The Care and Feeding of Bricks

Any discussion related to Victor's Hugo's Les Misérables, in any language.
MllePaula

Postby MllePaula » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:51 am

When I was going up, I was raised that it was practically a grave sacrilege to write or mark a book beyond writing one's name or a gift inscription on the flyleaf.

That said, I do a ton of research these days and, if it's not a valuable book or on loan, I do make notes IN PENCIL...and feel a little twinge. If it's a book I'm reading for my own enjoyment, I don't write in it.

My Brick is, for some reason, the major exception. It's got tons of underlines, folded page corners, post-it notes...a real mess.

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:20 am

Ah, the Brick:

My abridged Brick is currently with a college friend of mine (the mystic-sage of my org). I really wonder when he'll get around to finishing it...
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Ulkis

Re: The Care and Feeding of Bricks

Postby Ulkis » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:54 pm

Aaaand now the back cover has fallen off my Norman Denny version. It is officially now coverless, and now I can get a new copy without feeling bad. So long, Denny version. You served me well, even if you did decide it was okay to just skip lines whenever you felt they were too excessive.

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:15 pm

Time to get a MacAffee or something just as good! :D
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Ulkis

Postby Ulkis » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:51 pm

I'll be happy with something that is actually unabridged!

Lara

Postby Lara » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:15 am

My parents don't understand my desire for another translation but I don't want to rough up my copy too much. I'll just wait it out.

Postby 9430 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:59 am

I have another translation but I have actually found that the Denny is much more readable than that or the versions online. Therefore the Denny gets most looked after because I am not annotating it or anything, just reading it for pleasure. All my annotations go into the Rose translation, which also has much lower quality paper and already sits strangely due to its tendency to buckle when upright.

Not that I don't look after both of them. Just one more so. (And my shiny French versions get very much looked after!)
aka Fiwen

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:08 am

I only use the online translations for when I am working on my Filipino translations (it's easier than retyping from the book). But I tend to refer to the MacAffee-Fahnestock translation frequently all the same. Said translation is up in my room, where it ought to be safe. At least till I get a proper book case.

goodythreeshoes

Postby goodythreeshoes » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:59 pm

I only have one Brick, and I don't think it counts as a Brick because it's part of the 100 Classic Books Game on my Nintendo. I've read it loads of times though, and I'm hoping to get an actual copy for my birthday soon.
Je ne suis pas notaire, c'est la faute a Voltaire. Je suis un petit oiseau, c'est la faute a Rosseau.

Usefulbeauty

Postby Usefulbeauty » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:31 pm

It can go on your Nintendo? That's actually kind of awesome. Everyone else is like, "Mario Kart race!" and you could be all like, "Anyone up for a spot of Les Misérables?" It could be handy at parties. ;)
Is it the unabridged edition and everything? It seems like a huge book to go on a little game system.
Let us read and let us dance--two amusements that will never do any harm to the world.
- Voltaire

goodythreeshoes

Postby goodythreeshoes » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:40 pm

Yeah, there's 100 books on there and Les Miz is one of them. I think it's unabridged, it's got 11599 pages- (though the screen is tiny.)
Je ne suis pas notaire, c'est la faute a Voltaire. Je suis un petit oiseau, c'est la faute a Rosseau.

goodythreeshoes

Postby goodythreeshoes » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:21 pm

Hah, I finally ordered a proper copy :) It's the Julie Rose translation, I hear it's pretty good with the not-leaving-things-out.

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:38 pm

Enjoy your reading!! :D

goodythreeshoes

Postby goodythreeshoes » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:18 pm

Woo! My Julie Rose just arrived. It's utterly beautiful, the pages are white and so thin that I'm scared of turning them incase I make a mark, the cover is embellished beautifully, and it's so massive that I now understand why everyone calls it "The Brick." It's insanely huge. I'm used to reading it on my nintendo, which is pretty small, so you can imagine my suprise when this monster came in the post. The translation is good- my nintendo version is different, so it's like reading a whole new story. I do have some issues with it- mainly on the modern slang she uses. For example, she calls the Thenardier's Inn a "greasy spoon." And when I skipped to some of the more memorable scenes to compare the translations, I was shocked to read Enjolras and Grantaire's death scene. In my first "copy," Grantaire asks "Do you permit it?" on the subject of being killed with Enjolras. Gorgeous. In this one, however, he says "All right with you?" Not so gorgeous. It just sort of ruins that scene for me. I'll probably find more things like that, but so far it's pretty good. I'm halfway through the convent bit now.

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:01 am

*jaw drop*

That translation of the death scene was just...sad. Even if Enjolras and Grantaire were put in more *modern* language, I doubt they would be so...informal.

Return to “The Brick”