The Epic Crossover Theory

Discussion on any 19th century written works by authors other than Hugo.
Marianne

The Epic Crossover Theory

Postby Marianne » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:10 am

The Epic Crossover Theory is very simple: it rests on the assumption that every single book/movie set in a particular place/time (Romantic-era Paris for us!) fundamentally takes place in the same universe, and all the characters from all these books could theoretically know each other as well as any historical figures from the era.

A few candidates for Epic Crossover Tiemz:
- Les Misérables
- ALL THE BALZAC EVER
- Claude Gueux (ca. 1826-32)
- Horace by George Sand
- Mysteries of Paris and Count of Monte Cristo both take place in the late 1830s/early 1840s, but have backstory from the 20s and early 30s
- Les Enfants du Paradis
- Post-canon Aubrey/Maturin is doable (think if Stephen retired to France to teach or something of the sort)
- Post-canon Sweeney Todd is doable (assuming early part of the Industrial Revolution as a setting, and Anthony and Johanna elope to France as planned--also, any sort of ST/Great Expectations crossover would be epic)
- There must be some way to work a Coast of Utopia crossover
- SO MANY HISTORICAL FIGURES! Vidocq, Lacenaire, Blanqui and all the rest of the early republicans, Hugo himself, Dumas, George Sand, flamboyant Romantics, etc. etc. etc.

So, suggestions for other canons? Character meetups you'd particularly like to see? I personally think it would be hilarious if all the characters based on Vidocq ran into him at the same time.
[Dieu] entend ta voix, ô fille des hommes! aussi bien que celle des constellations; car rien n'est petit pour celui devant lequel rien n'est grand.
- George Sand, Les sept cordes de la lyre

Meg-Giry

Re: The Epic Crossover Theory

Postby Meg-Giry » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:59 pm

I've also realised that the count of Monte Cristo has some parts at the same time as Les Misérables which is not so surprising caus Dumas has the same birthyear as Hugo.
And I always interpret Hugo himself into his book. There is some line of a young wirhter who is in the street douring the battle. (Can't recall it more precise) To me - this wirter always was Hugo.

Rose In Misery

Postby Rose In Misery » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:45 pm

Isn't La Boheme set in 1830? Mimi might know Musichetta, and Rodolfo could know Jehan...
Les Miserables-the greatest thing since stolen bread!

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:22 pm

Stendhal's characters from "Le Rouge et Noir". I think there was some discussion on another thread of what would happen if Julien Sorel met the Amis.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:27 pm

Bohème is technically a bit later (the Wiki entry is pretty good - I'd say early '40s are the real period), but if you go by the opera, there are no markers for exact period, so if directors can set it in 1957 or 1914 or any other period they please, I can write crossovers to my heart's content :) Picking through the original text, there are no strong markers of time, either, or none that I noticed, which means I'm glad to pull characters and information from that, too. The sense of period with Murger is fluid enough, and Illica/Giacosa's libretto for the opera is more than reasonable. The Café Momus actually existed, and probably early enough for our boys if the dating of this picture is correct (the location is correct, but Boys was in Paris through 1837, then may have returned later).

The Coast of Utopia timeline focuses strictly on 1848, of course, but there should be plenty of opportunities there. The Herzens arrive in Paris in March 1847, but after six months, they go to Italy, because France is not living up to the ideal. Therefore, they miss the February Revolution. They go back once news reaches Rome, this time in the company of the Tuchkovs. They returned to Paris on 5 May, therefore witnessed all the awfulness of the June Days, then the Tuchkovs left for Russia in November of that year. The Herzens leave for Geneva in the middle of 1849, back to Paris in January 1850, back to Switzerland in August, then to Nice (which was then owned by one of the Italian states) in June 1851.

Of course, that begs the question, could Marius handle a social circle that involves Alexander Herzen and George Herwegh? :)

There's got to be some backstory in Zola: the Rougon-Macquart series has origins falling into our period, though he was mostly writing the novels in his own period and setting them during the Second Empire. There's at least crossover potential simply due to the age of some of the characters.

You get Rossini premieres in Paris throughout this period, though it's too bad that Bellini being awesome (and bi) is in Italy during most of our period (the I Puritani Paris premiere was in 1835). This is assuming that even half of Terrence McNally's Golden Age is true, but McNally totally gave Bellini a very cute revolutionary boyfriend, but they all arrive in Paris slightly too late for it to do me any good (again, can't imagine these being circles Marius would travel in).
Last edited by MmeBahorel on Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

Meg-Giry

Postby Meg-Giry » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:36 am

Le Rouge et le Noir (The Red and the Black) by Stendhal is set between 1826 and 1831.
I din't get a chance to read the book till now, but it's title caught me - because of the song read and black.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Red_and_the_Black

Trompe-la-Mort

Postby Trompe-la-Mort » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:15 pm

@ Marianne: Someone once started a fic on ff.net in which about half the characters were based on Vidocq. But I think this was just why it wasn't continued...
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4545133/1/
Dark sarcasm ought to be taught at schools!

Little Cozelma

Postby Little Cozelma » Thu May 23, 2013 10:08 pm

What about Valjean and Vautrin being fellow prisoners? I'm sure the only reason why no one has mentioned it yet is because there's not much to say.. I don't think they would have much interest in each other in any way, but imagination has no limits :D

Rachel

Postby Rachel » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:14 pm

Hm, Oliver Twist is 1836, I believe, so maybe Mr. Brownlow could have friends in France? And Marius could come to visit him for some business thing and meet/hear about Oliver? If this takes place during canon, we could work Nancy and Fagin and Dodger and Sikes in there as well. If it's after the book... Most of them are dead. :shock: We could have Oliver, though!

Clearly, I have fantastic luck in the dating field.

Quotes to live by:
"This is highly illegal!" ~Inspector Javert (The Girl Nextdoor)

Return to “Other 19th Century Literature”