Carton Fans Anonymous: The Juice Box Thread

Discussion on any 19th century written works by authors other than Hugo.
Gervais

Carton Fans Anonymous: The Juice Box Thread

Postby Gervais » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:06 am

Alright, first off, half of the blame/credit/finger pointing is to be aimed at YoungStudentMarius. I just happened to make this thread before she did. :wink:

Basically, a place to talk about, rant about, write essays on, fangirl, and cry through A Tale of Two Cities. We know that a Dickens thread already exists, it's just that this book deserves one of its own.
Last edited by Gervais on Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

YoungStudentMarius

Re: Carton Fans Anonymous

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:15 am

*bows* We had a race. I had one half-written, but I'm slow. :wink: By the way, I love the title. :mrgreen:

Exactly! Basically, because we keep on discussing it on pretty much every other thread (well, mostly the chat one), and came to the conclusion that any discussion here would probably be far more fruitful than a whole month studying it in class...so...hence this! Like Gervais said, anything's fair game. It'll probably be a mess of varied emotions, what with all the serious conversation and random things like, um, this, and all the in-betweens, like this. Oh, yeah, and our plans for a movie as well. :mrgreen: Basically, the best and worst of times. :mrgreen: Don't kill me, besides, puns are Gervais' thing anyway.
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:28 am

Okay, I've known the ending for the better part of a year, but... :shock: I literally just finished it a minute ago, and that sound you hear in the distance would be my sobbing. :cry:

That is all.

Oh, and this: http://tinyurl.com/b353m3s Is possibly the best thing ever. :mrgreen:

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:31 am

Same here. :cry: I was, um, piecing my way through Paris et Londres en 1793 to see if it was exactly the same (it's not :evil: ) during my band test the other day, because I finished mine early, but everyone else was still taking theirs, and I was about to burst into tears in the middle of it all, while trying not to interrupt them and have them mess up.

You are not alone.

Oh, I love that shirt! I would wear that, I would, I would! And this one. Even if it's not specifically Tale.
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:37 am

Is Paris et... supposed to be the translation, or was it supposed to be more of an adaptation?

*clueless monolingual*

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:49 am

Oh, feel no shame, I am by no stretch of the imagination bilingual. :wink: I stumble through and try to learn, and this is how I do it, picking a random passage and comparing it, looking up the words I don't know, etc.

It's a translation. It's just...I mean, the same, of course, but it's definitely not perfect. Which, I suppose, is how all translations are...but sometimes the meanings are a little...different. Like the last line, for example.

"It is a far, far better thing I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest I go to than I have ever known."

vs

"Ce que je fais aujourd'hui est infiniment meilleur que tout ce que j'aurais fait dans l'avenir, et je vais enfin goûter le repos que je n'ai jamais connu," which translates roughly, very, very roughly, mind you, to "That which I do today is infinitely better than all that I would have done in the future, and I will at last taste the rest that I never knew."

Which is similar, of course. They got the gist of it. But, I mean, he never said he wouldn't have done good things in the future, he said he hadn't done good things in the past. So I guess...I don't know, you just can't mess with a line like that. :?

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:13 am

Oh. Okay, I think I get it now. You'd think they'd keep the tense the same, of all things, too.

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:46 pm

Yeah.

This thread needs more love. C'mon people, we don't bite! Or guillotine! :cry:

All right then. I shall shamelessly use this to show the Tale things I made. :mrgreen:
Scarf
Coffee cup thing
Yes, I shamelessly stole designs from everywhere.

Including this, which certainly needs a bit of appreciation for being The Coolest Thing Ever.

And I can't get over how awesome this book cover is.

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:41 pm

:shock: That book cover needs to be a poster, I swear.

I guess that here would be a good place for this, as well, though it's a Brick quote.

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:06 pm

Let's make it one. :twisted: Oh, hey, wait, I was looking to see if I could find copyright on it or something, and it looks like it was a contest entry. By students? http://www.tqsmagazine.co.uk/10-alternative-book-covers-film-posters/ Ah, here's the contest. That was last year's submission.

Oh, I love that quote. :shock: You put that together, right? :wink: It looks great.

Oh, and I wish I had this, too. :mrgreen:

And Gervais, look at this picture. I saw that and thought, "My word, it is Sydney Carton." Google image search tells us, however, that his name is John Martin Harvey, and there, he plays none but Sydney Carton, yes, in an adaptation of A Tale of Two Cities called "The Only Way," on the stage in the 1890s, and filmed in the 1920s. Have you heard of that play before? I hadn't, but it sounds really interesting.

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:20 pm

...Let's do it. :twisted: The people who made it did really, really well, too, so I hope that they placed.

Yes, yes I did. :wink: Thanks.

I've never heard of it before, but he does look like him. :shock: It's better than who my previous mental actor for him was: http://thehungergames.wikia.com/wiki/Haymitch_Abernathy If the actor shaved and was about 20 years younger, but Harvey fits almost perfectly.

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:32 pm

Cool! Searching to see if they placed...Oh, wait...apparently it is a poster already. :cry: http://society6.com/RowanStocksMoore/A-Tale-of-Two-Cities_Print?show=promoters At least that means we could buy it, I suppose...
More research (aka, Marius wasn't paying attention and misread a caption) has revealed that it wasn't done by students, it was done by the same guy who did these in order to celebrate and sort of kick-off the contest done by students. :oops: Whoops. Ah, well.
...We could always design our own Tale posters, what about it? You think? :mrgreen:

Ah, yes, I could see how that's a nice replacement. :wink: He does look a bit, but, yeah, I can't get past the hair. :shock:

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:04 am

Plot Twist: The guillotine breaks.

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:07 am

YES! :mrgreen: Though that would be the worst anticlimactic thing ever...maintenance for half an hour after that awesome last speech, and then he dies anyway. :cry:

Plot twist: Darnay and Carton are really identical twins separated at birth. :mrgreen: No thanks. :shock:

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:12 am

...Marius, I do believe that the Cracken has returned. :twisted: Thank you.

That would make so much sense, actually. :shock: We never learn much or really anything about Sydney's parents, do we?

Return to “Other 19th Century Literature”