Carton Fans Anonymous: The Juice Box Thread

Discussion on any 19th century written works by authors other than Hugo.
Gervais

Re: Carton Fans Anonymous: The Juice Box Thread

Postby Gervais » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:21 am

I am, I am! :mrgreen: Though I've already managed to get a few ink stains on it near the bottom. :?

There will come a day when I will have to explain to my friends why I can't take a juice box seriously. Thankfully that day hasn't come yet, so I still have time to think over what to say. :wink: Though, hey, middle of a bookstore is as good of a place for pun explanations as anywhere.

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:24 am

Though, Gervais, think about it for a second-- if there was ever a shirt that ink stains would be good on, it's the Dickens one. :wink:

Unfortunately, my mother was not amused. :( Well, at the pun. She was very amused at me. :cry:
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

freedomlover
Location: The Barricade of Freedom!!! or the Saint-Merri Barricade

Postby freedomlover » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:31 am

awww Marius :( I will never take a juice box seriously... ever ;) If I ever get elected to the senate someday and if I ever to a filibuster- I hope I remember to bring these reading materials 1) Les Mis- read Enjolras' barricade speeches dramatically. 2) read the Tale- and explain what a "juice box" is ;)
ImageTime Machine Theory:According to some people, Hugo had a time machine and based Enjolras on this user but made a male version of this user.

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:03 am

True, true. :wink:

I think it would go the same way once I explain it to my mom, Marius. :( Oh well.

No, don't explain the Juice Box, Em! Let them wonder. :twisted:

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

freedomlover

Postby freedomlover » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:34 pm

I just finished the Tale. Amazing story----- Sydney Carton :cry:
ImageTime Machine Theory:According to some people, Hugo had a time machine and based Enjolras on this user but made a male version of this user.

R the Cynic

Postby R the Cynic » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:01 am

freedomlover wrote:I just finished the Tale. Amazing story----- Sydney Carton :cry:

I know........ is it bad for me that practically all I do is read about my literary crushes dying? The barricade scenes are particularly depressing, as I am in love with all of the Amis, although the end of Tale came close. After I stopped sobbing, just thinking "It is a far, far better thing" set me off again.... :oops: I love Sydney Carton.
He who does not weep does not see.

'Vive la Rèpublique! I belong to it!'

Je n'entrave que le dail comment meck, le daron des orgues, peut atiger ses mômes et ses momingards et les locher criblant sans être agité lui-même.

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:54 am

I know, Em! I know. I know. :cry: I...I know. In fact, that's apparently about all I can say right now. Just...we feel your pain. And you too, Cynic. Yay. We can all be depressed by our Juice Box love together. :cry:

So, I'm thinking of trying to make one of those text-poster shirts, you know, like the litographs design that it seems like they'll never get around to putting on shirts? Because Gervais has a Tale shirt, and now I want one, too, but I'm on a budget. Not sure if it'll work, though.
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

Morgan

Postby Morgan » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:19 am

*wanders into thread*

So I just started reading.

I forgot how much I enjoy Dickens.

(Yay, getting through another book I've owned for years and never read...Les Mis fandom is such a good influence :D or a bad influence since I'm reading novels at work :oops: )
Rash waistcoats and scarlet opinions

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:27 am

Hey, Morgan! Nice to see you 'round here. :D And yay, hooray for Dickens! I really need to read more of his work, actually.

It's a good influence. Of course. :twisted: And hey, we've all done it. :wink:

freedomlover

Postby freedomlover » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:00 pm

*smishes Marius*. RIP Carton, now he is on the giant literary character barricade in literature heaven..

So I was looking up this government website on safety of foreign countries because of a possible trip I'm making to France. I was thinking they should have had something like that in TOTC. "France- warning: everybody and everything is a suspect of plotting against the Republic. If you are an aristocrat-- you will be killed, but even if you are not you are in danger. Best avoid travel if related to the hated Evermonde family."

Morgan

Postby Morgan » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:27 am

Well, I just finished.

(I will not cry at work over books I shouldn't be reading at work... :cry: )

Marius - Is this the only thing of his you've read?

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:32 am

Ah, Morgan, it's okay! Don't worry, we know how you feel. :cry:

No, actually, I've read Oliver Twist, too, and absolutely loved it, and an abridged version of Great Expectations (when I was very young), which I extremely disliked, but that could just be because it was abridged. Portions of A Christmas Carol, too, though I don't think I read the whole thing. I'd really like to try David Copperfield sometime. And others, because I know I really should read more Dickens, seeing how much I've enjoyed what I read, but ah, there's just so many books I have to read already! Anything in particular you'd recommend?

Morgan

Postby Morgan » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:38 am

It's a long time since I've read much of him - my parents own pretty much his complete works and I worked my way through a bunch of them ten-fifteen years ago, but I think Great Expectations ended putting me off too.
I do remember really enjoying Nicholas Nickleby, and I liked David Copperfield.

(Oh, and my first introduction to Dickens, when I was very small: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/23344/23344-h/23344-h.htm)

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:49 am

Ah, that's nice. I think all we owned was Great Expectations, but my parents bought me a set of abridged classics when I was young, and that had Great Expectations and Oliver Twist, and, ironically enough, I couldn't bring my self to like either of them (though I still read them several times), but now that I look at it, I can tell for Oliver Twist, at least, I just had an abysmally abridged copy. Seriously, the lady butchered and ruined that poor thing.
I was interested in Nicholas Nickleby, too, but I got a free copy of David Copperfield from a pile of books a while ago, so that'll probably come first, that is, if I can try to ignore the really bad-looking 80s cover enough to actually read it. :wink:

Aw, that looks really sweet! :lol: He did write pretty much everything, didn't he? I'll have to read that sometime.

Morgan

Postby Morgan » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:03 am

I really don't think he abridges well, even with a good abridger. I've read abridged novels by other authors and enjoyed them without realizing they were abridged (I felt genuinely and seriously betrayed when I first discovered that most copies of The Three Musketeers are significantly longer than the Puffin Classics editon), but I've never been able to deal with Dickens abridged even when I wasn't aware of the abridgement.
His prose is longwinded but I think he doesn't tend to actually digress as much as Certain People I Could Mention, so it's not really that easy to cut his books down without butchering them. And I think a lot of the appeal of his writing IS sometimes how verbose he is. (My first post in this thread was made in the throes of "god, Dickens, I want to roll around in your prose forever", I'd initially been planning not to barge in until I'd actually finished the book)

And yes, the Magic Fishbone is adorable. One of my absolute favourite children's books.

Return to “Other 19th Century Literature”