Danton's Death (and radio play of!)

Discussion on any 19th century written works by authors other than Hugo.
Jes

Danton's Death (and radio play of!)

Postby Jes » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:37 pm

Radio 3 just broadcast this... here or if you miss it/are not in the UK, I taped it here (and will take down if that's not ok, just thought people might be interested...!)

I have no idea quite how much it has been adapted - I suspect a fair bit. It's been a few years since the full flood of my French Rev obsession and I can't remember much from my reading of the play back then so I don't even know where to begin talking about this, but basically I'm so glad it was on and gaah I do not have time to start re obsessing and researching right now and yet that is what I'm very tempted to do.......

Haha. I could ramble at great length. OK. Two points:

1. You do have to know that this is a very sort of zoomed in story about the Datonists and that Robespierre is basically there as antagonist, though not villain, exactly. Danton himself is brilliant to listen to (though not necessarily quite as I'd imagine...?) ......but as a result he kind of completely eclipses EVERYONE ELSE in terms of personality ^^ or maybe that's just me, wanting more Camille.

2. ...Saint-Just makes me laugh so much with his ninja sneaking skillz.

MmeBahorel

Re: Danton's Death (and radio play of!)

Postby MmeBahorel » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:12 am

Ooh, Patrick is perfect for pretty Camille Desmoulins. I'm a little sorry it's not the National Theatre cast, but that's because I'm a big fan of Toby Stephens who is very sorry to have had to miss this. But hey, Joseph Millson and Patrick Kennedy!

And thank you for the download!
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

Jes

Re: Danton's Death (and radio play of!)

Postby Jes » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:33 pm

I only just found out that the National Theatre had done this last year -- why do I keep completely missing these things? They have a downloadable info pack and everything. Elliot Leavey (Robespierre) obviously put a lot of thought and fannish research in, which makes me squee rather.

Patrick Kennedy as Camille was goood. Specially at the end. :cry:

Return to “Other 19th Century Literature”