The Care and Feeding of Bricks

Any discussion related to Victor's Hugo's Les Misérables, in any language.
Aurelia Combeferre

The Care and Feeding of Bricks

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:59 am

A slightly strange thread to discuss other aspects of reading the Brick: how many copies do you own? Have you ever passed on a copy to a family member/friend? Ever have to rescue or resuscitate an old copy of yours? And if you own more than one Brick, which one is your favorite and why?
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:57 am

I own three copies, possibly soon to be four. One is an antique hardcover of the Wilbour translation, one is the Fahnestock/MacAfee grey paperback, and one is three volumes and in French. I might be getting the Maurice Allem annotated edition (French) for Christmas, which would make me SO HAPPY.

The paperback translation is my first and most frequently-read copy--so frequently read, in fact, that it literally fell apart and is now held together by duct tape. It's beat-up, sticky-noted, dog-eared, food-stained, scribbled-upon, and generally abused, but I love it so.
Last edited by Marianne on Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
[Dieu] entend ta voix, ô fille des hommes! aussi bien que celle des constellations; car rien n'est petit pour celui devant lequel rien n'est grand.
- George Sand, Les sept cordes de la lyre

Annelise

Postby Annelise » Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:14 am

I only have one copy...I don't like having more than one, but don't ask me why! :)
It's a used copy of the Wilbour translation as well, and it's a bit beat up around the corner, but not much. The section with Fantine's story has tons of sticky-note bookmarks from when I was studying for my high school production of LM, and one inside cover is signed by the Broadway cast when I went there in September. :)
I live in a world of my own thoughts, where my plans and dreams float about…I hope that you will get to know all my good sides better—those you know and those you don’t know yet. Everything in its own time. -Ala Gertner

Schmerg_The_Impaler

Postby Schmerg_The_Impaler » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:22 pm

I only have a library copy of the Wilbour translation, but no one ever checks it out from my school library, so I'm safe. I've never read any other translation.

However, I do have two different translations of "Notre Dame de Paris"/"Hunchback of Notre Dame," as well as one of those illustrated classics versions of it for kids. I've loved that book for a long time... I just recently got into Les Misérables.

Let's just be glad that this thread isn't about Harry Potter books...
I am playing the Queen of France right now in a play. Try not to decapitate me.

Mademoiselle Lanoire

Postby Mademoiselle Lanoire » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:41 pm

Four - one French, two English, one Mandarin. The French is the Pocket Classiques 3 volume edition. One of the English copies I got from a used book dealer. It was rather worn, though, and it'll probably have to go in for repair when I have the money to spare. The other English is the Modern Library edition. The Mandarin I printed off a website and put it in a binder.

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:26 pm

I only have the one. I'd like a French one (particularly that annotated French one that Marianne noted above) but LM is not La Commedia so I don't need more than one English translation of it.

Mine is the 1260-page hardcover Modern Library Classics binding of the Charles Wilbour translation. Wilbour's translation might've been archaic but his was done right after Hugo published it so I have a special love for it. I won't get any other translation. <3

The pages have a few sticky notes as well as Latin annotations (and translations from Hugo's Latin!)
and to this day, she's glided on
always home but so far away
like a word misplaced
nothing said, what a waste

~pearl jam, "dissident"

Viorica

Postby Viorica » Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:57 pm

One copy, the Denny translation, Penguin Classics edition. It's kind of scuffed from being carried around in my backpack. The cover illustration is a detail from "Battle at the St. Denis Gate, 1830". Here's a picture. There's a beautiful hardcover edition at Chapters, with a ribbon bookmark and a cover illustration of little!Cosette (the original one). But I din't have the money for it.
"She wanted equally to die and move to Paris"- Madame Bovary

Sherwood Forest- The Original Series

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:08 pm

I have a hardbound MacAfee-Fahnestock edition (based off the Wilbour translation), and another abridged text that I was forced to use in high school.

I love my hardbound edition mainly because of the footnotes and the pics from the Broadway production, and some pictures of Victor Hugo as well. However, I do fear for its safety---my sis is borrowing it for our trip later this week, and we are going to the beach.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

MllePaula

Postby MllePaula » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:22 pm

I have my first copy of The Brick that I rushed out to buy years ago after seeing the 1st NT.

It's wrapped in tape like a mummy, a good portion of the pages are folded over to mark things of interest. It accompanied me through high school in the bottom of my bag.

I used to buy purses based on whether or not my Brick would fit in there and still leave room for things like a wallet and make-up.

It currently resides in my backpack with a copy of my other favorite book, A.S. Byatt's Possession. A photo of myself with Hugh is tucked in the pages to serve as a bookmark as needed.

It's the standard gray paperback with the little Cosette logo.

I bought a new copy of it once it got shabby, but I've hardly touched it. I don't know why since it's identical. But that first copy is sort of a first love.

I also have a very old three-volume set with a nice dark green and gold binding. I'll have to check and see what edition it is.

I'll take a picture of my beat-up Brick when I get home.

Citizen_Aku

Postby Citizen_Aku » Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:58 pm

I have the library's OTHER copy, also the Wilbour translation. It's about two weeks overdue and sitting on my desk right now. It makes me happy.
Real men fight by singing in counterpoint.

98% Machiavellian and demmed proud of it!

Frédéric Dumont

Postby Frédéric Dumont » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:41 am

I own a German edition, hardcover, white and red and with a drawing by Hugo on the cover, an allegory of misery.

aka Darth Gilthoron
I am the lawrr and the lawrr is not mocked! *growl*
THE BLOOD OF THE SPAMBOTS SHALL WATER THE MEADOWS OF FRANCE!!!

Mlle. Marcelle

Postby Mlle. Marcelle » Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:41 am

I have one copy, the Denny translation, Penguin Classics. I bought it from my work, and now spend a lot of time every time I'm working trying to convince other people to buy it, and apparently it's working! *yay*

While the copies I sell, are all shiny and new, my own personal copy is battered and bruised, and the pages are wavy from being on a houseboat with me for a week in September.

SylvieProuvaire1832

Postby SylvieProuvaire1832 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:26 pm

Mine is the 1260-page hardcover Modern Library Classics binding of the Charles Wilbour translation. Wilbour's translation might've been archaic but his was done right after Hugo published it so I have a special love for it. I won't get any other translation. <3

That's my copy too! :mrgreen: It's falling apart right down the middle...at the part where Les Amis are introduced. XD I've had it for more than three years; as long as I've been a fan, and I take it everywhere I go if we're staying more than one night.
Have courage for the greatest sorrows of life and patience for the small ones, and when you have labouriously acomplished your daily tasks, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.

Frédéric Dumont

Postby Frédéric Dumont » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:42 pm

Mlle. Marcelle wrote:I have one copy, the Denny translation, Penguin Classics. I bought it from my work, and now spend a lot of time every time I'm working trying to convince other people to buy it, and apparently it's working! *yay*

While the copies I sell, are all shiny and new, my own personal copy is battered and bruised, and the pages are wavy from being on a houseboat with me for a week in September.

From this I deduct that you work at a bookshop, right?

aka Darth Gilthoron

I am the lawrr and the lawrr is not mocked! *growl*

THE BLOOD OF THE SPAMBOTS SHALL WATER THE MEADOWS OF FRANCE!!!

NukNebSesep

Postby NukNebSesep » Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:35 pm

I own four copies, soon to be five. My first Brick is nine years old, has four pages falling out, has a bent cover from the day when we were in the airport and my mother threw it in a box, accusing it of weighing too much and causing our luggage to be five pounds over the weight limit. It is the Norman Denny edition. My second Brick is a French edition, divided into two volumes, two years old, and already beginning to show the signs of too much reading. My third Brick is the huge Spanish edition I bought over the summer while in Mexico. It's still in good condition. My fourth Brick is an 1863 edition translated by Charles E. Wilbur. It is my most prized possession. The fifth Brick I will obtain is currently sitting in a Barnes and Noble in New Jersey, and has been sitting there for the last seven months, at least. It has a bent cover from some idiot who mishandled it, and I vowed to save it as soon as I return. :shock:
"Soyez comme l'oiseau, posé pour un instant sur des rameaux trop frèles, qui sent plier la branche, mais qui chante pourtant, sachant qu'il a des ailes" V.Hugo

Return to “The Brick”