Carton Fans Anonymous: The Juice Box Thread

Discussion on any 19th century written works by authors other than Hugo.
YoungStudentMarius

Re: Carton Fans Anonymous: The Juice Box Thread

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:17 am

I think I understand you there. The thing I loved most about Oliver Twist, and what I found most brilliant about the book, was the style, the gradually disappearing ironic tone that morphed into something dark and serious, and then resumed the sarcastic facade. And I don't think that translates at all in an abridgment, so I can see that as a strike against them. And I know how absolutely gorgeous his prose is, too (though the comma usage is ridiculously nutty), so I see your point there. However, I did actually read an abridged version of A Tale of Two Cities to my little brother a few days after Christmas, and it wasn't too bad, really. It wasn't great, you know, seeing as the original is just, well, how it's meant to be, but for a child, I think it was pretty good. (And lightyears better than the Oliver Twist one).

And yes, I know what you mean, there! I was in a bookstore the other day, and, having just read The Count of Monte Cristo, I saw a copy on the shelf and picked it up to flip through it, and was shocked to see that it had been sorely abridged compared to the original, and yet nowhere on the entire book, inside or out, did it say so. And it looked thick and long enough to pass for the original. But it was missing at least 300 pages, and a good ten-fifteen random chapters.
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:04 am

So, your conversation just inspired me to look and see if my copy of Count of Monte Cristo is abridged.
Honestly, I can't tell. My guess is that it is--500 pages long , including the introduction. If it is, then DAMN YOU, SCHOLASTIC. :evil: This whole time, three years, I've thought it was unabridged. At
least we got it for free.

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:31 am

Gervais wrote:My guess is that it is--500 pages long , including the introduction.

Um...yep, typically, I think it's about a thousand plus. :lol: You poor thing, though! :( Ah, well, at least it was free, and I think you can always find the full version online.
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:37 pm

:( Whyyyyyyy. Whyyyyyyy. Whyyyyy. :cry: Though this does explain why I had no idea what people were talking about when they were saying Eugénie Danglars was probably a lesbian.
To Google Books!

Morgan

Postby Morgan » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:41 pm

Stupid publishers and their sneaky cuts *shakes fist*
Rash waistcoats and scarlet opinions

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:09 pm

Stupid publishers is right! I think we need to wage war on them, now, too. :evil:

You mean you didn't get to the part where she chopped all her hair off, Gervais? :(

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:35 pm

I think it did mention the hair-cutting and cross dressing, but it was a mention, not a digression, and the part where she's asking about the pretty girls at the Opera was cut. :( And Louise was barely mentioned at all.

Alright, so we're canceling the barricading of Hooper's lawn and relocating to Scholastic? Let's do it. :twisted:

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:58 pm

Aww. Sad. :( Yeah, it was a whole chapter, the hair-cutting and cross-dressing, and then the escaping in a carriage into the country, and all, that was another chapter or two.

The book was long, frankly.

Yep. Let's. :twisted: Be there at six o' clock sharp in the morning.
Though, I don't know where Scholastic is, frankly...

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:51 am

There's an office in New York City. We can start the barricade at six, leave it up for a day, and then go see Phantom. Perfect plan.

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:54 am

Aha!
You know, the funny thing was, was as soon as you said, "New York city," my first thought was, "and then we go see a show, like Phantom, or two, or five!" ...And then the rest of your sentence. :mrgreen:
Anyway, yes, it is a perfect plan. :twisted:

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:43 am

So this is an archaic thread... I'll post anyway. I read ATOTC when I was 14 and it hit like an Earth-crossing asteroid. I really lost my head, heh. I went through a terrific French Revolution phase--talked about it so much my brother started calling me Robespierre--memorized the Marseillaise--in writing only, though. I can still write it out. As for Sydney Carton, wow, all I could do was wish I could do something as grand! Life has fortunately not brought the opportunity.
Don't mess with Texas! We mess up enough by ourselves.
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now.

Return to “Other 19th Century Literature”