Bande Dessinée/Comic-book eds of Hugo

Anything by Victor Hugo besides Les Misérables.
silverwhistle

Bande Dessinée/Comic-book eds of Hugo

Postby silverwhistle » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:17 pm

Anyone know much about any of these? I've got a couple of English-language ones of NDdP, and wondered what else was out there.
- Entends-tu? je t'aime! cria-t-il encore.
- Quel amour! dit la malheureuse en frémissant.
Il reprit: - L'amour d'un damné.

Victor Hugo, Notre Dame de Paris

silverwhistle

Re: Bande Dessinée/Comic-book eds of Hugo

Postby silverwhistle » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:53 pm

On Friday I got a BD of NDdP, publ. by Glénat, 2010. While it sticks pretty well to the story (still no cassock-ripping, though) I was somewhat bemused by the drawings (by Jean-Marie Michaud), especially the depictions of Claude and Pâquette. They are 10 years younger than I am – and while one would expect their asceticism to have taken its toll, Pâquette especially shouldn't look quite as decrepit as in the drawings. As an anchoress, who has been treating herself very badly for the past 15 years, she'll look like a chronically malnourished and sick young woman – which is not the same as an old woman. The way she's drawn in this, she looks older than my mother, who is nearly 86!
- Entends-tu? je t'aime! cria-t-il encore.
- Quel amour! dit la malheureuse en frémissant.
Il reprit: - L'amour d'un damné.

Victor Hugo, Notre Dame de Paris

Trompe-la-Mort

Postby Trompe-la-Mort » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:08 pm

I've got two Les misérables and one "Dernier jour d'un condamné" (really!) comic books.

For LM, it's one of these Classic Comics (nothing special...) and a Donald Duck comic called "The secret of the silver candlesticks", which, to my knowledge, has only been published in a few countries; among other Germany, Italy and Finland. Maybe more. It starts off with Scrooge hiding from a tax collector in Donald's house where the nephews are in a terribly mood, because the TV's broken and they wanted to watch the first part of "Les misérables" (ever since I'm trying to find out what adaptation they probably watched. I still guess it's 1985). Through the lamenting of Scrooge, they find out that Hugo based the story on one of Scrooge's ancestors, known in German as Jean Dagojean (which makes sense only if you know that Scrooge's first name in German is "Dagobert"). So they get Scrooge to tell the story instead. Of all the adaptations for children, I would consider this one the most funny of all, without becoming too stupid.

About the last one: A comic book writer called Stanislas Gros has made a comic book adaptation of "Last Day" a few years ago. It's mainly pretty good; hardly cuts any text and I quite like the drawing style, despite the fact that it's often very simple. It's let down by a couple of historical inaccuracies (the galleys, once again) which often show clearly that the writer knew little more about the subject (prisons, argot etc.) than what he read in the book. Plus, there are a few really weird pictures...
Dark sarcasm ought to be taught at schools!

La Saboteuse

Postby La Saboteuse » Mon May 16, 2011 7:57 am

And who gave you that? ;)

I really meant to ask him about that whole "the galleys! and that's not metonymy!" gaff, but forgot. It's a shame he messed up on that, since the rest is so accurate. He takes some liberties with historical accuracy, but those are on purpose ("J'ai mis des colombages sur des façades haussmanniennes, bref c'est n'importe quoi"). Speaking of which, I actually rewrote my paper! I submitted it to a journal. I'll tag you in the Facebook note.

Trompe-la-Mort

Postby Trompe-la-Mort » Tue May 24, 2011 1:43 pm

Did I forget to say thanks? ;-)

Hello, by the way. I first was wondering if it was you, but seeing the avatar, there was no doubt left...

I shouldn't be too harsh on Gros, seeing as by now the only proof that I once made the mistake about the galleys myself has reappeared. And the façade of the Hôtel de Ville, taking the description in the book to the literal level, was great.
(And I've seen the article. I'll probably get round to read it today...)

Starlene

Postby Starlene » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:13 pm

The Donald Duck/Les Mis crossover has recently been republished in Finland (this time in full colour even!), and I scanned and translated a couple of panels for Tumblr. I figured out someone here might be interested, too, so here - the pics that were too big are in links:

Javert is angry.

Marius gets too excited.

Javert's plan put to action.

(There was no room to translate, but the signs say "Feminism" and "Give women the right to vote".)

If someone feels, after this presentation, that they can't live without this Disney adventure in their collections - seriously though, it's pretty funny -, this shop (hope it makes sense if you put it in Google Translate) should be selling it to foreign countries. I've a full translation of the comic, PM me if you want it! :D
It's a magical world... Let's go exploring!

Trompe-la-Mort

Postby Trompe-la-Mort » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:35 pm

It actually has been re-released in German in full colour, too. And on someone's request, I'm currently in the middle of scanning and translating it... Maybe it would be sufficient if one of us does it... ;-)

Starlene

Postby Starlene » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:11 pm

If you're scanning it, I can send you the translations, since I've already done them? :D

Trompe-la-Mort

Postby Trompe-la-Mort » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:59 am

I've also already done the translations... It's putting it into the pictures that's the biggest bit of work... Btw, it seems as though the texts are rather different in German and Finnish; if I look at what you already put there...

Starlene

Postby Starlene » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:14 pm

Ah, I see - I never put more of it on the pictures than these here, the rest is still just text files on my computer.

Trompe-la-Mort

Postby Trompe-la-Mort » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:30 pm

Similar for me... I've got about 20 complete pages by now and a lot more incomplete, because working page by page is boring. I have one question: What is Donald's/Marius' poetry in the Finnish version? In German, they quote famous )at least, famous in Germany) bits of poems, so I'm still unsure what to do with that.

Starlene

Postby Starlene » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:46 am

They're some intentionally bad made-up rhymes: "The time flies with golden wings/My heart leaps to you" or "The glow of your complexion is like a-" :D

Trompe-la-Mort

Postby Trompe-la-Mort » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:12 pm

So, I finally wrapped it up when I realised that I was one or two speech bubbles from completing most pages...

Swamp Adder

Postby Swamp Adder » Thu May 30, 2013 12:08 am

Trompe-la-Mort, I don't know if you ever finished translating this comic, but a Duck Comics fan (who knows nothing about Les Mis) has helpfully done a translation that can be downloaded here. Since I'm both a Mizzie AND a Duckfan, I got a real kick out of it.

Trompe-la-Mort

Postby Trompe-la-Mort » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:29 am

I did actually finish it and I thought I had put a link here to download it, although it was on megaupload... But anyway, thanks. Will check it out.

Return to “Victor Hugo's works”