The Care and Feeding of Bricks

Any discussion related to Victor's Hugo's Les Misérables, in any language.
Valancy

Re: The Care and Feeding of Bricks

Postby Valancy » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:08 am

A random note... I'm rereading the book now, for the first time in 7 years or so... A few days ago I read the introductions of Les Amis, both in my Finnish translation and French original to make sure the translation isn't missing anything important... And it's like "hell, I still know every word as though I last read it yesterday and learned it by heart then... in both languages". Do I have an obsessive past or what?

LesMisPhangirl

Postby LesMisPhangirl » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:36 am

For those who have multiple brick translations if you could only keep one of those copies which one would you keep? I'm reading through the brick online and after that I'd like to get an unabridged actual paper and ink copy of my own but being on a limited budget I should stick with only one for right now therefore I'd like to get the most recommended translation out there. Sadly I don't speak enough French to just get an original French copy.
Not active on here much, lurking only when necessary, for reasons most don't need to know. Contact info's on my profile. I might be active again later. I don't know. Until then lovelies!

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:19 am

My 3 volume German edition: http://i56.tinypic.com/desqbt.jpg

Republished during the Duisburg run and was very cheap in the late 90s for such a monster, and apart from the chapter about Argot, which the translators deemed untranslatable, complete(about 1500 pages) with annotations. Some pages fade out a bit nowadays but still kept in good condition and very readable. The first I read however was a quite worn copy from the local library and was about 1200 pages.
Resident Les Miz prop expert and collector
Non licet omnibus adire Corinthum
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

Gigi

Postby Gigi » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:20 pm

The first version I read was a Finnish abridged one that I found in my parents' book shelf. The translator's name isn't said there but I dug it up online and if I'm not completely mistaken, the translator was a poet. Now that I'm re-reading the book in French I'm becoming more and more aware of how much stuff was chopped off the translation :evil:

Now I'm reading the French Les Classiques de Poche divided into two parts. There's a LOT of footnotes which I hate because you have to stop reading and look at the bottom of the page only to read some boring remark such as "Victor Hugo's mother was born this year". I actually stopped reading those. And then there's a whole bunch of notes at the end of the book. How many notes do you need in one book???
"Un incendie peut faire une aurore sans doute, mais pourquoi ne pas attendre le lever du jour?"

MamzelleCombeferre

Postby MamzelleCombeferre » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:56 pm

I own the Julie Rose Modern Library Translation and the Penguin Classics one. My Julie Rose copy is in pretty good shape, being hard cover, but my Penguin Classics one has seen better days. The spine of it actually split down the middle, so its two halves are being held together with packing tape. Several pages are being held in with tape too.
KITTENS AND UNICORNS AND RAINBOWS OH MY! *Sparkles*

Taelin

Postby Taelin » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:15 pm

Just got my Signet Classics edition to go along with my Everyman's Library one. You guys are making me a Brick collector. :lol:

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:43 pm

I used to have both the Signet Classics and Julie Rose (both paperback), but I donated the Signet one to a library book swap and Rose is on indefinite loan to a friend, leaving me with my digital copies (One of which has weird typos, and the other is only Tome I but in French). The Signet one had a few notes in the margins, and the last time I saw the Rose the beginning of the endnotes was pretty easy to find from being dog-eared. I almost got a beautiful Wilbour from the 1940s or 50s at a used book store, but was talked into getting Gone With the Wind instead. :( It wasn't even an especially nice GWTW, either. :(

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

WhoIam

Postby WhoIam » Thu May 23, 2013 6:54 pm

I have a pretty hardcover copy and a paperback version which comes with me wherever I go. Neither are falling apart... Yet. I've had both of them for about a month and a half.

I replace the nonargot in my paperback with the proper argot, e.g. replacing kiddos with momes. And I have a note in the margins comparing Grantaire's drunken speech to Mercutio's oration.

The cover and binding is already very creased, but I am trying to make it last beyond the six-month point of possession.
All the world's a party, and I'm usually the awkward wallflower in the corner with a glass of water and a copy of Les Mis.

Rachel

Postby Rachel » Fri May 24, 2013 5:57 am

I have Denny's, but recently I was in a bookstore and found what may have been the most terribly abridged version of the book... ever.

THEY CUT ORESTES FASTING AND PYLADES DRUNK

AND MADE NO EXPLANATION

SO, IN THIS ABRIDGED VERSION IT'S TOTALLY CANON THAT ENJOLRAS AND GRANTAIRE BOTH SURVIVE.

And they cut "A Group that Nearly Became Historic"

Clearly, I have fantastic luck in the dating field.

Quotes to live by:
"This is highly illegal!" ~Inspector Javert (The Girl Nextdoor)

WhoIam

Postby WhoIam » Fri May 24, 2013 2:12 pm

ARE THEY OUT OF THEIR MINDS?!? :evil:
All the world's a party, and I'm usually the awkward wallflower in the corner with a glass of water and a copy of Les Mis.

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Fri May 24, 2013 2:23 pm

Wait a minute. Rachel, was this one with a green cover? Published by Fawcett.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

freedomlover
Location: The Barricade of Freedom!!! or the Saint-Merri Barricade

Postby freedomlover » Fri May 24, 2013 4:26 pm

That's horrible R! :(

I have the Julie Rose translation, but the binding is horribly weak- so i'll be getting a new one, and I have an electronic version on my IPod.
ImageTime Machine Theory:According to some people, Hugo had a time machine and based Enjolras on this user but made a male version of this user.

Mademoiselle Mabeuf
Location: Waiting in the parlor hall or leaning on the office wall

Postby Mademoiselle Mabeuf » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:02 am

They cut OFAPD? Nuuuu!
I just have an Isabel Hapgood ebook. Sigh. I checked the Wilbour out of the library and, when I compared it, found I liked the Hapgood better....it might just be that it was the first one I read. :oops:
"He never left home without a book under his arm, and often returned with two..."
^Victor Hugo on my life.
When I rule the world I'll plant flowers. :twisted:

R the Cynic

Postby R the Cynic » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:49 pm

Rachel wrote:I have Denny's, but recently I was in a bookstore and found what may have been the most terribly abridged version of the book... ever.

AND MADE NO EXPLANATION

SO, IN THIS ABRIDGED VERSION IT'S TOTALLY CANON THAT ENJOLRAS AND GRANTAIRE BOTH SURVIVE.

And they cut "A Group that Nearly Became Historic"

That is HORRIBLE!!!!

First of all, no one's supposed to survive les mis :wink: and second of all, I SOBBED at E&R's reconciliation and death!!

Also AGTNBH- one of the best chapters! <3<3 les amis!!!
He who does not weep does not see.

'Vive la Rèpublique! I belong to it!'

Je n'entrave que le dail comment meck, le daron des orgues, peut atiger ses mômes et ses momingards et les locher criblant sans être agité lui-même.

saminana

Postby saminana » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:47 am

Rachel wrote:

Just found one abridged in our school library and discovered the same here. It does even include some nice pictures and questions after every chapter but NO! there is something missing, something IMPORTANT!!
-Who's there?
-French Revolution!

Return to “The Brick”