Non-English translations

Any discussion related to Victor's Hugo's Les Misérables, in any language.
Aurelia Combeferre

Re: Non-English translations

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:44 am

Translation problems ahoy here: I've succeeded in translating some four chapters:

-What Horizon Can Be Seen From the Top of the Barricade
-The Bishop at Work (the candlesticks and M. Myriel giving them to Valjean)
-Taken Prisoner (Marius agog after Cosette approaches him on the Luxembourg)
-Broadening the Horizon (Marius in the backroom, and Combeferre's "to be free" bit)

I don't even want to try translating Hugo's digressions till I've had practice translating his characters. So far I've been having an easy time with Les Amis, Marius, and to some degree Valjean. I will not even TRY translating Éponine, M. Thenardier, and Javert anytime soon!

I'm working on "The System of Denials"---yes, Champmathieu trial now. And can I just say...French-system legalese is proving to be a headache. This translation will take me YEARS to get through...
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:45 pm

Update on the translation story:

I'm on my 20th chapter. And I'm still not doing this book in order. I've succeeded in translating chapters that have included Éponine, M. Thenardier, Fantine and Gavroche. And 2 chapters with Javert.

Finding linguistic hilarities here too. The word for "mistress" in my home language is "kabit" or the more poetic-sounding "querida". But those two words carry such a bad connotation that I cannot possibly use in reference to Enjolras' "mistress" that I'm going to have to use the word for "sweetheart" which is "kasintahan". Oh the difficulties of going from West to East! :lol:
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Finny

Postby Finny » Sun May 23, 2010 5:05 pm

Very neat stuff, guys.

I should definitely ask either of the French teachers at my school if they've read it. They're both from Russia, you see, so there's a chance they might've encountered some Russian editions in their life. And if they haven't, I'll definitely encourage them to read it.

Roses for Ophelia

Postby Roses for Ophelia » Mon May 24, 2010 2:30 am

Aurelia, speaking about your translations, are you translating from the original french, or english?
Rivers belong where they can ramble...

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Mon May 24, 2010 3:55 am

English for now---as it is the version most available here in the Philippines. I had a schoolfriend who was comparing some of my translations with her copy of the English version.

One of these days though, when I am more confident with my French, I'm going to try translating from the French edition.

macaron

Postby macaron » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:24 pm

Pardon me for bringing such an old thread back to life, but it seemed the most fitting one. I got a new Swedish translation today, although when I say 'new' I mean from 1935. Apparently written Swedish has changed a lot more over the past hundred years than written English has, because the language is very dated. And because it's dated, it sometimes uses words and forms that either aren't used at all, or have been given new meaning. One of these occasions cracked me up.

You know when Gavroche meets his little brothers, and one of them says, "We don't know where to sleep tonight"? Well, the way this translation puts it, the little boy says "We don't know where we're going to get laid tonight." Unfortunate choice of words, to say the least!

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:20 pm

I'm starting to read it in Spanish, very slowly.
I assume it's a translation from french-spanish rather than a spanish translation of one of the english translations. It's the cheapest one that you can get for kindle. I'm enjoying it though.
"Cure your Cholera with boiled water and bananas"

IBelieveInYou

Postby IBelieveInYou » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:25 pm

The Greek one is horrible. Terrifying. It causes me to scream. All the names are translated in the most ridiculous way, most of them in a nickname style. Courfeyrac's is the Greek way of calling someone "Ickle Courfy" while Cosette is Titika. Jean Valjean is translates as Yiannis Ayiannis which ok is not so horrible. Why couldn't they have left the bloody names the same?
Then I saw their trembling features warp and, gradually,
Their foreheads turn pale and dissolve in front of me,
And everyone, like a stream that flows into a sea,
Became completely lost in a dark immensity.

Victor Hugo, The Slope of Reverie

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:28 pm

IBelieveInYou wrote:The Greek one is horrible. Terrifying. It causes me to scream. All the names are translated in the most ridiculous way, most of them in a nickname style. Courfeyrac's is the Greek way of calling someone "Ickle Courfy" while Cosette is Titika. Jean Valjean is translates as Yiannis Ayiannis which ok is not so horrible. Why couldn't they have left the bloody names the same?

They translated the names???!!!!
That is bad!

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:02 am

It's one thing with nicknames, like Barrecarrosse (Carriage-Blocker), but oy, real names should be left intact!
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:56 pm

Juan Valjuan, Cosita y Javerde :)

Trompe-la-Mort

Postby Trompe-la-Mort » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:45 pm

I've got a Spanish translation where the main character is actually called Juan Valjean. And a German translation about Johann Valjean. Where they honestly afraid that people wouldn't recognise the one most common French first name?
Dark sarcasm ought to be taught at schools!

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:17 pm

Trompe-la-Mort wrote:I've got a Spanish translation where the main character is actually called Juan Valjean. And a German translation about Johann Valjean. Where they honestly afraid that people wouldn't recognise the one most common French first name?

Seriously....goes to check her spanish copy. No, mine is just called Jean Valjean. Considering that Cosette is a nickname, I'd be less surprised if it got translated. It just means "little thing" right?

macaron

Postby macaron » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:17 pm

Oh, come on, changing the names? What do they think they're translating, The Lord of the Rings? *shakes head*

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:21 pm

Y soy Javerde! No Olvides mi nombre! No me olvides, dos quatro seis cero uno!
I could go on. I just realised how much I miss spanish

Return to “The Brick”