Appreciating Charles Dickens

Discussion on any 19th century written works by authors other than Hugo.
MusicalTwin

Appreciating Charles Dickens

Postby MusicalTwin » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:27 pm

Since I've stumbled across his name a couple of times now here I figured why not devote him a whole topic?! 8)

If I dare say so: he's a genious writer just like Hugo! I love so many of his works, especially Oliver Twist and Nicholas Nickleby, and I'm always eager to discuss about it! :D

So... who's with me? :wink: Let's discuss his works and the various broadness of adaptations! *dances in anticipation*
~*Last' inn tegitha!*~
(Listen, your instinct will lead you!)

~*What makes us special makes us strong!*~

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:50 pm

Oliver Twist---socially relevant work number 2 that also drives my writing. :D
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

MusicalTwin

Postby MusicalTwin » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:12 pm

Great! *thumbs up* Who're your favourite characters and which adaptions have you seen so far?

It might not be a suprise that I like Nancy best of all the Oliver Twist characters. *g* Tragic women... oh my (I seem to have a soft spot for them). :lol:
As for adaptions I think it's easier to say which I haven't seen than which I have. Well, okay maybe it's about half of those that exist that I've seen so far. I can't completely recount by heart each and every one of them but if you name one, I'll be able to tell whether I've watched it. This starts with the black and white version from the early 20th century, over Oliver! the musical (of course! *lol*), up to Roman Polanski's 2005 movie version of it. Nope, I haven't seen the whole BBC production from 2007 yet but I'm planning to as soon as I can get my hands on it. I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to like it though. I'm a bit sceptic about it.
My most favourite adaptation of all, though is the 1999 TV miniseries! Maybe that's to a huge part because I adore the Nancy so much, but apart from her it's also a wonderful production in general. I think I've posted a link somewhere in the "what book(s) do you read?" topic. *hehe*
~*Last' inn tegitha!*~

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:15 pm

I saw a local production of it once. And my mom did some art direction on a movie production of Oliver. But that was before I was born.

Favorite characters? Bob Cratchit, and of course Nancy. Dodger makes me laugh, but that's more in the musical.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

MllePaula

Re: Appreciating Charles Dickens

Postby MllePaula » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:31 pm

I find that, with Dickens, I either madly love a book or I'm indifferent to it.

For example, I love "A Christmas Carol" so much that I read it out of season, can probably recite large chunks, and get rabidly angry at any film adaptation that isn't true to the book. Also love "A Tale of Two Cities." But that may be, in part, due to Ronald Colman as Sydney Carton...even though that adaptation isn't true to the book, it's the reason I read it.

But the rest...I've read them mainly because I felt I should, but none really stuck with me.

At the moment, I need to re-read "Oliver Twist."

MusicalTwin

Postby MusicalTwin » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:03 pm

MllePaula wrote:I find that, with Dickens, I either madly love a book or I'm indifferent to it.

For example, I love "A Christmas Carol" so much that I read it out of season, can probably recite large chunks, and get rabidly angry at any film adaptation that isn't true to the book. Also love "A Tale of Two Cities." But that may be, in part, due to Ronald Colman as Sydney Carton...even though that adaptation isn't true to the book, it's the reason I read it.

But the rest...I've read them mainly because I felt I should, but none really stuck with me.

At the moment, I need to re-read "Oliver Twist."

I know what you mean. I'm having these issues with other authors as well. As for Dickens, I still have to read most of his other novles besides "Oliver Twist" and "Nicholas Nickleby". I'll let you know what I think once I did so. *g*

But concerning Dickens in general: don't you, too, think that this man (like Victor Hugo) had the incredible gift of constructing complex and at the same time touching and arousing stories?! I think it's ingenious how he manages that! When I read Dickens, I always end up feeling a warmth in my heart. :) And the relations and relationships between his characters are so well thought through and so amazingly complex. How things fit together in the end and are connected with each other is sometimes just astonishing.
~*Last' inn tegitha!*~

Col.Despard

Postby Col.Despard » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:39 pm

I adore Sydney Carton. Utterly.

In general I can't stand his women...with the result that my favourite would have to be Madame deFarge. One has to admire her proactive stance!
"The principles of freedom, of humanity, and of justice, will finally triumph over falsehood, tyranny and delusion, and every principle inimical to the interests of the human race" - Edward Despard, 1803
http://coloneldespard.deviantart.com/

MusicalTwin

Postby MusicalTwin » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:22 pm

Col.Despard wrote:In general I can't stand his women... with the result that my favourite would have to be Madame deFarge. One has to admire her proactive stance!

Haha. I don't care too much about his women either. They're all nice but most of them ain't rather interesting. Except for Nancy. I totally adore her and think she's such an interesting and diverse character. I'm probably going to write my BA thesis about her. :D
~*Last' inn tegitha!*~

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:27 am

I don't think I've ever liked his women characters either, with the possible exception of Madame Defarge. And even she is annoying at times.

Echoing the Carton love. Oh, Sydney. <3
and to this day, she's glided on
always home but so far away
like a word misplaced
nothing said, what a waste

~pearl jam, "dissident"

K. von Dork

Postby K. von Dork » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:33 am

Yes. Sir Sydney Carton saving Princesse Charles from the contraption that at that time, was hailed as the new 'queen' of France. <333333

collectingbees

Postby collectingbees » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:25 am

I read Oliver Twist when I was a kid, then read it again in high school. I have a pretty soft spot in my heart for feral urchin children and their mis-adventures. I read it again more recently and appreciated it a lot more after reading Les Miz again.

Also, does Sydney Carton remind anyone else of Grantaire??

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:30 pm

I think my fic Corner of the Sky has a lot to do with having read Oliver Twist a couple of times. Not that I've re-read it in years, in part because I don't want to end up cadging anything directly.

Sydney Carton is so Grantaire. There are also a ton of LM parallels in Bleak House, but I'm only really remembering Richard and Ada as Marius and Cosette at the moment. (again, haven't read it in much too long.)

But I think I'm most attached to the slashy ones: Great Expectations, Nicholas Nickleby, David Copperfield. Great Expectations above all, I think, so long as it has the original ending.
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:17 pm

http://www.lmffi.com/fics/kindred.html
It is my solemn duty to point out this fic every time anyone mentions Carton and Grantaire being similar -- the crossover has been done, and done well.

(Amy is still one of my very favourite LM fic writers even though she hasn't written anything in probably 7 years, that I know of.)
and to this day, she's glided on
always home but so far away
like a word misplaced
nothing said, what a waste

~pearl jam, "dissident"

collectingbees

Postby collectingbees » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:19 am

This fanfic is stunning. I want to write an entire thesis about their similarities.

silverwhistle

Postby silverwhistle » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:16 am

MmeJavert wrote:http://www.lmffi.com/fics/kindred.html
It is my solemn duty to point out this fic every time anyone mentions Carton and Grantaire being similar -- the crossover has been done, and done well.

(Amy is still one of my very favourite LM fic writers even though she hasn't written anything in probably 7 years, that I know of.)

Tjhat is a stunning fic! Thanks for telling us about it!

I must say, though, that I don't like Dickens. The pressures of serialisation show: he was paid per word, literally, and it damaged his style. Also, in the UK (unlike France), because of serial publication and the often religious nature of the subscription libraries, works had to be considered fit to read aloud to a 'family audience'. This sometimes cramped the ability of writers to deal with adult themes so effectively. Later in 19C, poor Hardy was pummelled by the critics for writing works that were tame in comparison with what Zola was doing.
- Entends-tu? je t'aime! cria-t-il encore.
- Quel amour! dit la malheureuse en frémissant.
Il reprit: - L'amour d'un damné.

Victor Hugo, Notre Dame de Paris

Return to “Other 19th Century Literature”