Canon Romances

Any discussion related to Victor's Hugo's Les Misérables, in any language.
Aurelia Combeferre

Canon Romances

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:35 pm

Okay, sound off about the canon pairings of Les Mis here. Love them, or hate them?

Question though: Did Hugo really base Marius and Cosette's story off his own real-life story with Adele?
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:34 pm

More or less--probably minus the Luxembourg stalking. Marius himself was definitely an avatar for the young Hugo.
[Dieu] entend ta voix, ô fille des hommes! aussi bien que celle des constellations; car rien n'est petit pour celui devant lequel rien n'est grand.
- George Sand, Les sept cordes de la lyre

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:20 am

:lol: Makes me wonder who Hugo based Éponine off.

Personally, I enjoy the Marius/Cosette pairing, simply because it makes more sense in the Brick than it ever will in the musical. I think the canon romance I will never understand is the Thenardiers.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Viorica

Postby Viorica » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:04 pm

I have a (probably completely off-base as I haven't checked the timelines) theory that he based her on his daughter Adele who had a bit of a stalking problem.
"She wanted equally to die and move to Paris"- Madame Bovary

Sherwood Forest- The Original Series

Frédéric Dumont

Postby Frédéric Dumont » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:20 pm

Luckily Marius is such a harmless stalker. :lol:

I, too, think that Marius/Cosette is a pairing that absolutely makes sense and works out. Marius/Éponine? Nah. Especially not in the book.

aka Darth Gilthoron
I am the lawrr and the lawrr is not mocked! *growl*
THE BLOOD OF THE SPAMBOTS SHALL WATER THE MEADOWS OF FRANCE!!!

bigR

Postby bigR » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:14 am

Well, I have to say that my favourite canon couple is m. and mme. Thénardier. That fierce huge woman with a head full of romance novels and so totally faithful to her small sleek husband in an animal way is priceless. And I have to admit that I have a small crush on thénardier ( :oops: )since I saw Christian Clavier in the depardieu miniseries...

I don't like that much Marius/Cosette though. I have no problem with Cosette but I never liked book marius. She could have done better.

And about the stalking, I kind of remember reading that Hugo did stalk and spy on Adèle for a while, when his mother forbid him to see her. Silly mummy's boy. I don't like Hugo as a person either.
IL N' Y A QUE LE RIDICULE QUI TUE

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:02 pm

:lol:

The only anecdote that I know about Hugo's love life involves the time that his wife got too friendly with another man. Thus (according to my teacher) begins Hugo's penchant for mistresses?

SylvieProuvaire1832

Postby SylvieProuvaire1832 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:10 pm

The only anecdote that I know about Hugo's love life involves the time that his wife got too friendly with another man. Thus (according to my teacher) begins Hugo's penchant for mistresses?

I think I remember reading that...

I personally think Marius/Cosette is sweet and cute and generally harmless, but I have a friend who hates both of them. She finds the way Cosette and Marius treated Valjean at the end completely unforgivable...I think it has to do with her own parental situation; her mother died of cancer a few years ago and I think she hates seeing them treat a parent like that.
Have courage for the greatest sorrows of life and patience for the small ones, and when you have labouriously acomplished your daily tasks, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.

MllePaula

Postby MllePaula » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:28 pm

SylvieProuvaire1832 wrote:

I think I remember reading that...

I personally think Marius/Cosette is sweet and cute and generally harmless, but I have a friend who hates both of them. She finds the way Cosette and Marius treated Valjean at the end completely unforgivable...I think it has to do with her own parental situation; her mother died of cancer a few years ago and I think she hates seeing them treat a parent like that.

You know, that's eerily similar to my own personal experience. I saw the musical at 14 and, while I pretty much fell in love with Hugh as Marius, I felt the way your friend did...and that was reinforced when I read the novel.

On top of that, I could see a parallel between the Valjean/Cosette relationship and my own. I was raised by a foster-mother...an older grea-aunt.

And I remember being so upset at the whole business with Marius, Cosette, and Valjean that I decided I'd never let that happen to us...that even if a Marius came into my life, I wouldn't leave my great-aunt. I knew she was getting on in years (she was in her 60s at the time) and that, if I left her, she would have no one to help her if she became ill or too old to take care of herself...especially since she'd been estranged from most of her family for years.

I remember thinking, "I won't be a Cosette!"

So, when my best friend asked me to marry him and move to Chicago, I said no.

Three years ago, my great-aunt was suffering from advanced stages of cancer. It was a terrible seven month for us...I was her sole caregiver and she regretted putting me through that. I had never told her about turning down my best friend or my little Les Miz epiphany...and she constantly told me I should have left while I had a chance.

I can't say I "hate" Marius/Cosette...but I'm not terribly fond of them.

And I guess Les Miz is the reason I'm still single...though I don't regret my choice to stay.

Frédéric Dumont

Postby Frédéric Dumont » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:36 am

How about your best friend, did you ever explain that to him?

aka Darth Gilthoron

I am the lawrr and the lawrr is not mocked! *growl*

THE BLOOD OF THE SPAMBOTS SHALL WATER THE MEADOWS OF FRANCE!!!

MllePaula

Postby MllePaula » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:06 pm

Frédéric Dumont wrote:How about your best friend, did you ever explain that to him?

No...actually, I never did. He wasn't hurt or anything when I turned him down. Either he figured it out because he knows me well enough or he figured I just didn't want to marry a gay guy.

I did end up explaining it to Hugh, though. But I blame the wine.

merlin_emrys

Postby merlin_emrys » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:34 pm

I absolutely love Marius and Cosette just because I am hopelessly in love with the idea of "souls with senses." As Grantaire would say. (Page 899 of my edition). While I'm not that crazy about the idea of love at first sight, which is, I think what it was like in the musical (correct me if I'm wrong, I've only watched the TAC on DVD so I could've missed something), the way their love develops in the book was just so beautiful, so hopelessly sweet and tender, that I couldn't help but love it.

Ulkis

Postby Ulkis » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:12 am

Speaking of Marius and Cosette, one of the few moments Hugo doesn't sketch out is the first time Cosette knows Valjean knows about Marius, or Valjean tells Cosette he knows about Marius, whichever. You gotta wonder if Valjean broached the subject himself, which would be super awkward for Valjean, poor fellow, and in that case, if he just passively aggressively was kinda like, "so, seeing anyone lately? Maybe in garden? Chatting up anyone?" Cosette: :?

Gervais

Re: Canon Romances

Postby Gervais » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:19 am

Ulkis wrote:Speaking of Marius and Cosette, one of the few moments Hugo doesn't sketch out is the first time Cosette knows Valjean knows about Marius, or Valjean tells Cosette he knows about Marius, whichever. You gotta wonder if Valjean broached the subject himself, which would be super awkward for Valjean, poor fellow, and in that case, if he just passively aggressively was kinda like, "so, seeing anyone lately? Maybe in garden? Chatting up anyone?" Cosette: :?

I've thought about that a bit, and more or less decided that he told her briefly about the barricades, and then she was too worried over Marius to really care that their secret was out. But that's a great way to put it. :lol:

I'll second (or whatever number now) the love for the fact that Marius and Cosette's love takes time in the Brick, as opposed to love at first sight in the musical. Even if there is a bit of that, it takes awhile for it to really take hold.

Would Montparnasse/Éponine be considered Canon Romance? They have something going on, and it isn't ideal if it is, but I don't even know if it could be considered a strong example of that, at any rate. Even if the Rose notes say "In other words, he would rather sleep with Éponine than rob with Thernardier," or something equally ridiculous (Over explaining of the Nemorin reference.). Maybe it could, though, and I admit to liking the pairing in some fanfic.

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

Majestic_Picnob

Re: Canon Romances

Postby Majestic_Picnob » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:17 am

I like Marius/Cosette because I identify with both of them; I'm just about that age where I'm eager to go out into the world and find my destiny. This in turn makes me also very sympathetic to Valjean; I can't really relate directly to him, but I definitely see him in my own parents who are having to get used to an empty nest.
"Oh my God! I'll never have time to strike a pose!"

Return to “The Brick”