Stupid things you've thought/missed while reading

Any discussion related to Victor's Hugo's Les Misérables, in any language.

Stupid things you've thought/missed while reading

Postby 23623 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:14 pm

I've been thinking about this for a long time actually. Since there's a "stupid things" thread in the stage section, why not start one in the book section as well? :D

In fact I have no idea how difficult it is to follow the plot for someone who has absolutely no prior knowledge. I read the book after watching the musical so I knew pretty much everything, which made reading relatively easy. Still I had some silly misunderstandings on my first read, like...
- Honestly I suspected that Gavroche was Gervais when he was first introduced.
- Speaking of Gavroche, I totally missed that he was a Thenardier. After rereading those parts I realized it's really obvious. No idea why I didn't get that at first. :oops:
- I wondered for a long time where Catherine was after Valjean and Cosette went to Paris.
- Please don't kick me out of the forum for admitting this...I didn't realize there were 4 years between Les Amis' introduction and death. I thought everything happened in about 1830 or 1831.

So what are yours? I'm certain there must be something that I don't even know I've mistaken or missed until I read your posts! :D
Last edited by 23623 on Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Revolution, but civilization

CC21106

Re: Stupid things you've thought/missed while reading

Postby CC21106 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:15 pm

I didn't know it was four years either.
Don't mess with Texas! We mess up enough by ourselves.
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now.

TheRandomPhangirl

Postby TheRandomPhangirl » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:34 pm

On my first reading of the brick back when I was about eleven, I misread the bit about Prouvaire having "an awkward air" as having "awkward hair". My Jehan design has had terrible haircuts ever since, even after I realised my mistake in a subsequent read through :mrgreen:
Also on my first read through I somehow missed Mme T's death entirely (Not sure how that happened) and thought Lesgles and Bossuet were two completely different people.
One thing I still do, without fail, is laugh about completely random things. Like, I'll be reading a bit, and something will happen that will make me *howl*. Maybe it's awkward wording in the translation, maybe it's something that's genuinely funny, or maybe it's just me being a weirdo. Who knows.
I'm the one to shout "Down with Polignac!"

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:44 pm

I have come across a lot of discussion of the Eponine-Montparnasse relationship. Somehow I completely missed that in reading the book (four times). I must be very unobservant.
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now.

Postby 23623 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:02 pm

TheRandomPhangirl wrote:Also on my first read through I somehow missed Mme T's death entirely (Not sure how that happened) and thought Lesgles and Bossuet were two completely different people.
One thing I still do, without fail, is laugh about completely random things. Like, I'll be reading a bit, and something will happen that will make me *howl*. Maybe it's awkward wording in the translation, maybe it's something that's genuinely funny, or maybe it's just me being a weirdo. Who knows.

Well...I'm kinda surprised that I didn't think they're two different people! In fact I'm really helpless at those French names. For someone whose mother tongue is not alphabetical language, memorizing the spelling of all those names is absolutely painful. It took me forever to learn to spell "Enjolras", "Fauchelevent", "Gillenormand", etc. I admit there are a lot of names I still can't spell now. :oops:

Texchanchan wrote:I have come across a lot of discussion of the Eponine-Montparnasse relationship. Somehow I completely missed that in reading the book (four times). I must be very unobservant.

Didn't get any clue either. But it's understandable that some people ship them. People can ship everyone with everyone anyway. :mrgreen:
Revolution, but civilization

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:32 pm

_23623_ wrote:...mother tongue is not alphabetical language, memorizing the spelling of all those names is absolutely painful. It took me forever to learn to spell "Enjolras", "Fauchelevent", "Gillenormand", etc. I admit there are a lot of names I still can't spell now. :oops:

I took a long time to learn to spell some of the long names and some I haven't got yet. It is interesting to me that the first set of students, Tholomyes and his cronies, plus their spiritual brother Bamatabois, and the second set of students, the Amis, all have fancy, long names, not like Javert or what I think is the completely made-up Valjean.

Return to “The Brick”