2012 Toronto Production

Any discussion related to any production or staging of Boublil and Schönberg's Les Misérables.
[type your name]

2012 Toronto Production

Postby [type your name] » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:57 pm

http://www.regardencoulisse.com/les-miserables-une-nouvelle-production-canadienne-en-2012/

Translated to the best of my abilities:

Celebrating the 25th anniversary of the musical Les Misérables by Alain Boublil and Claude-Michel Schönberg, a brand new canadian production will be presented from next July a the Royal Alexandra Theatre in Toronto.

The last visit from Les Misérables in Toronto goes back to 2005, when a north-american tour had stopped in the Queen City. This time around, it won't be a tour but a new production with a brand new staging and new sets based on paintings by Victor Hugo, the famous author of novel Les Misérables, on which the musical is based. This new edition will be entitled to an all-Canadian cast.

The 25th anniversary edition of Les Misérables, produced by Cameron Mackintosh, has already been hailed by critics and sold out in United Kingdom, Spain and throughout the United States. Cameron Mackintosh said he's been surprised by the public reaction to this new adaption, which received nothing but praise so far. ''The success of this production has exceeded all my expectations. It's been acclaimed and adopted both by fans of ''Les Miz'' and by all those new audiences everywhere we go'', has he declared in a press release.

He's keeping his eyes wide open for new canadian talents and hopes to find gems for this production. It was whispered that he would like to have in his ranks no other than the Canadian Justin Bieber...

The ''master'' of musical theatre in Toronto, David Mirvish, whose company Mirvish Productions will present the play, is very happy to put on this revised version that will be presented exactly 22 years after the very fist canadian version... which was held on March 5th, 1989, at the same theatre.

Sorry if a big part of this is only information that everyone already knows... and as for Justin Bieber... I hope it was a joke.

LesMisPhangirl

Re: 2012 Toronto Production

Postby LesMisPhangirl » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:52 am

Even though I don't live near Toronto { I don't even live in Canada; I live in the US } I hope for the sake of Canadian Mizzies that the Justin Bieber thing is a joke.
Not active on here much, lurking only when necessary, for reasons most don't need to know. Contact info's on my profile. I might be active again later. I don't know. Until then lovelies!

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:07 am

I mentioned the Bieber thing to my siblings and said that maybe Bieber can pull off Gavroche. My siblings said no, Bieber's voice is more for Cosette....as a child.

This better be a joke.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:53 am

Looks like it may not be happening this year: Les Misérables opening delayed.

They're trying to put it together really quick, but most of the musical talent is already booked with Stratford, Shaw, going to NY with Jesus Christ Superstar, or in a couple other things. The available pool for a summer opening is really shallow. If they are counting on Stratford people, that season ends in October, meaning it'd be November at the earliest to get it off the ground in that case.

Not sure what's completely up, as the last part of that article rather hints at Cammack screwing things up, but it looks like it may be winter 2012-13 if it indeed happens.
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

MmeFeuilly

Postby MmeFeuilly » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:23 pm

Finally, something in my neck of the woods. :wink:
In Ontario, usually the acting pool is taken up by Niagra, Toronto, and Stratford. I don't think that one cast of Jesus Christ Supterstar will take the entire pool. Chess just opened last month in Toronto, and Lion King was in Niagra this summer.
There are tons of theatres all of southern Ontario, I mean, even Ingersoll has one. So I think their talent pool is a little bigger here then they think.
But, Camelot was just in Stratford, and Romeo and Juliet is playing in Toronto, so really, they've a huge amount of actors being used already.
I know that with the last cast having Micheal Burgess and such, it'll be hard to match that. My mum says he [Burgess] had one of the best, and purest voices she'd ever heard when she went and saw him. (I wasn't even alive yet.) So I don't know if they even *can* match the talent they want to.
I really don't want them to not play it. I would even be alright with Bieber being in it as long as I could go and see it. But, they might not. :(
I just want an official answer, if they will or not.
I Live On Constellation Street

Patria

Postby Patria » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:48 pm

Unfortunately the Bieber thing is not a joke. It's all over the place. HOWEVER, as far as I know he hasn't accepted or turned down the part yet. And...well, I guess there's a small chance he'll turn out to have more classical ability than we think.

...maybe. :(
"Would you like my hat?"

Awesome icon by Hannah.

Miz Thierry

Postby Miz Thierry » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:35 am

Not that it is likely to occur but in interviews Ramin Karimloo has intimated that he wouldn't be opposed to performing in Toronto and he certainly has the experience in Les Mis to say nothing of talent and charisma to make it a production to remember. It would be an amazing opportunity for those of us who live in this area to see him perform on this side of the pond. :D

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:36 pm

*push* This is happening and Ramin will return to the role of Jean Valjean: http://toronto.broadwayworld.com/articl ... S-20130213

Remarkable that it is exactly where he fell in love with musicals, and it was Colm playing the Phantom. And now Ramin starred in exactly the two roles Colm is loved for.
Resident Les Miz prop expert and collector
Non licet omnibus adire Corinthum
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

torontocolm

Postby torontocolm » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:05 am

HOORAY!!!! You bet I'll be seeing this!!!! Ramin in Toronto!!! Yay!

Miz Thierry

Postby Miz Thierry » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:28 am

Looking forward to the Toronto production fall of 2013. Last year was quite the tease but as we now have a cast list I have faith that this fall we will truly hear the people sing. :D

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Tue May 07, 2013 10:49 am

Resident Les Miz prop expert and collector
Non licet omnibus adire Corinthum
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

Flynn

Postby Flynn » Tue May 07, 2013 11:24 am

I really wish they'd stop casting 30-year-olds as Valjean.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Tue May 07, 2013 4:13 pm

My favourite is 31 and another of my top 3 was in his 20s, I am more than happy with it :)

That's really interesting though if Earl is going across! Geronimo was just commenting the other day that it's strange Javert and Marius haven't been announced yet, but I would assume Earl would probably require more paperwork than your average casting since he's coming in from abroad.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Tue May 07, 2013 4:19 pm

As long as they can pull off the role I don't mind young Valjeans and Javerts but it kinda annoys me when they're still of the age where they could easily play a barricade boy and once they've played Valjean or Javert they're stuck in older roles.
"Cure your Cholera with boiled water and bananas"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Tue May 07, 2013 4:25 pm

In older roles within the show or in general casting?
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Return to “Les Misérables”