Best translation of Notre Dame?

Anything by Victor Hugo besides Les Misérables.
humanracer

Best translation of Notre Dame?

Postby humanracer » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:47 pm

Hi
I just bought the Collins Classic version today. It is titled "Hunchback of Notre Dame". It does not mention the translator but I think it is Frederic Shoberl. I am finding the book pretty hard going to be honest and struggled to finish the first chapter. Hugo spends a lot of time describing a hall, which is fair enough but the text does not seem to flow that well. I am wondering if it would be worth trying another translation or should I stick with this one?

Thanks

Gervais

Re: Best translation of Notre Dame?

Postby Gervais » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:19 pm

iBooks has the Isabel Hapgood translation, actually titled Notre Dame de Paris, and even though I haven't read that one all of the way through it's pretty good so far.

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:45 am

The Penguin (John Sturrock) and the Signet (Walter Cobb) both read well, though I haven't spent enough time with either and my French copy to make any significant comparisons. On a quick check of the first couple pages, I'm finding Cobb very fluid, but I'd make different translation choices at times (nothing's really off, just there are ways to be a bit more exact without killing the flow). I don't own the Sturrock (I read it first, then my parents bought me the Cobb, and this was all about 15 years ago).
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

enjolraslesunicorn

Postby enjolraslesunicorn » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:15 pm

My copy's from the Barnes and Noble Classics thing. It's introduction and footnotes are by Isabel Roche, but it's translated anonymously... I like it though. It's easy enough for me to read.
It's the return of the horrendously drawn unicorn horn

FortressDoor
Location: Taking Down the government!!! (Via Facebook. The outside scares me)

Postby FortressDoor » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:37 pm

My Wordsworth classics edition has 250 notes attached, a lot of which are just the annotator correcting the translator , which is annoying :(
Everyone who complains that the movie is too long hasn't read the book.

Name stolen from friend on other forum.

Maria Combeferre

Postby Maria Combeferre » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:04 pm

I'm reading Hapgood's translation becuase it was the one available on Project Gutenberg but experience from her work on Les Misérables leaves me vary and wanting something more reliable for a printed copy.
It's easier to be odd or crazy or insane than to hurt all the time.

Be who you are and say what you mean. Because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

God is not dead, nor doth He sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail.

Return to “Victor Hugo's works”