The Care and Feeding of Bricks

Any discussion related to Victor's Hugo's Les Misérables, in any language.
humanracer

Re: The Care and Feeding of Bricks

Postby humanracer » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:25 am

I may well splash out on a vintage one once I am done with F/M. I look on ebay every day but the prices are sky high. I would want one with illustrations. I am also tempted by these complete Victor Hugo sets that usually go for hundreds if not thousands of pounds. Also most of the early versions were multiple volumes and complete sets are hard to come by. I notice the Folio Society edition is now out of print.

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:23 pm

That would be wonderful, Humanracer! Sometimes I look for leather-bound or antique copies online, but yes, like you said, the prices are just ridiculous. :( Oh, well. Maybe someday.

humanracer wrote: I notice the Folio Society edition is now out of print.

If we're talking the 1976 one, well, you were talking about illustrations...I believe it features some....interesting ones. :wink: Though wait, nevermind, I guess it was reprinted with different ones, later. Oh, well. It's a pity; that might have explained it...
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:33 pm

Marius, how do you manage to bring those up every time I've finally been able to forget them??? :evil: :(

Humanracer, do you have a local antique book store? I know one near me had a 1940s or 50s-ish copy for around fifty dollars, which probably isn't as old as what you were looking at, but is an okay price.

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

simosax24601

Postby simosax24601 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:30 pm

This is my only copy :)

It will come, citizens, that day when all shall be concord, harmony, light, joy and life; it will come, and it is so that it may come that we are going to die.

We strive towards a larger goal! Our little lives don't count at all!

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:57 pm

...Why does Hugo look like he's from Rocky and Bullwinkle? :lol: (No offense if you like it, of course, but really, that is probably the most...interesting cover I've seen. :lol: )

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

simosax24601

Postby simosax24601 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:24 pm

I don't know XD
It will come, citizens, that day when all shall be concord, harmony, light, joy and life; it will come, and it is so that it may come that we are going to die.

We strive towards a larger goal! Our little lives don't count at all!

CeridwenLynne
Location: At the Cafe Musain discussing politics with Enjolras.

Postby CeridwenLynne » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:36 pm

I have 4 copies: one paperback, one hardback, and two different translations downloaded digitally.
" He makes no vain sacrifice who fights for a cause. All here are ready to die so that our brothers may live as free men. Liberty... sweet liberty... come fight with those who defend you." ----Enjolras.

humanracer

Postby humanracer » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:31 pm

There IS a hardcover of F/M but it is very rare. It was published by the New American Library in 1987 and features 16 pages of photographs from the Broadway production.
http://www.jacketflap.com/bookdetail.as ... 5551948803

Good luck finding it!

p0nine

Postby p0nine » Thu May 29, 2014 5:37 pm

I currently own one copy of the Brick and that would be the standard Signet classics Fahnestock/MacAfee paperback. It's only like a year old (yes, yes, I just read it for the first time a year ago) but it's filled with sticky flags, scribblings in the margins, etc. and the spine and covers are already beat up (not too much, just lots of creases). In one year it's already been very well loved.
Here's a picture:

but then! today I ordered the gorgeous Word Count Classics version, which I completely fell in love with. I found a brand new, super cheap copy on Amazon and impulse bought it as quickly as I possibly could. Also it's the Hapgood translation which is the one I wanted to read next anyway soo yay! I'm so excited to get it!

Barricade Butterfly

Postby Barricade Butterfly » Fri May 30, 2014 1:15 am

I was given a Denny with the movie cover on it, and stuck faithfully to it. Till I got the Wilbour from my library in response to a translations thread here, and realized what horrible edits had been made!
So, my Denny now is creased and the cover bent from being toted around, but it also has penciled-in corrections, pun explanations, missing lines, and notes that were either copied off of the Wilbour, or compared and just left be because I liked it better. :D
"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words, and which cannot be silenced"--Victor Hugo

Darkhorse

Postby Darkhorse » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:49 am

One copy, the Wordsworth Wilbour. I specifically looked for that one, but I'd love a copy of the French (except I don't know French, my project for the summer is to learn it.)

TheOfficeIsClosed

Postby TheOfficeIsClosed » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:21 pm

I have the (unabridged) French version, very recent edition though seeing as it's got Isabelle Allen's face on the cover!! Don't especially mind that though, since I like her better than the average stage little Cosette, and her eyeses are pretty to look at :mrgreen: It may or may not be second hand, 'twas a Christmas present so I don't know for sure, but it has little pen marks on several pages which were there long before I actually got to those bits, plus the pages are going slightly yellow but that's probably just me reading it and taking it places and stuff :P

Otherwise it's in pretty good condition, except that the cover and first few pages are a bit creased and bent, and the cover's kind of started separating into layers at the edges(if you know what I mean?), but I know those things are definitely my own doing! :roll:
My theatre never closes and the curtain's never down!

Gavroche

Postby Gavroche » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:27 pm

My collection of Bricks:

The (abridged) Penguin audiobook
The paperback M/F translation from Signet
Norman Denny movie-tie in cover
A hardcover Charles Wilbour translation with Little Cosette on the cover
A Word Cloud Classics leather-bound Hapgood translation
A hardcover from the bargain section of Barnes and Noble
And then I have an abridged (400-something pages) paperback published by Fawcett (recieved this as a gift)
And then I have two paperbacks of Notre-Dame de Paris :wink:
C'est la faute à Voltaire / Misère est mon trousseau / C'est la faute à Rousseau.
-Gavroche Thénardier

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:03 am

Just Kindle. Must remedy this.

Edit: I went to Half Price Books and looked, but all they had were abridgements and they didn't look like any too good ones, either. So no go there.
Don't mess with Texas! We mess up enough by ourselves.
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now.

BarricadeRebel

Postby BarricadeRebel » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:17 pm

I currently own two copies: an abridged (grrrr) with translations for argot and stuff, and an unabridged version without argot and other translations.

Return to “The Brick”