Canon Romances

Any discussion related to Victor's Hugo's Les Misérables, in any language.
Rachel

Re: Canon Romances

Postby Rachel » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:12 am

Would Montparnasse/Éponine be considered Canon Romance? They have something going on, and it isn't ideal if it is, but I don't even know if it could be considered a strong example of that, at any rate. Even if the Rose notes say "In other words, he would rather sleep with Éponine than rob with Thernardier," or something equally ridiculous (Over explaining of the Nemorin reference.). Maybe it could, though, and I admit to liking the pairing in some fanfic.

Montparnasse is called Thénardier's unofficial son-in-law, though, at one point, so it's clear that they had something more than just sex. Or maybe he got one of those sketchy letters that Marius got where Éponine is "at his command."

Clearly, I have fantastic luck in the dating field.

Quotes to live by:
"This is highly illegal!" ~Inspector Javert (The Girl Nextdoor)

meow139

Postby meow139 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:19 am

Rachel wrote:
Would Montparnasse/Éponine be considered Canon Romance? They have something going on, and it isn't ideal if it is, but I don't even know if it could be considered a strong example of that, at any rate. Even if the Rose notes say "In other words, he would rather sleep with Éponine than rob with Thernardier," or something equally ridiculous (Over explaining of the Nemorin reference.). Maybe it could, though, and I admit to liking the pairing in some fanfic.

Montparnasse is called Thénardier's unofficial son-in-law, though, at one point, so it's clear that they had something more than just sex. Or maybe he got one of those sketchy letters that Marius got where Éponine is "at his command."

:shock: Oooh dear.

Well, I for one have always been curious about Parnasse/Ponine (Montponine? Parnine? Eponasse?). Were they friends or did they actually have a close relationship? On the one hand in the attack on Rue Plumet, Montparnasse warns Éponine that he has a knife open, and then later on he says he would have hit her and gets snapped at by... Babet, I think. So those are two sides of a coin right there. Did they have something Romantic? Or maybe Thenardier let Montparnasse have Éponine to keep him helping them? I can't help liking the idea that they were close.
I change barricade boyfriends by the day.

Rachel

Postby Rachel » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:23 am

meow139 wrote:
Rachel wrote:

:shock: Oooh dear.

Well, I for one have always been curious about Parnasse/Ponine (Montponine? Parnine? Eponasse?). Were they friends or did they actually have a close relationship? On the one hand in the attack on Rue Plumet, Montparnasse warns Éponine that he has a knife open, and then later on he says he would have hit her and gets snapped at by... Babet, I think. So those are two sides of a coin right there. Did they have something Romantic? Or maybe Thenardier let Montparnasse have Éponine to keep him helping them? I can't help liking the idea that they were close.

In my head it's always been a sort of friends-with-benefits relationship. Like, they're both aware that they live in a dangerous world and that they're playing with fire, and maybe they'd be a bit regretful if the other got burned, but they've both got to survive and they care more about their own survival than each other. It's up to the reader, at any rate.

Clearly, I have fantastic luck in the dating field.

Quotes to live by:
"This is highly illegal!" ~Inspector Javert (The Girl Nextdoor)

Little Cozelma

Postby Little Cozelma » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:43 am

I'll never be capable of feeling sympathy for Marius/Cosette. I'll never forget that their love is based on external appearance.

CeridwenLynne
Location: At the Cafe Musain discussing politics with Enjolras.

Postby CeridwenLynne » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:10 pm

I've always liked the Marius Cosette romance. I believe that they are well-suited for each other.
" He makes no vain sacrifice who fights for a cause. All here are ready to die so that our brothers may live as free men. Liberty... sweet liberty... come fight with those who defend you." ----Enjolras.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:54 pm

If you only count first impression (well second I suppose!) as the basis for love, and don't see that love is something that develops, in this case because they keep on finding more things to like about each other, then my love for my boyfriend is based on pyromania! So I'm not going to hate on them, especially when there is so much in their backgrounds that I can imagine both were really really keen for someone to love and to love them.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

LauraLeZunzu

Postby LauraLeZunzu » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:47 am

My favourite couple is Marius/Cosette. I remember when I first watched the musical I was like "Yeah, again the blonde rich pretty chick, how unusual", buuuut it totally made sense when I read the book. I love the way they are atracted to each other, how they ingenously approach in the Luxembourgh... and how Hugo describes the love (besides the part that Marius get an eye on Cosette because of his ti... I mean, 15 years like Hugo wrote down ;) ). But nah seriously, I don't think it was physical, but what Hugo said: love found in the eyes, in the sight. Like he said that has become very topical because of romantic novels, but I still believe you can feel atracted to someone by the way they look at you.
Though I agree that it might be weird, I think that the Thenardiers romance makes sense, even more in that time. Maybe nowadays it wouldn't be, but in XIX century I think that couple dynamic would be typical. And both of them are bad (though maybe the woman a little less, but still selfish).
merlin_emrys wrote:I absolutely love Marius and Cosette just because I am hopelessly in love with the idea of "souls with senses." As Grantaire would say. (Page 899 of my edition). While I'm not that crazy about the idea of love at first sight, which is, I think what it was like in the musical (correct me if I'm wrong, I've only watched the TAC on DVD so I could've missed something), the way their love develops in the book was just so beautiful, so hopelessly sweet and tender, that I couldn't help but love it.

Agree with all of this :D

Mlle de Rosé

Postby Mlle de Rosé » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:37 pm

I really love Marius/Cosette as a couple. When I read the passage in the book where they talk to each other for the first time in the Plumet house garden, I cried. I know, I'm such a cry-baby, hehe, it was just really beautiful. Also their relationship makes so much more sense in the book as a whole, even though I find that they really tried their best to make them seem like soulmates in the musical with Marius singing his "I'm lost until she's found" in Éponine's Errand, and then later when she meets Cosette in A Heart Full of Love "I am lost" and she answers "I am found" .
"Les Mis never leaves you, it stays in your heart forever." - Samantha Barks

Return to “The Brick”