying that it was "going to close December 22nd" was only so that people bought their tickets sooner rather than later and scrambled to make sure they saw it.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:01 pm

So Colm freakin Wilkinson is going to return to the show and NOONE HERE CARES TO POST IT??? I'm really disappointed. I need the info...don't leave us folks out here in the dark.
Resident Les Miz prop expert and collector
Non licet omnibus adire Corinthum
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:27 pm

Oh my goodness, did nobody seriously mention that? Woops, epic fail!

Anyway, I think you'll be in luck for details once Geronimo sees this :D
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:06 pm

Auf die Barrikaden wrote:So Colm freakin Wilkinson is going to return to the show and NOONE HERE CARES TO POST IT??? I'm really disappointed. I need the info...don't leave us folks out here in the dark.

Haha, I posted about it in the Cafe rather than here. Yes, he's going to be playing the Bishop in a charity performance on January 11th. I already have my ticket in hand! :D

http://read.thestar.com/?origref=#!/art ... to-les-miz
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:01 pm

Since Acaila has actually asked me about it twice, now, I think I'll just post it here for record-keeping's sake to say that in the 2013/2014 Toronto production, they added the Bishop to the Finale. Yes, a la the film version.

During the Finale, everything plays out as you would expect, Fantine and Éponine still sing their lines, the entire ensemble (minus Javert) come out for the DYHTPS reprise, but then they part down the middle and the Bishop walks between them downstage to greet Valjean and welcome him to Heaven. It's a change that I'm surprised hasn't made its way into the show sooner, honestly. (Though it does mean that when Andrew Love is covering Javert and John Rapson is covering the Bishop, there is no Grantaire in the Finale which sort of makes me sad.)

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:10 pm

I'm sorry I forgot :oops:
But I'm still excited about Colm being in the finale! :)
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:30 pm

So that's what the lucky TOs gonna see tonight: http://instagram.com/p/jAFnG7ju_8/#
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:24 pm

I'm pretty confident that Rachel wasn't supposed to take a photo and post it on the internet, but damn, I'm excited. I hope they let him sing Bring Him Home after the curtain call or something. It's kind of a crime not to do something additional at the end with him.

(And we're Torontonians, not TOs. ;) )

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:55 pm

I was short on "o"s when I posted.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:49 pm

Oh, it would be great to have a special encore. Finale, curtain call, special bow, little speech from someone, Bring Him Home. Ramin can even duet with him on it if they want.

There's another pic I saw floating about tumblr that looks a little more official just in terms of being higher quality at least.
Is that John Rapson on the right hand side looking rather pleased?
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Prisoner 9430

Postby Prisoner 9430 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:59 am

If anyone happens to come across an audio of the show, or even just the Bishop scenes+encore, I will give/do anything for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHPu6dQzMJU

Even if the encore is just something like this it would be divine. :P

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:28 am

Really? You'll give anything for it?

Colm Wilkinson's Guest Appearance Sum Up:

Colm played the Bishop and was amazing. As one would expect from Colm, when you add in all the good feelings you walk into the theatre with expecting to see him play the Bishop. He probably could have been totally off-key, off-time and singing Who Am I? instead of the proper Bishop lines and he'd still be amazing.

So, as I said before, they added a Bishop moment to the Finale, so that he greets Valjean and invites him to join the rest of the cast in the line-up for the DYHTPS reprise. From where I was sitting and from the way he kept wiping at his eyes, I think Colm was crying as he sang along with the finale and it was beautiful.

The curtain call played out as normal, but after Ramin took his bow, he held a finger to his lips and made a little "hmm, aren't we forgetting something?" face and then dramatically gestured to the side and Colm came out for his very, very appreciative ovation. Then he did a very nice speech about what Les Mis is all about and that if there's anything the audience should take away from the evening's charity performance, it's the idea that "tomorrow comes." Because while that performance was for the benefit of a couple of charities hand-picked by Colm, they need continued support, not just one night's gala of it. He said some lovely, appreciative things about Ramin and then Ramin did a whole song and dance number about trying to convince Colm to sing. (Including a moment where he said "we're very alike, you and I. You're Irish, I'm Iranian. Where we come from, a night like this requires celebration! A little song and dance! And I don't know about you, but I don't think I can dance -- " at which point Colm did a jig and it was pretty great.)

And, of course, we ended the evening on a beautiful Bring Him Home duet between Colm and Ramin, with the entire cast - swings included. They let them join the ensemble for a couple of scenes so that EVERYONE could share the stage with Colm - standing upstage, taking in the performance. It was just as beautiful to watch Colm singing Bring Him Home as it was to see how appreciative of it the cast was. You can tell which cast members really get it and who it hits home for.

Prisoner 9430

Postby Prisoner 9430 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:10 am

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:31 am

I'm so thrilled that video documentation of Jon Winsby getting excited over Colm exists. Because that was a beautiful, beautiful thing.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:10 pm

Oh Colm <3
And I love how special the cast found it too. So many warm fuzzies!
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Return to “Les Misérables”