West End Cast - 2017/2018

Any discussion related to any production or staging of Boublil and Schönberg's Les Misérables.
Morbidmuch_

Re: West End Cast - 2017/2018

Postby Morbidmuch_ » Fri May 04, 2018 1:28 pm

Lamarque est mort [disco dances patriotically]

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Fri May 04, 2018 8:46 pm

Sarah Lark is coming back! Yay!
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

loyaulte_me_lie

Postby loyaulte_me_lie » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:54 pm

Extremely late considering the fact the new cast is going to start soon, but I saw this cast relatively early on the run, and I think that they have been my favourite cast to date (with some exceptions). It's worth, however, bearing in mind that I'm a younger fan who's only been seeing the West End casts since 2009. My dad (who is also a lifelong fan) said that for him, Killian was the second best Valjean he's ever seen (after Colm Wilkinson) and for me I had to agree; I don't know enough about voices etc, but I mark a good performance by how well they become the character, and for me, Killian was Valjean, he inhabited the role very gracefully. I also thought it was very interesting how soft and gentle his voice could be, because a personal issue I've had with some Valjeans is that their voices have been very sharp for the whole performance, which for me, doesn't work with Valjean's character post-Prologue.

Character-wise, I also adored Hyoie O'Grady's Enjolras, partly because looks-wise, he fits exactly how I see the character in my head. Again, I have the same niggling issues with Enjolras' voice as I do Valjean's - and for me, I found Hyoie's to fit the role again, because a la the Brick, I see the character as mostly quite quiet and observant, except when he's roused to the heights of revolutionary oratory. Also, I'm not sure if it only happened my night, but did anyone else see in the Final Battle, when Enjolras went off after the flag, and Grantaire screamed and followed him? I don't recall that happening in other casts I've seen, but it felt very moving to me, since it again links back to the brick with them dying together. It also helps that I'm a hopeless E/R fan ha!

Another little detail I noticed as being different since I saw it last was that Bamabatois gets a lot more physical with Fantine - actually dragging her around instead of just looming, which I found interesting, as it makes her response a lot more proportionate?

Agree with Karis Jack being a little 1D, but it could also come across as Éponine being somewhat childlike sometimes, which is a reading I could get behind? I don't know about any of you?

Return to “Les Misérables”