Les Misérables 2017 Swedish Production

Any discussion related to any production or staging of Boublil and Schönberg's Les Misérables.
Morbidmuch_

Les Misérables 2017 Swedish Production

Postby Morbidmuch_ » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:21 pm

For those interested, here is my review of the Swedish Les Mis production. :)

First, it was really weird seeing Les Mis in Swedish. Since I pretty much know the entire show by heart, I found it difficult sometimes not to think the lyrics in English as they were sung. :lol:

Philip Jalmelid as Javert was the true star of the show, in my opinion. I got a lot of Quast vibes from him, which is always a good thing, and he practically stole every scene he was in.

Tord Hansson was understudying as Valjean, and I enjoyed his performance. One thing that unfortunately distracted me quite a lot (and I feel really mean for saying it), but he's pretty short. He was only a couple of inches taller than Emmi Christensson (Cosette) who is 5'4”. The scenes that this was distracting was in the scenes with only Valjean and Javert, since Philip is very tall, and also the Sewers scene. The guy playing Marius was ridiculously tall. Watching Valjean carry Marius over his shoulder became almost comical, since Marius' feet were almost touching the floor.

Anna-Hanna Rosengren (Fantine), Emmi Christensson (Cosette), Hanna Holmgren (Éponine) and Petter Snive (Enjolras) were all excellent. Really, really good. I basically cried all through I dreamed a dream, Fantine's Death, and A little fall of Rain.

Kalle Malmberg as Marius was very good. He gave a very balanced performance, if that makes sense, and his Empty chairs was beautiful. Opposite from Valjean, I sometimes got distracted by how tall he was, he literally towered over everyone else :lol:

The ensemble overall was really great, with the exception of the Lovely Ladies scene. They didn't have that sassy energy that I love so much about that scene. There was also dancing, which I though was weird. As in, choreographed dancing. Babet was played by a woman, which was different but not unpleasant. I had soo much trouble distinguishing the barricade boys, because the costume designs were of course different from what I'm used to seeing. Grantaire and Gavroche had plenty of very lovely moments, including Grantaire pulling the dying Gavroche back underneath the barricade (since there's no revolve in this production). On the other hand, the interaction between Grantaire and Enjolras was pretty much non existent. Too much interaction generally bothers me but it should be there, it's such a vital part of Grantaire's character, but even when I was looking for it I couldn't see any.

At the part where Enjolras sends the women away they had added the reprise of Drink with me (which I believe was a part of the original show?). This was great, because we got some touching barricade boy interaction before all hell broke loose.

The lack of revolve made for some interesting blocking and set choices. I won't list them all, but the first thing was that after characters died they kind of just stood up and walked off the stage (Kind of like in the O2 concert). Also, the death of the barricade boys was a lot different, so instead of slow motion dying the barricade they all rushed to the front of the stage where they were shot and died. They then laid there until Empty chairs, when the one by one stood up and walked back and off stage. Since they were lying there during Dog eats dog, it was them that Thenardier robbed of their belongings (which made me very uneasy). This however meant that during Turning, the women were actually acting and reacting to finding their men dead, and I really liked that. We had really good seats, so it was very easy to see all the emotions on their faces.

I have so many more things to say, but this is really long so I'm just gonna stop here :lol: if there's anything else you'd like to know, just ask. :)
I took some pictures of the costume designs and the stage which I'll try to insert here as well.
Lamarque est mort [disco dances patriotically]

Morbidmuch_

Re: Les Misérables 2017 Swedish Production

Postby Morbidmuch_ » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:29 pm

Please excuse the lousy camera work :lol:
Attachments
Cosette.jpg
Emmi Christensson as Cosette
Cosette.jpg (43.54 KiB) Viewed 176 times
Fantine.jpg
Not crazy about that costume though
Fantine.jpg (41.03 KiB) Viewed 176 times
Stage.jpg
A model of the stage design
Stage.jpg (131.55 KiB) Viewed 176 times

Postby 23623 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:48 pm

This is so interesting. Thank you for the review and the photos, Morbidmuch!

Forgive me for saying this but Emmi's makeup is really awful. :( She looks like a boring old lady (even older than Fantine seriously) with that wig. I'd be very happy if they had given her a blond wig like the one she had when she was Christine in London. Normally I prefer brunette Cosettes but Emmi looks really gorgeous as a blonde.

Morbidmuch_ wrote:Philip Jalmelid as Javert was the true star of the show, in my opinion. I got a lot of Quast vibes from him, which is always a good thing, and he practically stole every scene he was in.

Quast vibes. Wow. I wish I could have seen how good he was! :shock:

Tord Hansson was understudying as Valjean, and I enjoyed his performance. One thing that unfortunately distracted me quite a lot (and I feel really mean for saying it), but he's pretty short. He was only a couple of inches taller than Emmi Christensson (Cosette) who is 5'4”. The scenes that this was distracting was in the scenes with only Valjean and Javert, since Philip is very tall, and also the Sewers scene. The guy playing Marius was ridiculously tall. Watching Valjean carry Marius over his shoulder became almost comical, since Marius' feet were almost touching the floor.

LOOOL. Smol Valjean trying to carry tall Marius. :lol: :lol: This never fails to make me laugh.

Grantaire and Gavroche had plenty of very lovely moments, including Grantaire pulling the dying Gavroche back underneath the barricade (since there's no revolve in this production).
Also, the death of the barricade boys was a lot different, so instead of slow motion dying the barricade they all rushed to the front of the stage where they were shot and died. They then laid there until Empty chairs, when the one by one stood up and walked back and off stage.

This makes me so curious about the final battle aftermath! Was Gavroche among the bodies after everyone died? (I assume he wasn't since they got him back before the final battle?) Was Enjolras' death any special? How did Valjean and Javert react when seeing the dead students?

Since they were lying there during Dog eats dog, it was them that Thenardier robbed of their belongings (which made me very uneasy). This however meant that during Turning, the women were actually acting and reacting to finding their men dead, and I really liked that. We had really good seats, so it was very easy to see all the emotions on their faces.

Thenardier STOP.
I've seen videos where the Turning women actually go to find the bodies of the students and I like this idea too!
Revolution, but civilization

Morbidmuch_

Postby Morbidmuch_ » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:02 pm

23623 wrote:This makes me so curious about the final battle aftermath! Was Gavroche among the bodies after everyone died? (I assume he wasn't since they got him back before the final battle?) Was Enjolras' death any special? How did Valjean and Javert react when seeing the dead students?

After Gavroche died, there was a moment of stillness and then he literally stood up and walked off the stage (just like Fantine and Éponine also did), so his body wasn't with the others. Enjolras stepped up to the front of the stage first, followed by the rest of the barricade boys. They all were shot about the same time, but had all fallen before Enjolras was shot and died. I liked that this set his death apart, but it was no hanging upside down from the barricade. It was a small cast of barricade boys, there were only eight of them (including Marius).

Both Valjean and Javert appeared shocked, Valjean more so than Javert (and there was no smug-Javert, thank god).

It was quite distracting though to have the barricade boys still lying dead during Javert's suicide (in which he shot himself instead off jumping off the bridge), so I'm still on the fence on how I liked that staging.

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:49 pm

Oh wow, this was fascinating to read. Some rather neat ideas... I liked the thought of the barricade boys still lying dead onstage for "Turning" and then getting up for "Empty Chairs." Though yeah, having them still be there for "Javert's Suicide" is a bit odd. (Credit to the actors for being able to lie still for that long, though! And yeah, given that staging, I'm glad they didn't make Enjolras hang upside-down in this case.)

And *dies laughing at the mental image of short Valjean carrying v. tall Marius* :lol:

Morbidmuch_

Postby Morbidmuch_ » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:28 pm

Prisoner 24653 wrote:Oh wow, this was fascinating to read. Some rather neat ideas... I liked the thought of the barricade boys still lying dead onstage for "Turning" and then getting up for "Empty Chairs." Though yeah, having them still be there for "Javert's Suicide" is a bit odd. (Credit to the actors for being able to lie still for that long, though! And yeah, given that staging, I'm glad they didn't make Enjolras hang upside-down in this case.)

And *dies laughing at the mental image of short Valjean carrying v. tall Marius* :lol:

It was <b>very</b> powerful to have the women actually finding and reacting do the barricade boys during Turning. I've always loved that song, but I know some people don't because of the disconnect between the women and the barricade boys. There was no disconnect there, I can tell you; each of the women acted sooo well I almost started crying.

Postby 23623 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:14 pm

Revolution, but civilization

Morbidmuch_

Postby Morbidmuch_ » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:10 pm

Hadn't seen this, thanks for sharing!

Return to “Les Misérables”