The Abaisse Performance Rubric

Any discussion related to any production or staging of Boublil and Schönberg's Les Misérables.
deHavilland

The Abaisse Performance Rubric

Postby deHavilland » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:56 pm

I've always wanted to do a series of posts that describe the various performers in the show over the years to help people pinpoint actors that they think they'll like and boots that contain these performers so that they can experience them.

So, looking for "rating" suggestions we can use to build an Abaisse-specific rubric to help scale the performers. I do not mean things like "ability to hit the high notes" or "looks appropriate for the part" or anything that specifically denigrates someone's skill as a performer. I'm looking for things like:

Cosette -- confidence [1 - 10]
1 being a shrinking violet Cosette, 10 being a really confident one. Someone like Katie Hall, for example, would skew more towards the confident, Annalene Beechy might sit somewhere in the middle.

Valjean -- aggression [1 - 10]
Alexander Gemignani was a particularly non-violent Valjean. Ramin Karimloo and John Owen-Jones swing a lot more aggressive.

Then you could in theory look at the grid and say "I like my Valjeans to be really rough-and-tumble. Oh: I will probably like Ramin Karimloo." "I'm not a big fan of Cosettes who seem really forward, they should be kind of subdued. Lauren Wiley might be a new favorite for me."

What sort of qualities do you look for (or notice!) in portrayals of specific characters that you think might be useful in forming a rubric to categorize different performances?
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Morbidmuch_

Re: The Abaisse Performance Rubric

Postby Morbidmuch_ » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:25 pm

I've been thinking some and I think I have a few (lol, like 2) characters to contribute as of now, but I'm a bit confused of how we should write this up, to make it as easy to follow as possible. Should we do like character + performer and then add a bunch of traits we associate with that portrayal with the rating from 1-10?
Lamarque est mort [disco dances patriotically]

deHavilland

Re: The Abaisse Performance Rubric

Postby deHavilland » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:29 pm

I'm going to code a little something with a slider so that you can slide along 1 - 10 and when you stop at any given number, a list of performers who sit at that level will pop up. And then maybe make it filterable so you can apply multiple settings and we'll see what happens.

For now, we can just post them here like you've suggested. I think if we use extant performances to come up with the traits, it might be easier to think of things with "Such-and-such Javert is really *this* and such-and-such Javert is the opposite" instead of just "well, metaphorically, Javert could be rated on *this.*"
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Return to “Les Misérables”