Carton Fans Anonymous: The Juice Box Thread

Discussion on any 19th century written works by authors other than Hugo.
YoungStudentMarius

Re: Carton Fans Anonymous: The Juice Box Thread

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Thu May 30, 2013 2:33 am

I know. :evil:

True, true. But I think that just means it's the perfect time to tell the story again, because it'll be an entirely new experience for so many of the people.
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

freedomlover
Location: The Barricade of Freedom!!! or the Saint-Merri Barricade

Postby freedomlover » Thu May 30, 2013 2:44 am

That is a wonderful way to look at it Marius! :D
ImageTime Machine Theory:According to some people, Hugo had a time machine and based Enjolras on this user but made a male version of this user.

WhoIam

Postby WhoIam » Thu May 30, 2013 2:54 am

I need to read A Tale of Two Cities. As soon as possible.
All the world's a party, and I'm usually the awkward wallflower in the corner with a glass of water and a copy of Les Mis.

Mademoiselle Mabeuf
Location: Waiting in the parlor hall or leaning on the office wall

Postby Mademoiselle Mabeuf » Thu May 30, 2013 3:58 am

YoungStudentMarius wrote:Aw, thanks, Mabz! :oops: I'm very glad you like it. And oh, you finished Oliver? That's wonderful; I love that book, too, though not as much as Tale. :mrgreen: Which, speaking of, if you aren't averse to digital copies and online reading, you could always read here, one of many places. And if we scared your friend away, sorry. :oops: Very sorry. Tell her she's welcome and that we're not scary.

And Gervais, this thread is growing!

Nope, you didn't...she just doesn't "get" Abaissé...I think she's confused about how it works...hopefully the next time I go over to her house I can explain and get her as addicted as I am to this site...
Oliver was amazingness. Rose=Cosette. And Oliver=Toby from Sweeney. I shall now click on that link.
"He never left home without a book under his arm, and often returned with two..."
^Victor Hugo on my life.
When I rule the world I'll plant flowers. :twisted:

Mademoiselle Mabeuf

Postby Mademoiselle Mabeuf » Thu May 30, 2013 4:35 am

*finishes chapter 2*
*is drawn in*
Must read...but NEED SLEEP. But MUST READ...but NEED SLEEP. Mrargh. Decisions, decisions.
I choose sleep. Because I've gotten about six hours total the past two nights...*is sad*
"He never left home without a book under his arm, and often returned with two..."
^Victor Hugo on my life.

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Thu May 30, 2013 5:20 am

Hey, that's okay! Tale is a large commitment. Not because it's long, but because it likes to weave itself subtly, and not so subtly into your life, changing it. Like a golden thread. :mrgreen: Cheap shots are so much easier with Tale than others.

And okay, well, if your friend wants to come, I promise we'd be nice! A bit insane, but nice.
And YES, YES, YES! Oliver Twist and Les Mis = far too similar. We had a conversation about this once, months and months ago, like, last October, I think, and decided something to the effect of Rose = Cosette, Dodger = Gavroche (of course), Nancy = Éponine, Bet = Azelma, Sikes = Thenardier, Brownlow = Valjean, and -- get this-- Oliver = Marius. Or Harry = Marius. And I think there was even a story about something there Gervais wanted to write...But either way, just more general insanity over on the chat thread. Two thousand pages ago. :wink: And whoops, sorry, now I've hijacked this thread with randomness. :oops: At least it's Dickens.
>Ahem< Rose = Lucie. There.
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Thu May 30, 2013 1:49 pm

WhoIam wrote:I need to read A Tale of Two Cities. As soon as possible.
Yes, yes you do. :twisted: Glad you're liking it, Em and Mabz! :D

I don't remember what exactly told me the ending, but I knew before I read the book, for sure.

Proper burial would work, too. This would be horrible, but what if he was the one who accidentally killed Lucie Sr? The Cracken appreciates the cookie. :mrgreen:

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Thu May 30, 2013 2:30 pm

Gervais wrote:Proper burial would work, too. This would be horrible, but what if he was the one who accidentally killed Lucie Sr? The Cracken appreciates the cookie. :mrgreen:

That's probably too harsh. :shock: That's...that's...ach, Carton would never ever get over it. I would never get over it. :wink: Poor guy. But anyway you like, I mean, after all, it seems you've already made it an agenda to torture these poor people. :wink:
And tell the Cracken there's a whole lot more in the larder if he wants them.

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Thu May 30, 2013 2:37 pm

Maybe the revelation of that could be the Big Thing in chapter 22? :mrgreen: That might be a bit too cruel, though, you're right.

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Thu May 30, 2013 2:38 pm

It could, but it might. How's Darnay taking all of this, by the way? :wink:

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Thu May 30, 2013 7:44 pm

Hmm...I think he was the one that wanted to ship the body to America, but not sure about anything other than that.

Vive_la_Révolution

Postby Vive_la_Révolution » Thu May 30, 2013 9:35 pm

Mademoiselle Mabeuf I found you. haha.
OMG U STARTED ATOTC AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
UR ON CHAPTER TWO
KEEP GOING
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
To anyone else: I am possibly the most outrageous fangirl of Sydney Carton ever, so i applaud you. And i'm new to this so idk how this works...but yeah :)
"It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known.”
*Le goes off and sobs for hours*

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Thu May 30, 2013 9:38 pm

YAAAAAAY, you're back! :mrgreen: We were afraid we scared you off, and were feeling slightly ashamed. :oops: Even when Mabz (Mademoiselle Mabeuf) told us we didn't. And join us! It's great fun, and there's lots of Carton fangirling, especially with talk of symbolism and all that, and we're planning a movie, and writing numerous crack fics, and you know, whatever, so...hello! :D

And all right, that's a good start, at least, Gervais.

Vive_la_Révolution

Postby Vive_la_Révolution » Thu May 30, 2013 9:53 pm

Hello!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I must join you!!! This is very important!!! I
"It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known.”
*Le goes off and sobs for hours*

Mademoiselle Mabeuf

Postby Mademoiselle Mabeuf » Thu May 30, 2013 9:57 pm

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Seriously, this guy in ATOTC is going tomorrow to Calais and it's exciting me so much...
^Victor Hugo on my life.

Return to “Other 19th Century Literature”