A question about Enjolras's name

Any discussion related to Victor's Hugo's Les Misérables, in any language.
Marianne

Re: A question about Enjolras's name

Postby Marianne » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:38 am

Yeah--trouble with 'Feuilly' is that the French 'eu' doesn't exist in English, it's similar to the German 'ö'. So technically it is 'feu-yee,' with the first part pronounced like 'feu' or 'jeu' or 'yeux,' but Jess's approximation is about ten times easier for native English speakers. The other approximation would be to say 'feu' with a schwa, like the i in 'pencil' or the a in 'about.'
[Dieu] entend ta voix, ô fille des hommes! aussi bien que celle des constellations; car rien n'est petit pour celui devant lequel rien n'est grand.
- George Sand, Les sept cordes de la lyre

Mlle Patria

Postby Mlle Patria » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:02 pm

Thank you. Leave it to Hugo for yet another play on words.
Vive la France! Vive l'avenir!

Enjolras_fangirl

Postby Enjolras_fangirl » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:42 am

Roses for Ophelia wrote:The s is pronounced but VERY slightly, sort of the same way that a native french speaker would pronounce the 'ble' in 'Misérables' VERY slightly. The audiobook guy is simply wrong. If you listen to the beginning of the ABC cafe/red and black scene on the paris revival cd, when they shout 'enjolras' the s is pronounced slightly. that's the correct pronociation.

God, me and my dad ALWAYS have this argument whenever I mention Enjolras xD I pronounce the "s" at the end only a little bit, but he claims it's completely silent (he thinks he's right since he's known French for over twenty years and this is only my third year taking it). And I've mentioned the Paris revival CD pronunciation of his name as well, but apparently I'm still wrong, according to him. I say if it's said like that by the French, then it's supposed to be said that way.

Mlle Patria

Postby Mlle Patria » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:58 pm

Hehe. Nobody else in my family knows the slightest bit of French so they always assume that my pronounciation is correct, even though it's completely wrong at least half of the time. Reading and writing in French I'm fairly decent at but, my pronounciation tends to be sloppy/americanized/completely wrong. The one thing that I always have trouble with is the letters that are pronounced very slightly. I tend to either say it completely or not say it at all. There seems to be no in between.
Vive la France! Vive l'avenir!

The Victoriana

Postby The Victoriana » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:02 am

While reading these posts about correct (french) pronunciation of the names in the book, I was wondering if anyone might consider making audio recordings (mp3, mp4, or whatever) of the names so that those of us who have uncertainties about the pronunciations can listen to them. Personally, I think I am pronouncing the names mostly correctly, but it would be great to hear someone with the perfect pronunciation(s) just to make sure :) Could we post audio recordings on this site or would it have to be on an offsite link?

The Victoriana

Postby The Victoriana » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:16 am

Oh, also, on the subject of audiobooks- I am a very big fan of those. They make time pass much more quickly on long commutes and are fun to listen to.

Anyway, I was thinking about asking people on this board if anyone was interested in making a free "audiobook" of Les Misérables (the English translation(s) and/or the French original) available online. I know Librivox (http://librivox.org/), a volunteer organization providing free audiobooks from the public domain online (I've also made some audiobook contributions to this organization), has recorded Volumes 1 and 2 of the French and English translation, but I thought it might be fun to make a complete recording here among Abaisse/Les Mis fans. I am sure there are plenty of talented actors/actresses among us that might be willing to lend a voice :) I've been longing to do this too for some time, but never really had the courage to do the full recording on my own and actually post it online where people can hear it. :mrgreen:

Ulkis

Postby Ulkis » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:28 am

Count me in! I've been meaning to ask for a while now what kind of recording equipment people buy to record themselves on the computer, because I have no idea, but I'd like to do something like that very much.

The Victoriana

Postby The Victoriana » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:33 am

That's great! I use a Sony IC recorder, but I think there are free programs online that you can use to directly record your voice onto the computer (I think the Librivox site may have some info on that).

Anyway, I'm going to post this audiobook idea as a new topic, because it seems like it should be on a new thread.

[type your name]

Postby [type your name] » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:29 am

I'll make everyone a favour and not volunteer for the audiobook, since my spoken English really isn't good enough, but I'm willing to record the names if it can be helpful to some people, especially since that page on the official website doesn't exist anymore.

The Victoriana

Postby The Victoriana » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:47 am

[type your name] wrote:I'll make everyone a favour and not volunteer for the audiobook, since my spoken English really isn't good enough, but I'm willing to record the names if it can be helpful to some people, especially since that page on the official website doesn't exist anymore.

That would be great if you could record the names! Please do. That will be very helpful :)

[type your name]

Postby [type your name] » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:35 pm

I'll see what I can do when I have some free and alone time... I live with two roommates, so it could be a coupel of days :P

Mme Thenardier

Pronouncing Jehan

Postby Mme Thenardier » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:12 am

I have a friend names Jehanne and she's French...pretty much you pronounce it like the last syllable of parmesan... Jehanne is the earlier version of Jean as in Jean D'Arc (or Joan of Arc) Jehan is pronounced pretty much the same as Jehanne, but the vowels are slightly different. Jehanne has a bit of an ah+eh sound where Jehan is more of just ah

welch

Postby welch » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:16 pm

Somewhere in YouTube Aaron Tveit demonstrates how the movie cast was taught to pronounce "Enjolras". Key for me: the 'r' is swallowed, something I can't manage.

He said that Hooper, or Schonberg / Boublil, or someone important, insisted that they speak and sing in normal English, but that all names be pronouced as in the French.

He had practiced singing "Marius" with a rolled 'r' and the "us" pronounced as a typical "us" and in "we". For the movie, they swallowed the 'r' and sang "us" as "oose".

Why? (Ha!)

Return to “The Brick”